Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used MS261 and 5105 but I'm happy owner of the HSQ 346xp NE. It's great saw with good filtering, low vibration nad weight. In my modest opinion 346XP NE is the best saw in 50cc class, not including MS261.

Szczek kolego, its because you've never used the Dolmar! :msp_biggrin:

I use chainsaw not very often but when I do, it's all day long. I have a small Mc Culloch which is too weak and runs out of gas too quick. Ready for some serious equipment but weight is major isssue because my back is messed up.
I have been looking at buying either of those 3 saws. Went to see the Stihl dealer..said the model did not exist until he checked it on line. Said the 260 is available, 261 is too new. However...Ms 260 does not incorporate the X torq and air injection pre filtering equivalent of Husqvarna and price is too high so it's out.

Went to A1-repair in Elgin IL. Salesguy spend 1.5 hours showing me the Dolmar and Husqvarna in detail. We took the chain bars out,showed me both filtering systems, weighetd the units etc..Most patient and dedicated salesguy I ever met. The Husky with a 20" bar was lighter than the Dolmar with the 18" bar. I am about to buy the 346Xp over the PS 5105 because of engineering look of the innards which seems more thought out, more refined than the Dolmar but I like the starter feature of the dolmar better and it looks prettier overall with the black cover. I know...who cares? Well, before I buy the 346, I'd like to have more opinions on the actual feel of them in action. Has anybody run both of them, what's the actual field experience of the 346 XP versus the 5105?
Thanks for any feedback
Pascal
ps Prices ;10$ difference so not an isssue
:thinking::msp_unsure:
ive been running a dolmar 5105 [now Makita ea5000 [I think exact same saw just different color] the dolmar is a very tuff saw, the exta weight over the husky is not much, I ran the 346 for about a month personally I found the dolmar to have more jam, [I did change the muffler] easy and cheap, here in Canada the stihl 260 isn't that much more$, I ran the stihl and loved it the lightest feel of them all IMO, great firewood saw, ive been in the firewood business in bc Canada for 11 years or so and I found DOLMAR to be the most durable of them, huskys seem finicky to me and my partner feels the same he runs the 260, my 5105 has cut 100s of cords of firewood, I use synthetic oil only, the 5105 is a very powerful 51 cc saw, GOOD LUCK

ive been running a dolmar 5105 [now Makita ea5000 [I think exact same saw just different color] the dolmar is a very tuff saw, the exta weight over the husky is not much, I ran the 346 for about a month personally I found the dolmar to have more jam, [I did change the muffler] easy and cheap, here in Canada the stihl 260 isn't that much more$, I ran the stihl and loved it the lightest feel of them all IMO, great firewood saw, ive been in the firewood business in bc Canada for 11 years or so and I found DOLMAR to be the most durable of them, huskys seem finicky to me and my partner feels the same he runs the 260, my 5105 has cut 100s of cords of firewood, I use synthetic oil only, the 5105 is a very powerful 51 cc saw, GOOD LUCK
When you're willing to dig up an eight year old thread JUST to talk up a Dolmar, you are my kind of guy...

For the posters who want some else to pick their saw for them.Only you can make the final decsion.
two couples going to a funeral.
Chain saw guy NO BALLS. Honey which suit should I wear ? She says the brown one with the yellow shirt you like.He hates it. Her oh not those shoes wear the suede ones.He timidly asks can we stop by Lowes so I can look at the 3 saws again you know I have to cut down that 36 inch oak thats shading your flowers.She says. I have thought about it and you should buy the cute little orange one its 20 dollars cheaper plus we dont have time.Go after work on Mon. Him.Yes dear that sounds good
Her. Which dress do you like better the black or the red? Him.They both look good. Her Oh you cant make a descion on anything.Him wear the black one I kinda like it. Her I knew you always hated the red one.
Chain saw guy with balls going to funeral puts on black suit white shirt red tie black shoes.Checks on wife she says Honey do these slacks make my butt look big?
He says the slacks are fine But your butt really is big.Lets get going I dont want to be late for the funeral I have to stop on the way and buy that new 90 cc power saw so I can test it out on that 50 inch oak you have been ******** about for the last 10 years.
Kash

Back