Stihl MS251 vs MS271 for my firewood habit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A31unit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for a new saw mostly for firewood. No real large trees. Don't have enough money for a 261 so I have narrowed it down to these 2 in my price range. Stihl dealer right down the street and real good people. I get most of my firewood delivered from a local tree crew in rounds say none larger than 18". The length of these logs is close to 18" but some are longer and some shorter. I usually just split em the way they are delivered and stack em. Then later I will put the split logs into a homemade jig about 3' tall by 16" wide. I pack em in tight and just saw the whole group at once to about 16" so they fit nicely into my wood stove. I like the weight of the 251 and think it should have enough power. It certainly will be used "occasionally" since I only burn 2 cord at the most a year.

Where does the 271 weigh in? Just over 50cc? I don't have my catalog here or I'd look for myself. Remember boys and girls, there is no replacement for displacement.

I think the 271 is 50cc and 12.3lbs it's a "farm and ranch" model
The 251 is 45.6cc and 10.8lbs it's a "homeowner" model
I think the 271 has 1/2 horsepower more.

What about a used 261? There are some great used ones out there. But in terms of the 251 to 271, I am always of fan of an 18" bar and the 271 will run one. If you don't mind the added weight, get the 271.

Stihl sells the ms251 standard with an 18" bar. Wonder why there isn't an option for a 16" bar on this saw.
The 271 can be bought with the choice of a16"-20"

I have a 271 and cannot imagine stepping down to a 251. The price difference is negligible, but the quality difference is not. Much better construction with the 271, better oiling and air filtration. I really stepped it up by running the HD filter on mine.
Seriously, in the cut, my 271 feels more powerful than my 261, for several hundred dollars less. If I had purchased the 271 first, I don't think I would have bought the 261. I'm running 16" 3/8 rs chains on both sàws.

I have a 271 and cannot imagine stepping down to a 251. The price difference is negligible, but the quality difference is not. Much better construction with the 271, better oiling and air filtration. I really stepped it up by running the HD filter on mine.
That hd filter will fit on the 251 also. The parts sheet may be so the guy behind the counter says it is not applicable due to ipl or exploded parts diagram deficiencies. Yes even with the manual in hand pointing to where it says such a thing exists. The 251 is as big as the small (mount) 3005 bar fits on.

I think the 271 is 50cc and 12.3lbs it's a "farm and ranch" model
The 251 is 45.6cc and 10.8lbs it's a "homeowner" model
I think the 271 has 1/2 horsepower more.
Chances are you can walk out of the dealer with an 18 inch bar and picco rim set up on the 251 which would probably put the usefulness for the task described in post 1 pretty similar.

I looked at that farm and ranch sector thinking it was same as homeowner but bigger. I found out the rear handle versions of the ms150 and ms 201 are there and not apparently to be considered pro saws. Kind of strange then I went to the UK Stihl site and there are only 271,291, and 391 in that middle "class"

The "025 is a friend of mine"...here is a decent pile of oak it made short work of!
16 & 18 in bar .325, RS Chain and it flat out slings the chips...in reality I could cut about 90% of my wood with it....I just choose to flirt with other saws from time to time!:innocent:
While my "fabled" Sachs Dolmar 116si looks tough, gathers dust , and repair bills!:yes:
025.jpg

Seriously, in the cut, my 271 feels more powerful than my 261, for several hundred dollars less. If I had purchased the 271 first, I don't think I would have bought the 261. I'm running 16" 3/8 rs chains on both sàws.
So you are saying that the HD air filter gives the 271 more power than the stock one? Your response has me wondering..... I don't think I have ever read where anybody talked so well about a 271. So hard to believe that it seems to pull better than a 261!

I had one to tune up/muffler mod for a guy , i had a spare new 261 air filter and threw it on and it picked up a little over the stock 271 air filter..i was kinda surprised , not a bad saw at all when the air is movin through it.

Man! After reading these comments it is sorta pushing me towards the 271! Especially if I can squeeze a bit more out of it with a 261 air filter!

More cc's will pull an 18" bar with full comp chain better.

The so-called 18" Stihl bars that fit the 251 barely are over 16", as are most others that fit. There are exceptions, at least from Cannon, but those bars really are too expensive for such a saw.

The 271 is a 291 with a smaller engine, and really too heavy and bulky for a 50cc saw.

I don't know how much more expensive a Husky 545 is than a 271, but it is a pro quality saw ("detuned" 550xp) and surely worth it.

Stihl sells the ms251 standard with an 18" bar. Wonder why there isn't an option for a 16" bar on this saw.

See comment above.

Stihl "farm and ranch" saws are the same quality level as the "homeowner" ones, they just are larger.
That's really interesting. Never knew that. I did consider a 545 due to research here but im short on husky dealers where I am. The stihl dealer near me is a stand up mom and pop business. They don't flex the price at all but seem to be knowledgable and they have been in business for as long as I can remember.

Latest posts

Back