Stihl club

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whats better Stihl or Husky?

• Stihl

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • Husky

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Its Anything Like My Ms270 It Will Get Better, It Took Mine Almost A Gallon Of Gas ( My Mix 1/4 Vp C12, 3/4 93 Octane Super And 40:1 Klotz Techniplate ) Works Real Good. Smells Nice Too

Well, look at my sig line and you can see what Stihls I have and had.

Now have:

Stihl 025 and a MS250 (same model, really): my small work in the yard saws. Minuses are: the orange plastic (cheap), plastic area around the clutch, tiny oiler, cheap air filter whose tabs tend to break if removed, PITA to tear down and work on, do not drive a .325 b&c that well. They also tend to not want to start after they are good a hot and been run for a few hours. And they are all vibration prone. They could use a good spring-loaded AV mounted system. I have noticed that on all the 1123 saws that I have had. They also have a cheap plstic chain catcher that is part of the side cover and it is prone to breaking. Pluses are: tons of 1123 saws out there and the parts swap around on all the 021/023/025/210/230/250, light saws, usually dependable, last for a while (longer than an Echo). Between the two models, I prefer the screw-in oil and gas caps on the 025 over the flippey tab tooless oil and gas caps of the 250. I also have a scored 230 that I cannabilize to keep the two running. I plan on selling off all of my 1123 saws and replacing them with a 260 or an 026. Same size, better power, I can run all 3/8 standard chain, far easier to work on, yadda yadda.

The MS290: I still :heart: my beloved boat anchor. This was the first modern Stihl that I had and used to death on a large 85 acre tree stand. I have felled a lot of trees with this saw. Minuses are: it is heavy for its power, and it has quite a lot of vibration. This line of saws could also stand a good AV spring-mount system. Pluses are: It has the German zing when it is running right, and it will run all day and night. It is depandable, and far easier to work on than a 1123 size saw. It will run 3/8 std b&C and run a 20 inch bar as well. It also has the pro-feature of an adjustable oiler. And it has the metal chain catcher that is stock on pro saws. Also has the advantage pf the 1123 saws that it swaps parts with the 029/031/039/290/310/390. The air filters are far better than the 1123 series with the screw mounts, but they are still lacking. For the price is is a lot of saw.

Note that the 250 and the 290 class of saws cen be upgraded with rim and drum sprocket drives to replace the stock spur ones.

The 361: I have a pair of these becasue I like them so much and I got a really good deal on the second one. They make a great pair to take into the woods. Minuses are: they can be a pain to start if they are run dry on gas, and they tend to flood if they are started with the decomp button pressed in when they are cold. The stock dogs are a tad small for the saw. They have small oilers if you want to run a 28 inch bar. Upgradable though. Pluses are: they are good mid-range pro saws, with metal frame and good plastic in the handles. They tear down easilly and they are easy to work on. They are strong runners, have good throttle response, and they will run all day, all night and all the next day and night. I have never had one fail on me. They have good power for the weight. They also have some good modification and upgrade options. Like a 3/4 wrap handle, larger dog spikes, and roller chain catcher. The saw does will with a wide range of bars, from 16 inch to 28 inch. With an 18 or 16 inch b&c I swap out the rim from the stock 7 pin to an 8 pin, to get better chain speed. The torque is otherwise wasted with those size bars. Oh, and the 361 prevents cancer. Since owning one I am cancer-free.

Other ones that I have had:

Stihl MS210: Too underpowered. Have to run 3/8 picco B&C on it. Same issues with the 1123 saws, but less power. Good for light stuff and trimming.

Stihl 020AV: Older design. My main issue against these are that Stihl shops no longer carry a lot of the parts for these saws. They are easy enough to work on if you know how to tear them apart. They are pretty much all metal and run good. But they are really really vibration prone and for me casued fast fatigue. They are heavy for their size too. They also have outboard clutches, which I do not like on any saws. And I no longer climb, so having a top handle saw is not needed or wanted.

Stihl 026: Good little firewood saw. As I said above, I plan on getting another one of these to replace the 1123 line of saws that I have. For the weight they are nimble and light, but they are still a tad buzzy. I was thinking of maybe getting a 270 instead of the 260 for the AV reason. I did not get that much time on this saw as I loaned it to my brother and he ran over it (or his GF did, I never got a straight story). I wish I could have lent him the 210, but my ex would not let me do it at the time. The 026 was a beater though, and had an 025 badge on it for some reason. I have the carcass in storage that I plan on using for spare parts for a better-newer one.

Stihl MS440 and MS460: These are the dogs ballacks of saws, if you need the power to motor through felling larger diameter trees and bucking up a lot of logs. I was grinning the whole time I used the MS460. It rips through the wood. However, it is a very thirsty saw, and sucks the gas pretty fast. It will drive a monster bar with the high output oiler option. The MS440 is the same saw with a smaller engine in it and slightly lighter than the MS460, but you would not really notice it. The MS440 is no longer made, but it has good saw for its size, and a favorite of many a pro logger in the PNW. The real issue with both of these saws was the vibration and fatigue factor for me. They are very tiring saws to run all day long. They are also heavier than what I am used to running (the 290 and 361). So from a control standpoint, I was leery of using either of them at the end of a long day of cutting, and my arms were sore (I have tendonitis in my left arm pretty bad). If you are bucking a lot, then the weight is not as much of an issue, and just let the saw weight be taken up by the bar in the cut. But for face and back cutting, they get to be too heavy for me to deal with. If I ever need this size saw again in future, I will look at an MS441, or a Husky 372.

Well, that's my Stihl story.

Last edited:
I currently have 026, T200, 044,and a Shinny 757, and an old homelite xl.
ran a husky for a few days with some guys I was working with. Seemed very heavy and bulky alot of operator fatigue, I think it was a 395 very big saw.
I used to have a 036 untill it fell of the truck and the guy behind me ran over it. That was most likely my favorite saw for power to weight and ease of using. 757 is a little dissapointing but for the cost a very good purchase for my use.

Bump......:popcorn:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I don't own any Stihls now, I did buy two back in the 70s. The first one was an 050, a good saw, nice to run, my Super 250 McCulloch could eat it for lunch though. I ran it for 3 months, it met with an accident that left it flattened. The second was an 075, an impulse buy, it was a very good deal, however it failed to meet the dealer's hype of being a direct replacement for a SP125. When I showed up at the job with the 075, the old guys called me a Democrat.

I have never run a Husky.

Last edited:
Wish they were my kids...... I went to a buddy of mine's mom's house in KC to cut up a huge fallen oak that had lain in her yard a few months. It was quite a project. The boys are my friend's nephews. But yeah, they are awesome kids.

The saws at least are mine....

Havent been around in a few months been really busy.... A Lot of spring work needing to be done when spring comes around. As well as rebuilding the boat for fishing season.

Anyone intrested in buying a 032? and does anyone have a good 039 carb?
Matt

192T
200T
260 (picking it up in the morning)

I plan to buy a new 460 this year before they are a thing of the past and I am looking for a used 064/066/660.

Back