Stihl guys, I need your opinions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zh farms

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, so I have spent the last 2 evening searching the archives for my answer and still don't have a good one, so I am asking what is probably a repeat question.

I have a Stihl 025 that I have had for about 4 years. Works great and never really had a problem with it other than needing tune-ups and using it to cut bigger than it was designed for. It has a 18" bar on it.

I am looking to get a bigger saw now that I am cutting for my wood burner, and ideally, would like to get one that can run at least a 20", if not 24" bar. I do not want to be lugging around some huge saw as far as weight is concerned, as I will be doing this part time and am not a full time cutter. Not sure if I will trade the 025 in, or just keep it for an extra (more likely to keep it). I cannot spend a ton of money (about $600 max), and am just looking for the best power to weight ratio saw that has the cutting capacity (24" +/) I am looking for.

I was looking at a 031, and may stay there, but wanted more options. All I know is it will be a Stihl, and probably brand new. Thoughts?

zh

A sale price on the MS 361 might be right on $600. The 361 will pull a 20" and will also pull a 25" to 28" occasionally for felling whoppers. Personally, I would save up and get that one over any saw being sold today. I think the HP-to-weight ratio and versatility of the 361 beats about any chainsaw that exists.

Stihl MS 361 Rocks!

A sale price on the MS 361 might be right on $600. The 361 will pull a 20" and will also pull a 25" to 28" occasionally for felling whoppers. Personally, I would save up and get that one over any saw being sold today. I think the HP-to-weight ratio and versatility of the 361 beats about any chainsaw that exists.

Stihl MS 361 Rocks!

:agree2: That's what I'd get.

Its a fact, the MS361 fits the description of your desires. Go to a Stihl dealer and try the saw, then take it home and try it some more, then go back to the dealer and get more oil, because you will be :D too much to think about returning the saw.

Another kudo, the antivibration is very easy on the joints.

I wood say something but I'am not Stihl guy!But keep you 250 and get a 441 if you have a need for a 24'' bar It's the only stihl made that runs and feels like a Husky/Jred. If you have a need for a 24'' bar forget the 361 or any other 60cc saw, it will cut it but you wont be happy get the 441 especially if you like fat bottomed girls.Okay pleasantly plump:laugh:

441 is an awesome saw but its a bit more then $600. 361 is just what your looking for will run a 20" great and you can run a 24" on it when needed. If you were looking to run a 24" all the time I would say get a bigger saw. But if you only need the bigger bar now and then the 361 will do fine. If I get a chance one of these days I am going to put my 25" on my 361 and video it cutting some big hardwood. Again I wouldnt depend on it all the time for this, but it will do it okay.

here I found some videos (none of them are me)

1st is a 361 with 25" bar small wood

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZEWcfkYiLo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZEWcfkYiLo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

second 361 28" bar bigger wood (chain looks a little dull)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoc3EXmbil8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoc3EXmbil8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Save your money and look into a used 044,440,or a441. They will handle a bigger bar without a problem. Heck even might think about a used 046,460. Keep your old saw for liming and the little trees. Watch out for C.A.D. It might bite and bite hard.:chainsawguy:

Beefie

For a $600 max Stihl, if you are considering a 310/390 vs. a 361 because the specs appear similar, go with the 361. My experience is that the better antivibe system and lighter weight of the 361 makes firewood cutting (and especially cutting treetops) much much more pleasant.

Hi
I have a good number of big Stihls, +1 on keeping the 025
I would be patient and look for a saw in the 70cc+ range.
With money tight for a lot of people right now there are some good deals to be found on CL and pawn shops, but they come and go fast!
I would look at some of the other brands also. Husky, Jred, Oly
I passed on a clean 271 Olympik in a pawn shop for $140, I've seen some other big saws go reasonable, 064 & 044 $725 cash as a pair. Husky 575 looked like new $550 in pawn shop. Husky 3120xp $700.
If it's gonna be a second saw just for the big wood "no replacement for displacement" they might be a little heavier, but ya finish up and set it down sooner too.
361 is smooth, I miss mine that was stolen.

here I found some videos (none of them are me)

(chain looks a little dull)

Understatement of the year. That chain on the second video is dull as a butter knife. Anyone who runs a chain saw could tell you that. The chain is throwing powder. Put that chain on any saw and I would shake my head also, the same as this operator. He knew d___n well the chain was dull. :angry:

Stihls are good saws, look to buy used.

I bought a new ms 310 a few years ago and never had a problem (20-30 cord per year), it has a 24 inch bar on it. Although many guys on this site would say that is unacceptable, i went with the max bar the stihl dealer told me it could have. Compared to the 361 your saving $200 bucks, a lot to some of us.

A two saw system is a what I do and I reccomend it. I got a used 046 at a pawn shop, had it tuned up for 30 bucks and never had problem with it.

he'll prbe along shortly to tell us how sharp or not it was. And it was ported, so it shouldn't mean nothin to the op.

Last edited:
A friend has a 390,and it will do what you want,and within your budget.I havent heard anyone suggest it yet,and was wondering if its a weight issue or somethign else. For a person just cutting for his own firewood,I cant see you needing any more saw than that.

Back