Stihl bar stud remove tool - need recommnedation!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic so you all can see what it looks like.

117415d1260219878-ms290-017-jpg

117417d1260219910-ms290-019-jpg

Not quite understanding your pictures. I know what the saw looks like. Am I understanding you "lock" the bar stud in a vice, and then spin the attached saw to un-loosen the bar stud?

If I understand correctly & the threads on the stud are US you could try grinding/filing two flats on the stud opposite each other to be able to get a more secure grip with vise grips/ pipe wrench

On this build, I just wrenched the crap out of the stud with the vice grips and will have to spend a little for a new stud. First one I've ruined so far, so I guess I'm a little ahead.

I've done the vice on the stud , twist the saw ,like Fish said ^^^on the last few i've done. Before all i did was get frustrated and booger it up any way . So now i booger it up to begin with and get it over with, and it comes out fairly easy with the vice method. Termite

Not quite understanding your pictures. I know what the saw looks like. Am I understanding you "lock" the bar stud in a vice, and then spin the attached saw to un-loosen the bar stud?

I just put up the pics for the torch guys. The heat has a way to travel to reach the threads!!!

Of course, I take off both studs, the front one first, which comes out easily, then I pinch the back stud in a big vice and really tighten it down,
then just turn the saw body to break it loose. They really glop in the loctite as you all can see.

130880d1269634049-studs-jpg

Last edited:
I've done the vice on the stud , twist the saw ,like Fish said ^^^on the last few i've done. Before all i did was get frustrated and booger it up any way . So now i booger it up to begin with and get it over with, and it comes out fairly easy with the vice method. Termite

I tried the vise too - even took a three pound sledge to the vise handle to get it to tighten - no joy. The stud just turns in the vise. Those of you using the vise method - are you removing the front stud first to allow for vise access???

EDIT: I see Fish and I were typing at the same time. Thanks Fish.

I think the quality/grip of the vice jaws can be a factor too. Yes, I remove both to aid in shipping the case.

I have found that the older the saw, like the 029s, the harder they are to tear down, they used some serious loctite back then, as well
as the engine mounting bolts.

Probably why I hated working on them so much when they first came out.

Those studs are actually very cheap. I show $4.71 retail. The factory stud puller will mash the threads, as I have just bought one in the last few months. I do not remove the pan if I can help it on a rebuild, but if I am forced to I just throw in the towel and get a new stud. I have had luck with jam nutting it, but the nuts and the stud usually get a little fouled no matter how hard you try. For $5 it is just not worth fooling with.

And not to stir the pot, but I have to wonder if the king had previously loosened that one in the video before turning the camera on. :msp_rolleyes:

To the OP. Get a new set of vise grips with sharp jaws. NOT old raggety ones. You asked how to get it out, and this is how. NEW vise grips with brand-new fresh teeth. Put them on the side with full contact of the teeth on the shoulder part of the stud. Yes, they will hit when you turn them around, but once broken loose you can reset your grip.

SSShhhhh!!! With talk like that, he might come back out of retirement!!!!!!!!

I was hoping.

How about this.?

Demi is ugly, Elvis can't sing, Thall loves to sharpen rocked chains by the dozen, Hair gel is out of style, Wendy's number 2 is crap, Annnnd DH1984 is Thall's cousin.

That should flush him out.

And When The Threads are Gone

On those I usually just use two bar nuts, screw the first one all the way down, jam the second to it by holding the first one and tightening the second to it, and then remove using the nut nearest the saw. It works for me, takes very little time but the down side is if I lose the stud I have to find two new bar nuts too.....

+1. That works when the threads are still there. A buddy and I figured out how to remove that stud when it's snapped off at the base with ordinary tools:
(1) Drill a hole straight down and and close to the center as possible about 5/16" deep. The bit diameter should be a tad less than a 25 Torx screwdriver.
(2) Pound the Torx screwdriver into the hole. It's tapered and will jam tight.
(3) Unscrew the stud. She will probably come right out.

Those studs are actually very cheap. I show $4.71 retail. The factory stud puller will mash the threads, as I have just bought one in the last few months. I do not remove the pan if I can help it on a rebuild, but if I am forced to I just throw in the towel and get a new stud. I have had luck with jam nutting it, but the nuts and the stud usually get a little fouled no matter how hard you try. For $5 it is just not worth fooling with.

Yep, I agree. New stud set on the way. I have heard some good suggestions here I will try before I try to buy a stud removing tool. NEW vice grips first (possibly saving the front stud), then off to the bench vise after removing the front stud.

Thanks to all you experts - your willingness to help a hack like me is what makes this site GREAT.

Dan

While using a vise or Vise Grips, has anyone buggerd up anyting on the saw other than the stud trying to get the stud out? In a search, I heard one guy tell of breaking off the chain adjuster by accident - it was in the way of a wrench he was leaning on and it lost the fight.

Back