Stihl Elastostart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good Guys:clap: I want to try and put one on my Dolmar 120si :) That saw on occasion will rip the handle out of my hand :mad: Imagine the 044/440 size would be the proper size. :cheers:

My pre-comp 066 would snap back every now and then. It stung. Best $20 I spent on that saw.

mark

Sounds like fun! A GTG in Scotland:clap: I actually love the 7900. It's the smoothest saw i've ever ran to date. And considerable more power than a stock 460.

Heck, I'd go but then again I'm a Mac.

What kind of starter system is on the MS250C? I pulled on the rope several times and nothing happened, then all of a sudden the engine turns over. If that's the elasto start, I'm afraid I don't like it. I went out to try it again, pulled it 5 or 6 times and nothing happened! Did I break it? I'm an older guy and not particularly muscular and if I broke it then they didn't make it very good.

What kind of starter system is on the MS250C? I pulled on the rope several times and nothing happened, then all of a sudden the engine turns over. If that's the elasto start, I'm afraid I don't like it. I went out to try it again, pulled it 5 or 6 times and nothing happened! Did I break it? I'm an older guy and not particularly muscular and if I broke it then they didn't make it very good.

That's a different animal. It sort of loads up a "spring" and then turns the engine over. I tried it and didn't like it. I may go to it when I get older though, I'm only 64 now. I do like the elasto-starts on my saws 026 and up. Don't really understand why Stihl put it on the MS200 from the factory.

That's a different animal. It sort of loads up a "spring" and then turns the engine over. I tried it and didn't like it. I may go to it when I get older though, I'm only 64 now. I do like the elasto-starts on my saws 026 and up. Don't really understand why Stihl put it on the MS200 from the factory.

Well, it did that for awhile, now you can pull the rope fifteen times and it does nothing. You reckon I broke the spring? Uh..it was more than dislike to me, I hated it! I'm 67 and I sure don't need anything like that..Everybody's entitled to an opinion I hope, and mine is that if you're so weak you need assistance starting a chainsaw you shouldn't be using one.

Last edited:
Sounds like your spring has broken or came unwound. They're a PITA but you can fix it pretty easy. Just take the cover off and see what it looks like.

Elastostart is genious IMO. Takes alot of the snap out of a higher comp saw. And still delivers the same force to the starter as a regular cord.

Elastostart is just in the cord and handle. Has nothing to do with your problem in the ms250.

Sounds like your spring has broken or came unwound. They're a PITA but you can fix it pretty easy. Just take the cover off and see what it looks like.

Elastostart is genious IMO. Takes alot of the snap out of a higher comp saw. And still delivers the same force to the starter as a regular cord.

Elastostart is just in the cord and handle. Has nothing to do with your problem in the ms250.

I'm kinda wondering if this saw can be converted over to the conventional starter system. I suppose some of the MS250 saws came out without this.

I'm kinda wondering if this saw can be converted over to the conventional starter system. I suppose some of the MS250 saws came out without this.

I don't know alot about the Easy2start system. I don't think you have the Elastostart do you? If it says Elastostart on the pull handle then you do.

Maybe someone else can help you on the Easy2start thing. I have never had a saw with that and have no clue about what it consist of.

I don't know alot about the Easy2start system. I don't think you have the Elastostart do you? If it says Elastostart on the pull handle then you do.

Maybe someone else can help you on the Easy2start thing. I have never had a saw with that and have no clue about what it consist of.

No, it's not the elastostart..I don't have much of a clue either but I'm gonna tear into it next Monday and see what it's made out of. Since it doesn't work right anyway I probably can't hurt it any more.

Latest posts

Back