Stihl chainsaws, pronounced still or steel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
In the coarse of a discussion about fine built chainsaws yesterday at our local shop, the disagreement came up about how Stihl is supposed to be pronounced. I heard a factory rep guy years ago at a show pronounce as "steel" and I assumed because he worked for the company he should know how it is pronounced. The owner of our local shop however is a Stihl dealer, and he pronounced it as still. The handful of local guys were pretty evenly divided on the correct way.
I guess thats why I run Husky, at least there isnt any argument over how to pronounce it!:clap:
What do you think?

Thanks for the info. Glad that I havent been butchering their name, I know I get highly annoyed with folks that cant pronounce mine.

And all along I been saying st-hil . If it wasn;t for a spell clerker I'm telling you, my posts would be unreadable. When you are dislexic you rely on hearing it said, cause splling isnt a strong suite.

Ever been to a deslexics spelling bee ? As long as we get the first and last letter right and all the ones in the middle we get it right.

Last edited:
I thought for the longest time it was "still" but then the dealer corrected me one day. I figured if anyone should know it would be him.. So now I say "Steel" but every now and then "Still" slips out

Mt. Falls-style enunciations: (or W.Va.)

1. Ste-uhl
2. Hus-key-varney
3. Rotee-tiller
4. Chim-lee (chimney)
5. Zink (sink)
6. Scold (scald)
7. Char-co (charcoal)
8. Sar cream (sour cream)
9. So-ore (sore)
10. Poplar (popular)
11. Poollin (Poulan)

:dizzy:

1. Ste-uhl
2. Hus-key-varney
3. Rotee-tiller
4. Chim-lee (chimney)
5. Zink (sink)
6. Scold (scald)
7. Char-co (charcoal)
9. So-ore (sore)
10. Poplar (popular)
11. Poollin (Poulan)

bought my ebay cargo van from a guy in w.va several years ago.

still running like a bear without any problems!

1. Ste-uhl
2. Hus-key-varney
3. Rotee-tiller
4. Chim-lee (chimney)
5. Zink (sink)
6. Scold (scald)
7. Char-co (charcoal)
9. So-ore (sore)
10. Poplar (popular)
11. Poollin (Poulan)

Up this way (NH), when we think of something, we have an idear.

Laws-a-mercy, I got some soh-wah aftah workin' that roat-tah-tillah in the gah-den. Ah-yuh, the one o-vah by the stand o' poplah trees.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmugQZECMuA&hl=en&fs=1"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmugQZECMuA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back