Stihl ms 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ace HW in Missoula sends the saws out to a small engine repair shop. Years ago I'm pretty sure one of the two Ace HW did in store repairs. They sell a !it of Stihls.
Rural King in Indiana sells and I believe services new Stihl saws. They have mostly homeowner saws but a few pro saws can be had there...I visit the Rural King in Vincennes, Indiana, they have about everything in the Stihl line that I'd need...

That all sounds good, however Ace Hardware stores sells new Stihl saws. I don't know that all of the Ace Hardware stores selling these saws have a proper service dept. though

As soon they opened the flood gates from a true saw/rigging shop to the department stores like Ace, J Deere dealers, most of the fleet farm stores it’s really no different then working with Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they hadn't put all the computer stuff on the newer saws I'd probably not take it to Stihl even for warranty work unless it blew up the first time I used it. Around where I live it's easier to do it yourself than to try to find someone to do it for you. I guess that's why I haven't bought a new saw since the early nineteen seventies...

That all sounds good, however Ace Hardware stores sells new Stihl saws. I don't know that all of the Ace Hardware stores selling these saws have a proper service dept. though
Local Ace has no Stihl. Family center does with ¿mechanic? for both Stihl and husky which are also sold there. Rural king sells Stihl but may have another service department off site somewhere. JD dealer orders chain & stuff, didn't have much inventory as far as saws as I recall. With tractors being primo on profits not much attention to cs. They did order the right reel of square chisel chain for me when I didn't trust the other 2

Stihls' prices in Europe are higher than in the US. $1800 would be too much here. It can't be more than a few $hundred over equivalent current models.

When batteries get a little lighter they'll be practical for saws. Even for people who cut all day. You'll carry some extra charged batteries in the truck like you carry extra gas now. Charge them up at night for the next day's work. I love two strokes but I would not mind using a quiet saw.

I read somewhere that the ms500 needs to have it's primer bulb pumped a bunch of times for each start. Or maybe it was that the operator needs to pull start it a bunch of times to prime the system each time it's started. If one of those is true it makes it a lot less appealing.
It starts warm on one pull. Cold, it takes 8-12 shots to the primer bulb.

To the reply on battery powered saws, I have to agree. Brushless motors are an overmatch for even the post powerful modded chainsaw. It all comes down to when the batteries will be ready.

As to the 500, I have to admit my interest has been peaked. Weight of a 60cc saw with the power of a 90cc saw. Additional complication worries me a bit though, and I don't know if I'm all in at 1800. 1500 and I'll buy one, that's kind of where I'm at.
I paid $1180 for mine.

They are too thirsty so probably not selling like they hoped, or they would put the price up.
Not very thirsty. They have a small fuel tank so they need refueling more frequently. But I can cut as much wood in 35 minutes as I did before in 45 minutes with my MS441C, which had a larger tank. Ergo, less fuel used per amount cut.

Back