Stihl MS 170 / 180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTermite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a 55cc Craftsman w/18" bar which is serving me well, but much of my cutting (on a 1+ acre lot) could be done with a lighter saw with a shorter bar. Local hardware store has the Stilhl MS 170 w/14" bar for sale at $169, plus I have a $20 off coupon. Is this saw (or the 180) suitable for weekend lot clearing and storm cleanup work, or can you recommend something that is? Does the price (about $174 including tax) sound about right?

Thanks

:greenchainsaw:

That is dead on retail price for the 170. I think the MS 250 would better suit you. little more beef to it.

Don't get the 170 unless you're just going to be cutting small stuff. I've heard its a good little saw, but 14" bar with the PMN chain won't get you the performance you're used to from the 55cc saw even if its a better saw. I say buy a 250 or even step up to the 290 or 310 for the kind of work you're doing. My 025(same saw) carries an 18 bar and it always did everything I asked of it. Only problem was when I got into a stump thicker than I could plunge cut with all the tricks in the book, about a 45-50" one...had to leave it but everything up to 35-40" dia. was easy with it. Set it up with the 18" Stihl bar and 26RS or Oregon 22LP chain and you will love it. Have fun and be careful.

Why a 250? he already has a (same as) 290/310.
OT, for stuff smaller than what you want to use a 55cc saw on, the 170 is just fine. It's actually a lot more saw than you are paying for. The 180 is a decent saw as well, but you don't (imo) get enough more saw to justify the price difference.
it's(ms 170) no 'Pro' saw and not the best and biggest made, but when used for what is was designed for (light saw for smaller wood) it works just fine.
-Ralph

Had an017 in Tucson,Az.Trimmed mesquite,and palo Verde just fine.Came to PA and cut small 8" to 12' firewood,(oak)no problem.Not the fastest thing in the world,but for general clean up it's fine.Had it 10 years?No problem.
Ed

I use my 017 almost every day. I have two guys working for me and out of all my saws they always go for the 017. Very light, pretty fast cutter, and easy to start. I have had mine for about 7 years with no major repairs.
Mark

Ms 170

Just to chime in on this, I had the opportunity to run a 170. This is a gutsy little saw.It was well balanced with a 14 bc. Relativly quiet and an excellant vibration system. For the price, you cannot go rong, Ken

I didn't mean to say it was not a good saw, I have considered it myself for trimming and teh little bit of climbing I do, but I was thinking he meant as a replacement for the 55cc saw. He'll like it, but you can't cut real big wood with it. When used as intended and even much harder, it is a good saw, but I wouldn't want to depend on it for much more than 14" wood.

I used to have an 017 about 10 years ago. I was moonlighting at Ace Hardware and bought it from the manager who said he had only used it one season for some yard cleanup. It would start on the third pull every time if cold, but once you warmed it up, you'd better not shut it off till you were done cause you'd be yanking on the cord for 10-15 minutes before it would fire up again. I took it to one of the local Stihl dealers and he told me that he wished Stihl had never put their name on it. He apparently had a lot of problems with them. Mine had only had one carb adjustment whereas every other saw I've had since sported the usual 3. That was my first saw purchase as an adult (late bloomer) and it turned me off Stihl for a long time. I got over it tho.. hence the 361 I bought earlier this month.
A buddy of mine bought an MS170 a couple of weeks ago for a light weight trimming/limbing saw. It still doesn't have a full set of carb adjustment screws that I could find. I hope he has better luck with it than I did with the old 017.

Ian

Last edited:
OldTermite said:
Have a 55cc Craftsman w/18" bar which is serving me well, but much of my cutting (on a 1+ acre lot) could be done with a lighter saw with a shorter bar. Local hardware store has the Stilhl MS 170 w/14" bar for sale at $169, plus I have a $20 off coupon. Is this saw (or the 180) suitable for weekend lot clearing and storm cleanup work, or can you recommend something that is? Does the price (about $174 including tax) sound about right?

Thanks

:greenchainsaw:
Get the 180. I bought one for the missus but it is the saw of preference I pick up when I want to cut just about anything less than 24" thick as it is so light (important when you are carrying it any distance up or sideways). The std pico chain is perfectly matched to its power and cuts just about as well as a bigger saw with a bigger chain. Possibly the only weakness is that when the cutters get too filed they tend to break off in the big hardwood.

If you are determined to get either a 170 or 180, go with the 180. I had one and I loved it. It is one brute lil' saw for it's size. In fact, I still love that saw. I only sold it because I couldn't afford to keep it and another larger saw - so I sold it to me Pa so I can still use it! :rock:

Don't let the size of the saw fool you. It is a real workhorse with a great reputation with some tree service companys using it to do groundwork.

What are the differences between the 170 & 180? I read that the 180 has quad port transfers, are the like the ones on a 200? do they have solid or skirted pistons?

buck futter said:
What are the differences between the 170 & 180? I read that the 180 has quad port transfers, are the like the ones on a 200? do they have solid or skirted pistons?

No Idea

I do know the 180 has the new ergo start (excellent idea,works like a rubber band, great for women and older people, ) and a better power to weight ratio than the 170.

170, 30.1cc,1.3kW,3.9kg
180, 31.8cc.1.5kW,4.2kg for the ergo start model,4.0kg without.

The MS 180 is a fun little saw.........it has more power than you would expect for it's size:chainsaw: The 180 also comes with the easy adjust chain option that is real cool, and makes chain adjustments easy and quick with no tools :clap: I recently bought a MS 361 for heavier wood cutting and will keep my MS 180 for limbing and smaller jobs that require a lighter weight saw :cheers: For only $200.00 new......it is hard to beat an MS 180 for bang for the buck :cheers: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Given that we are discussing a bottom barrel saw in terms of price, why not look at Husky from a dealer, with a 2 year warranty. At least if something breaks, you wont be pitching the saw for 2 years.

Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back