Stihl ms250c vs. Echo CS-510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biscuit141

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
both are for sale near me. Stihl they are asking $175, supposedly brand new, needs chain, 16" bar. Echo is like new (I've seen the pics) 20" bar, good chain, asking $200.

I have been waiting for a while for a good deal on a good saw. Only overpriced MS290's or really old saws keep popping up on craigslist. Some guy is selling a 2 year old 290 for $350, what a deal! I can buy one brand new for $380!!!

both are for sale near me. Stihl they are asking $175, supposedly brand new, needs chain, 16" bar. Echo is like new (I've seen the pics) 20" bar, good chain, asking $200.

I have been waiting for a while for a good deal on a good saw. Only overpriced MS290's or really old saws keep popping up on craigslist. Some guy is selling a 2 year old 290 for $350, what a deal! I can buy one brand new for $380!!!
Those things gotta be hot. 175 dollars for a brand new 250 is a good price. Don't know about the echo. Just know what i paid for my 250

250 is a real nice lite saw don't have one but I've used a friends and I tried to trade for a ms 200. But wouldn't cause it's a top handle

The CS-510 is a real "sleeper" in the Echo line-up. They only need the limiter caps removed to add some fuel, and respond very well to a minor muffler mod. I've tested ours on several occassions, it is a very fast cutting saw, and easily outran the Shindaiwa 488 and Poulan 330 we used to own. It's also faster than two of our Husqvarna 55's, and runs equally as fast as my Husqvarna 55 closed port model.

My neighbor bought a new MS250 couple of years ago. I've serviced it for him a few times, and did some cutting with it, it's OK, but not on par with the CS-510 anyplace.....Cliff

I've never ran a 510 but have a few 250s. $175 for a like new 250 is hard to beat. Do a muff mod to the 250 and it will be another saw. Don't worry about the homeowner style, they are tough!

Doesn't it strike you as a bit odd that someone would have a new Stihl saw with a bar and no chain? An MS250 isn't the type of saw you would buy the powerhead and bar separately.

250 Stihl does not impress me much, better saws out there for the money. I think I would end up giving the Echo a try.

:cheers:
Mike

i have many hours on the trigger end of an 025, and while its no 7900, its not a slouch. it is light, and powerful enough to handle a 16'' .325 reasonably well. the one i have run was totally reliable. it probably has 1000hrs and has only needed a carb kit. it needs a muffler mod to make it runs its best though.

Stock, my Echo 370 at 36cc cuts much better than a MS250. I can't imagine how much better the 510 would be. I'd go with the Echo in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Doesn't it strike you as a bit odd that someone would have a new Stihl saw with a bar and no chain? An MS250 isn't the type of saw you would buy the powerhead and bar separately.

I emailed the seller and he told me he is keeping the chain because it fits another one of his saws. He couldn't remember if it was a 16" or 18" bar. Is an 18" too much for the 250?

I've owned and run both, the Echo will outlast and outcut the 250. There is really no comparison, the Echo is a lot more saw for the money.

Mr. HE:cool:

I've owned and run both, the Echo will outlast and outcut the 250. There is really no comparison, the Echo is a lot more saw for the money.

What do Echo saws get such a bad rap on this forum? That is the reason I am almost afraid of them, not from experience. Its almost too bad almost everyone here is a stihl/husky fan.

The Echo has a 20" bar on it, it that OK for that saw? I keep telling myself I need a bigger saw (50cc-ish) but in reality this will probably do just fine. It will be for fire wood mostly and a few smaller trees a year.

If you spend alot of time cutting 20" wood you would want a bigger saw. But if you don't then the 20" bar is a good size for the 510. That is what all of mine ran with 3/8 chain. If you have a few cuts to make in bigger wood the 510 will do it, that saw has torque.

I can't tell you why Echo is looked down on so much. They have made a few saws that I would not want to own, but that is no different than any other brand.

What do Echo saws get such a bad rap on this forum? That is the reason I am almost afraid of them, not from experience. Its almost too bad almost everyone here is a stihl/husky fan.

It's not one of the "BIG" names in chainsaws. Most on here think of them as the junk that the homede-pot sells, although they do make better stuff, just not sold at HD.

:cheers:
Mike

Last edited:
Back