Stihl MS261 or Husky 550XP for $170 more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gunner

Reaction score
My first post, and my old P28 just died.
Looking at new 50cc saws and the two in my title interest me.

What's the opinion of others, given the price delta between these two?

Thanks!

sorry where (like what country) do you live and what are the circumstances leading to that difference in price? is the 261 used or something?

Also what are the total prices of the saw? That's a big difference if the saws are $400 and $570 but less of a difference if they are $1200 and $1370....

Is this your only saw? What's your general use felling/limbing bucking/working piles of logs....

My first post, and my old P28 just died.
Looking at new 50cc saws and the two in my title interest me.

What's the opinion of others, given the price delta between these two?

Thanks!

That p22 a nice unit, special you got one dem boys working for you.

even dem boys cant mess up that un

That 261 will vastly improve from new to fully broken in. I just serviced one
the other day and it's had a year of commercial use and it's an animal compared to new.

That 261 will vastly improve from new to fully broken in. I just serviced one
the other day and it's had a year of commercial use and it's an animal compared to new.

Don't have to have any rabies tags or proof of insurance with those animals do ya? :hmm3grin2orange:

Good choice! Husky makes a great saw but their pricing here is ridiculous. 346xp and 550xp are both about $200 more than the 261 where I'm at. Seems crazy. If they were a little closer in price I'd hmm and ha about the pros and cons of each. They're both good saws but the $200 is just too much of a difference. I have a friend that just paid more for a 353 than a 261 because the 261 had a plastic handle. It looked weak compared to the 353's aluminum...

Good choice! Husky makes a great saw but their pricing here is ridiculous. 346xp and 550xp are both about $200 more than the 261 where I'm at. Seems crazy. If they were a little closer in price I'd hmm and ha about the pros and cons of each. They're both good saws but the $200 is just too much of a difference. I have a friend that just paid more for a 353 than a 261 because the 261 had a plastic handle. It looked weak compared to the 353's aluminum...

The plastic handlebar is a minus with the MS261 of course, but there are more important ones, so I usually don't mention it....

The plastic handlebar is a minus with the MS261 of course, but there are more important ones, so I usually don't mention it....

It's hard to put a value on all the little things that make the saws different (ie. Husky better) I suppose. If someone could...I think it would be hard to get the combined perceived value of each item to approach approximately $200 CDN (including sales tax).

Back