Stihl MS271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good choice?

• Total voters
I agree with the others, that was an excellent review. Best of luck with the 271 and all your saws. For someone looking for an effective lightweight saw who is on a budget, that saw seems like a really good deal. You are almost making me want one (drop the almost)!

So, whats in the stable now?

After looking way back through this I've lost track. With swaps, trades, prospectives and the likes I think it's MS180, 210, 261, 271, 360 and 390??

Remind us?

The 2-smaller saws are the Wife's
The the MS261 & 271 are so close in specs that the only thing noteworthy is one in Pro Grade.
Is the 360 back in action. I may have missed that. Compression low due to high elevation. What of air leaks or lean mix?
I've got an 039 that will pull 25" B&C all week long, I suspect yours will too despite what the "haters think". At the same size and weight, your 029-S and 290 will never be missed.

He's got the 362 C-M if he needs to use a longer bar.

JD, not sure if your 044 is stock or not, but mine really woke up with the combo of a duel port muffler cover and a K&N Air Filter. However, I did put the foam outer ring over the K&N because it was picking up dirt fast.

Big difference in performance though, for very small coin.

Nice objective comment Spectre. While I would love to have a 261CM I cant justify it because I already have a the 271 and it does what I need and does it well especially with a 16" bar. Now I will get a 70cc saw probably a 441CM. That I can justify but another 50cc saw when I have one that meets my needs in that department is something that I cant justify.

What size bar are you running on the 271?
I'm running a 16" on both the 261 and 271. The 390 and 362 are set up with 20"s. All are 3/8" 0.050 gauge, all 33RS chipper chains.
I was able to justify the addition of the 271 despite the recent 261 purchase because I wanted to save my "pro" saws for heavy cutting. Heck, the 261 is even lighter and more powerful than the 271. But that's just it. More power isn't always a good thing. I recall using my 029 on really small stuff because it was all I had. It was, in my opinion, downright dangerous, and we added the 180 to handle little stuff and made it my Wife's limbing saw. This 271 is so smooth cutting that I think she will be able to use it safely, and enjoy it. The 210 is pushing it for her comfort level for using a saw for any length of time, but we will see. Maybe I can talk her into a few cuts with the 271 next week. If all the cutting I were to do was just stuff on our property, the 271 would probably be all I would need for a "big" saw. I was able to use it to level some pretty decent size stumps of juniper (2-3' diameter) that I had been meaning to clean up some. We do get into some fairly large stuff cutting firewood on USFS land, but nothing that the 390/362 can't handle. It's not like we are tackling sequoias or anything. I do think I may try to get into a 441C-M, or even a 461 (my preference) if and when they release a C-M version.

I did open the muffler up about 2 1/2 times bigger, I still have the HD filter. I took two Douglas fir down this weekend, both around 26in, the saw ran well. I would laugh at a $500 dollar offer for my 044, it has a new wide tip 25in ES bar, it was old stock I don't think they make them any more. $56 dollars I was happy.

So, whats in the stable now?

After looking way back through this I've lost track. With swaps, trades, prospectives and the likes I think it's MS180, 210, 261, 271, 360 and 390??

Remind us?

The 2-smaller saws are the Wife's
The the MS261 & 271 are so close in specs that the only thing noteworthy is one in Pro Grade.
Is the 360 back in action. I may have missed that. Compression low due to high elevation. What of air leaks or lean mix?
I've got an 039 that will pull 25" B&C all week long, I suspect yours will too despite what the "haters think". At the same size and weight, your 029-S and 290 will never be missed.

MS018c
MS210
MS271
MS261 C-M
MS390
MS362 C-M

The 360, 029, 290 are no longer. All sold or traded off.

Popped into ACE today, (Not my dealer) and thought I'd look at the saws quick. Had the crazy notion that, if need be, maybe I could get a 291 adjustable oiler kit and install it in the 271. Well, many of you may know this, but I had no idea...the 291 doesn't have an adjustable oiler either. Nor did the 311. The 391 did, as did the NOS 280, but it looks like Stihl is moving away from adjustable oilers on most of their saws. Anyone have any idea why they would do such a thing? Will the 261 oiler fit in a 271? I think I've figured out that I will need to stop the saw every 45 minutes or so and top off the oil and fuel, but for a saw that will run at least and hour on a single tank, I'm kinda bummed that I'm going through bar oil faster than the fuel. Many posts I've seen say that some folks are going through 2+ tanks of fuel to one tank of bar oil. That seems like not enough oil to me, as my saws have historically run 1:1 on bar oil and fuel consumption. I'd certainly rather have too much bar oil being used rather than not enough, but I would like to have some say in it, so to speak. Well, no biggie, as I have already come up with a solution to ensure that my bar and chain don't run dry, but I found it interesting that they did away with the adjustability. Guess it's a cost cutting measure, but it's also one less thing to break!

I had an MS271 for a short time before I traded it in on a 261C-M. Ran about 2 tanks of fuel through it. It would use about 3/4 a tank of oil to a tank of fuel. Now just a thought here, but could the rim sprocket and 3/8" 0.050 gauge, 33RS chipper chain you added changed the amount of oil out put?

I had an MS271 for a short time before I traded it in on a 261C-M. Ran about 2 tanks of fuel through it. It would use about 3/4 a tank of oil to a tank of fuel. Now just a thought here, but could the rim sprocket and 3/8" 0.050 gauge, 33RS chipper chain you added changed the amount of oil out put?
Let me be clear. I am not having any problems with the oiler. It is working just fine. I am just used to running out of fuel before bar oil. The saw is using at a rate of about 1:1, but acts like its out of oil before it is. In other words, when oil level is low but not empty, it doesn't pump oil. The only problem is that there is still fuel to run the saw. As a result, I made one small cut with a nearly dry bar and chain. I will just have to watch my fill levels/intervals more closely.

So on my ms290 its the right thing to do (oiler on max setting, right)? I see only pluses with using more oil minus the cost and enviro aspects. Finally drying up some here in NJ so I might go cut / clear some trails. Anyone else like to cut after it rains? I dont want to burn down woods I dont own! So thats why I try to cut the day after a heavy rain. Of course I am not making a living outa this so I can be picky as to when I cut.

Mine is pretty close to 1:1 as well. It doesnt seem to dry up or slow down much when the tank gets low. It may be a little lighter at the end of the tank I just have not noticed

That is a problem. I would not fill the gas tank, just mark where it should be filled to still have oil (sounds like it gives you plenty of run time).
Not really. the saw goes a long way on a tank of fuel. I check the oil frequently and add as needed. As far as the oil goes, I'd rather it use more than less. I also do not fill to the top. Don't have any flippy cap issues. not yet anyway

33RS isn't chipper chain, it is chisel!

Does anyone know if the 261 oil pump will fit and correctly work on the 271? It looks like they would interchange...

Latest posts

Back