Stihl dealer refutes extended warranty...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty dang sure that in the U.S. they are required to set them up and service them. I know they have different rules for different countries.

When I bought my FS-250R line trimmer from CAL-RANCH, I was told by the sales clerk to follow him to the back of the store, while they "serviced" my line trimmer. The CAL-RANCH store used to be a K-Mart.

Anyways, I followed the clerk to the back of the store, which was essentially, a stock room / receiving dock. There was a wood work bench with some supplies on it. Things such as canned fuel, a plug wrench or two, and some odd ball stuff. All the owner's manuals for all the Stihl equipment on display, were in one big cardboard box. Just dumped in there.

Anyways, there was no indication what-so-ever of any type, kind, or style of a service area. Just an area carved out of all the other stock being stored back there. At one time, another clerk showed up, to assist the one that couldn't get my F-250R started. Between the two, it was quite an act. I chuckled to myself more than once while watching them.

It was very obvious, those two clerks knew nothing about servicing any Stihl power equip. They were merely clerks who got collared into servicing the equipment, whether they knew what they were doing or not.

The problem with Stihl being in Deere stores is the fact that many of them will lowball Stihl products as incentive to do business with them and purhcase their 6 figure Deere products, or simply just throw a Stihl product in as a discount. This seriously hurts the dealers that depend on Stihl as their primary line.

I'm pretty dang sure that in the U.S. they are required to set them up and service them. I know they have different rules for different countries.
may of just been the store I contacted ,either way I have no need to buy from them,i take any opertunity to visit dealerships when travelling ,just something I do,never know what can be found

may of just been the store I contacted ,either way I have no need to buy from them,i take any opertunity to visit dealerships when travelling ,just something I do,never know what can be found
I didn't realize it was during one of your visits stateside. I apologize for making an assumption.

When I bought my FS-250R line trimmer from CAL-RANCH, I was told by the sales clerk to follow him to the back of the store, while they "serviced" my line trimmer. The CAL-RANCH store used to be a K-Mart.

Anyways, I followed the clerk to the back of the store, which was essentially, a stock room / receiving dock. There was a wood work bench with some supplies on it. Things such as canned fuel, a plug wrench or two, and some odd ball stuff. All the owner's manuals for all the Stihl equipment on display, were in one big cardboard box. Just dumped in there.

Anyways, there was no indication what-so-ever of any type, kind, or style of a service area. Just an area carved out of all the other stock being stored back there. At one time, another clerk showed up, to assist the one that couldn't get my F-250R started. Between the two, it was quite an act. I chuckled to myself more than once while watching them.

It was very obvious, those two clerks knew nothing about servicing any Stihl power equip. They were merely clerks who got collared into servicing the equipment, whether they knew what they were doing or not.
My shop is carved out of my stock room. It's a bit more extensive than the one you described, though. It's unfortunate that Stihl doesn't enforce their policies equally. I take my agreement with them seriously and strive to provide the service and requirements layed out by it.

That is pure bunk. They will warranty almost ANYTHING if a reasonable dealer calls and asks. They have warrantied a few saws with burnt up chain brakes for me that were 100% customer abuse. If the customer comes in and is a loud-mouth jerk, I won't ask for anything other than what is required to be covered (which is almost nothing if I think the customer has abused the unit). If a guy comes in and says "I messed up, can you help me?" I'll probably go to bat even if it is out of warranty. You guys need to find better dealers. Stihl Gold DOES mean something. The owner of our store is likely to do "store warranty" on many things (including chains(!!!) & older equipment) to keep customer goodwill. I guess that explains how we are top 10% sales in our distributor in just 2yrs & 3mos from opening. FWIW, most dealers dismiss a scored piston as straight gas straight away. If you would like me to re-visit your warranty claims, start up a conversation with me. You'll have to ship the saws to me, but I'll be glad to try and make it right.

Yes sir, I'm in the same business but with different product. You get much much further being courteous and nice! If you want to be a D bag I'll shut you down and then some.

You are 100% correct, it is required that we set them up and service every piece of Stihl equipment we sell. We take every piece to the back with the customer in tow and go over every key component of the equipment they purchased, we also go over the basic maintence of the product, show them how to service the air filter, proper chain tension, how to grease the sprocket bearing, how to add line to trimmer head/grease gear heads, etc. Then we fill it with the gas/bar oil if it is a saw and start it and allow it to warm up than check the tune with a tach and check the oiler output. One thing we've done for awhile is give a certificate for a two gallon check up free of charge, it gets the equipment back in where we can check it's tune again after a minimum of two gallons being run through it. It lets us check it and go over any shortfalls we see in maint. customer's really seem to appreciate the service. The only exception is to the repeat commercial customers, we don't go as in depth unless they are buying an unfamiliar product and we'll bend the rules to selling a power head only to a known repeat commercial logging operation were they own a bunch of bars and chain anyway. We take the customer's expierence very seriously as it is the only way we can seperate ourselves from any other dealer. It may cost a little more in time and payroll but it pays off in spades, same reason we bag up defective/broken parts for customers to view. We go as far as if a customer wants to drag up a stool and see their equipment repaired, be my guest, if they have the time, no reason not to let them watch, usually can educate them while you do the repair. We taught countless folks how to sharpen their chain/how to dress their bar etc. Customer education is a good thing, keeps their product out of the shop and keeps them happy.

One omission, every piece of Stihl equipment is started up and run at the factory. After seeing hundreds and hundreds of units sold I have only seen one unit be off factory specs out of the box and that was a MS391 with a defective carb, it wouldn't start at all. I take all the tuning screwdrivers out of every owners packet and tell them if they feel the need for a carb tune bring it in and we'll do it for nothing during the warranty/reasonable length of time. I've see more units roasted due to home tuning than any other reason, then they lie about touching the screws until you point out the damage/marks on the limiters.lol Just like Saw Dr, we'll bend over for any reasonable customer, come in cussing,raising hell acting like a douchebag you might as well head out the door or you'll be ask to leave.

You are 100% correct, it is required that we set them up and service every piece of Stihl equipment we sell. We take every piece to the back with the customer in tow and go over every key component of the equipment they purchased, we also go over the basic maintence of the product, show them how to service the air filter, proper chain tension, how to grease the sprocket bearing, how to add line to trimmer head/grease gear heads, etc. Then we fill it with the gas/bar oil if it is a saw and start it and allow it to warm up than check the tune with a tach and check the oiler output. One thing we've done for awhile is give a certificate for a two gallon check up free of charge, it gets the equipment back in where we can check it's tune again after a minimum of two gallons being run through it. It lets us check it and go over any shortfalls we see in maint. customer's really seem to appreciate the service. The only exception is to the repeat commercial customers, we don't go as in depth unless they are buying an unfamiliar product and we'll bend the rules to selling a power head only to a known repeat commercial logging operation were they own a bunch of bars and chain anyway. We take the customer's expierence very seriously as it is the only way we can seperate ourselves from any other dealer. It may cost a little more in time and payroll but it pays off in spades, same reason we bag up defective/broken parts for customers to view. We go as far as if a customer wants to drag up a stool and see their equipment repaired, be my guest, if they have the time, no reason not to let them watch, usually can educate them while you do the repair. We taught countless folks how to sharpen their chain/how to dress their bar etc. Customer education is a good thing, keeps their product out of the shop and keeps them happy.
That cerificate idea is good. I'm going to steal it if you don't mind. Primarily, though, we run our operation pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Use it, sharing ideas of how to better serve folks, biggest issue we see with the check ups is that folks forget the air filter on the little 170/80's is a down draft unit and they don't clean the bottom side of the air filter and loose chain tension.

I didn't realize it was during one of your visits stateside. I apologize for making an assumption.
One day i will get over to your country for a holiday and i may even get to catch up with some of you guys but no ,at this point in time i have never been overseas,i was refering to an australian business selling stihl products and not being a dealer as such.no apoligy needed

I spoke with the owner today who stated the warranty incentive still applies to the pro saws. Got some oil from him and he said he get it registered properly. Nice guy.

Back