Stihl Dealers Getting Dropped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few dealers around here that carry a full line up including the 880. Most have a 660 on the shelf also.

The closest Stihl dealer sells at MSRP + dealer fee. I don' know if it is common or not. They have not dropped Husqvarna either. So it seems to me that Stihl needs to loosen up a little to keep their dealers from doing this.

Selling at MSRP is actually very common and I don't necessarily disagree with it although it's nice to be appreciated and get a discount providing you are a loyal customer. My day job is as a Senior Horticultural Agronomist and those that come to me expecting a good deal certainly don't get it. Guys that are loyal and spend a lot of money with me certainly get looked after. Those that shop around don't. Being a Stihl dealer isn't always roses and I've heard good things from Stihl dealers and also bad things - such as not being able to sell any non Stihl items in store if Stihl have an equivalent product. Stihl dealers can sell their gear at any price they want to anybody they want. Under Australian consumer law this is their legal right. I assume the US would be the same?
Unfortunately with the internet nowadays people assume that every business is making a fortune. The business that I work at has an operating cost of $78,000 a month. That means that if we all sit on our arse doing nothing we will lose $78,000 a month or $936,000 a year. The costs of running a business nowadays are huge (especially in Australia) so cutting the guts out of saw pricing and expecting to keep your doors open simply doesn't cut the mustard.
There are no 100% Stihl dealers around me - they are all tacked onto car mechanic workshops and also sell motorbikes, generators, boats, outboard motors etc. A 100% Stihl dealer in our area would go broke overnight.

I've picked up the phone many of times and stihl has went out of there way to take care of the customer above and beyond the warranty.

I agree. I made the mistake of listening to my local Stihl dealer and everything is simply "too hard". I was under the impression that it was the fault of Stihl Australia.
Then you talk to somebody like Bennn*e on here and nothing is too hard and parts are ordered overnight and there the next day. Here I was thinking that for years Stihl was the problem...

My only disappointment with Stihl is that Stihl Australia and Stihl Inc (USA) are two seperate businesses and Stihl pricing in the US is basically half what it is in Australia. Stihl Australia (I believe) are charging their dealers way too much for products. I can import and land saws from the US via a 3rd party far cheaper than Australian Stihl dealers can buy their saws for from Stihl.

Your statements are completely false and slander my friend. I have not once been pressured to order nor carry one single piece of equiptment that I didnt want to. I've never carried a 660 nor an 880 in stock. And for anoth thing, every meeting and update I've been to they do nothing but preach about taking care of the customer and how service after the sale is the most important part!! I hear too much bull #### about dealers wont do this and wont do that, well its your dealer not stihl . I've picked up the phone many of times and stihl has went out of there way to take care of the customer above and beyond the warranty. So if your looking for someone to bash its your dealer not stihl. They dont just drop dealers for no reason.

Spring booking? hehe.

... There are 9 distributors for Stihl in the U.S., and they all do their own thing. They're not all created equal, unfortunately.

I'm done with Stihl dealers. I went to 3 dealers today looking for 33RMC72 and NONE of them had it so they pretend i'm the dumb one and ask "what saw is it for" like i'm giving them wrong info,so i tell him its for a 562xp and he tells me if its not a Stihl then the chain won't work. Its no wonder they're closing the doors.

I'm done with Stihl dealers. I went to 3 dealers today looking for 33RMC72 and NONE of them had it so they pretend i'm the dumb one and ask "what saw is it for" like i'm giving them wrong info,so i tell him its for a 562xp and he tells me if its not a Stihl then the chain won't work. Its no wonder they're closing the doors.
HAHA I don't carry it either.... I only have semi chisel in safety chain or RSC

HAHA I don't carry it either.... I only have semi chisel in safety chain or RSC

Its not so much not stocking it its the lack of knowledge an "ELITE" dealer has that irritates me and i get looks like i just asked for a kidney or something. I know you know what you're talking about.

The best part is is he tossed an RS3 on the counter.....um not even close.

Last edited:
We have one shop that is exclusively Stihl. They are great and understand where our community is--an hour away. They'll help us over the phone and will fit in our saws so we can pick them up the same day. The do not fit the stereotype on this forum. I will buy from them because of their service. They already seem to have lower prices than mentioned and that is probably because they sell a lot of saws. They are in the middle of a hard core logging area. I'll sometimes run into a timber faller I know or there'll be a crummy parked outside with the crew dropping off or picking up a saw. Or a logger will be inside shooting the breeze while waiting to have a piece of equipment repaired elsewhere in town.

Then, just north about a mile is a non-exclusive shop, and they too are excellent. They also sell Husky saws. They actually have benches placed by a pot bellied stove for "information exchange" amongst their customers while waiting. They are a very large business.

Both stores have good displays and you can walk in and fondle the saws if you want.

If you want to have a good dealer, you need to give them your business. They need to make a profit.

We have one shop that is exclusively Stihl. They are great and understand where our community is--an hour away. They'll help us over the phone and will fit in our saws so we can pick them up the same day. The do not fit the stereotype on this forum. I will buy from them because of their service. They already seem to have lower prices than mentioned and that is probably because they sell a lot of saws. They are in the middle of a hard core logging area. I'll sometimes run into a timber faller I know or there'll be a crummy parked outside with the crew dropping off or picking up a saw. Or a logger will be inside shooting the breeze while waiting to have a piece of equipment repaired elsewhere in town.

Then, just north about a mile is a non-exclusive shop, and they too are excellent. They also sell Husky saws. They actually have benches placed by a pot bellied stove for "information exchange" amongst their customers while waiting. They are a very large business.

Both stores have good displays and you can walk in and fondle the saws if you want.

If you want to have a good dealer, you need to give them your business. They need to make a profit.

I agree Slowp there are even some good dealers here but i wasn't near any of them. But i don't see how some dealers are ELITE when they truly are mediocure at best.

I think there is a considerable difference between PNW heavy logging area dealers and...most anyplace else. I know I am at I think a month now waiting for a couple of wristpin circlips for a 290/390 to come in from ordering them, because they don't stock such unusual exotic and esoteric parts at the local Stihl dealership here.....

Local Husky dealer is the opposite, either in stock, or you will get it within a week. Plus will sell me good used at 1/2 OEM new. Guess where I shop the most....

Its not so much not stocking it its the lack of knowledge an "ELITE" dealer has that irritates me and i get looks like i just asked for a kidney or something. I know you know what you're talking about.

The best part is is he tossed an RS3 on the counter.....um not even close.
Yea its funny the other techs in this area know there repair stuff but I start talking about chains, and ported saws and they are lost.

Back