Stihl MS271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good choice?

• Total voters
Does anyone know if the 261 oil pump will fit and correctly work on the 271? It looks like they would interchange...
On further examination of my 271, and pix of the 261 oiler, they do not appear to be interchangeable. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Again, no problem with the functionality of the oil pump or saw, in fact it's really a great set up. Just have a hard time with the fact that Stihl has eliminated the adjustable oiler on the newer models.

Well, I'd find the right setting that's " just right", and leave it there. I think I'm overthinking it as I do have the smaller saws with non-adjustable pumps and its been fine.

Again, no problem with the functionality of the oil pump or saw, in fact it's really a great set up. Just have a hard time with the fact that Stihl has eliminated the adjustable oiler on the newer models.

Only on (most) "homeowner" models, not on the pro models. ;)

There is nothing new with that, and it isn't just Stihl that does it.....

Only on (most) "homeowner" models, not on the pro models. ;)

There is nothing new with that, and it isn't just Stihl that does it.....
Yeah, the "homeowner" line hasn't had the adjustable oilers, but the "farm and ranch" line had been adjustable. Now, only the 391, the "top of the line" farm and ranch model, retains this feature. And, yes, the "pro" models do as well. I don't mess with any of the top handle models, so I don't know if they have changed at all.

All my saws with adjustable oilers are left wide open then I do not need to worry when I (on occasion) put on a longer or shorter bar. I want the saw to run out of oil when it runs out of gas , or at least close.

All my saws with adjustable oilers are left wide open then I do not need to worry when I (on occasion) put on a longer or shorter bar. I want the saw to run out of oil when it runs out of gas , or at least close.

That's what I like and what I am used to as well. This 271 seems to run on and on and on with a single tank of fuel. My bar and chain have run dry briefly because of it. I'm just gonna do a full tank of bar oil and 3/4 tank of fuel to avoid this situation. Good news is that the bar and chain are nicely oiled when there is enough oil in the tank! It would be nice to be able scale the oil back just a schosh, but it's not really that big a deal, nor is it a deal breaker. Overall, I am even happier with the 271 that I had hoped to be. It's a great saw!

My father had a ms271 that he left me that has an adjustable oiler and i love that saw so much I figured I'd buy a brand new ms271 there are somethings that are different on them still love them both and he would be proud of me that i bought one. his is about 12-15 years old or so and still buckin like shes new

My father had a ms271 that he left me that has an adjustable oiler and i love that saw so much I figured I'd buy a brand new ms271 there are somethings that are different on them still love them both and he would be proud of me that i bought one. his is about 12-15 years old or so and still buckin like shes new
Do you mean the ms270 instead?

Latest posts

Back