STIHL Memorabilia & Tool Haul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flaring tool circled in light blue was used on the steel sheet metal bushing where the starter rope exited the starter housing. The bushing prevented the rope from wearing away the magnesium housing of the starter. Guys who couldn't pull the starter rope straight up would wear this bushing away, and then the starter rope would fray and eventually break. You just had to remove the old bushing by using a chisel to collapse the flare on the old one that was worn out, remove it, drop in a new one, use the flaring tool to expand the hole on the new one, reinstall the starter rope, and that was it.

It was used on 041, 031, 050, 08 saws, and maybe others. I see these bushings for sale on EPay quite often.
I replaced quite a few when I worked in the Stihl shop in the 1970's.

Hope this helps.

Bob

The flaring tool circled in light blue was used on the steel sheet metal bushing where the starter rope exited the starter housing. The bushing prevented the rope from wearing away the magnesium housing of the starter. Guys who couldn't pull the starter rope straight up would wear this bushing away, and then the starter rope would fray and eventually break. You just had to remove the old bushing by using a chisel to collapse the flare on the old one that was worn out, remove it, drop in a new one, use the flaring tool to expand the hole on the new one, reinstall the starter rope, and that was it.

It was used on 041, 031, 050, 08 saws, and maybe others. I see these bushings for sale on EPay quite often.
I replaced quite a few when I worked in the Stihl shop in the 1970's.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back