Stihl MS291 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9-8-17 Update

Went to pick up my saw today. The tech asked me if I used "old gas" from a can. He said he smelled the gas and it smelled old so he drained it, put new gas in and changed the spark plug and it fired up just fine.

I was in the middle of cutting down a tree and was 90% done. Was on my 2nd or 3rd tank when the saw died mid cut and got the gas from the same gas can I usually use. It's a 2 gallon can so I go through it often. I suppose the spark plug could have gone while working?

Either way, $50 + the new saw I bought and she's back up and running.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9-8-17 Update

Went to pick up my saw today. The tech asked me if I used "old gas" from a can. He said he smelled the gas and it smelled old so he drained it, put new gas in and changed the spark plug and it fired up just fine.

I was in the middle of cutting down a tree and was 90% done. Was on my 2nd or 3rd tank when the saw died mid cut and got the gas from the same gas can I usually use. It's a 2 gallon can so I go through it often. I suppose the spark plug could have gone while working?

Either way, $50 + the new saw I bought and she's back up and running.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

Awesome. Run it hard to be sure. When I mix gas use ethonol free and mark date on twisty label. Couple months dump in truck.
Cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Ethanol free gas, premium synthetic oil, and either Stabil or Sea Foam mixed in EVERY can, no matter how long you are going to have the fuel. Since I started this regimen, I've never had a fuel-related issue. I have a 15 year old 029 Super that has had a lot of use at times, and has sat for a year at a time (with fuel in it). Never the first fuel issue with it. It's just cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just wondering if you stayed or ran from Irma? (you say you are in central Florida)

We stayed. The house is boarded up and sandbags are all over. Tree work is a small side job for me that I unintentionally started last year after hurricane Mathew.

My full time job requires me to stay and probably work 18 hour days during and for the first few days after the storm.

If you did stay I hope you get threw the storm safe and in good health.

Thanks. We're as prepared as can be. The one good thing about the storm is that it's moving at 17mph which means flooding from rain won't be as serious. If she slows down to 12mph or less, then flooding will be a concern. Another positive thing is she shifted west. This means the storm surge will be less. That's important because the flood systems are set up to drain into the river which flows into the ocean (I'm 3 miles from the beach). If the surge is minimal, its not a full moon and the peak of flooding is not at high tide, we should be ok in the flooding aspect. Wind and tornadoes will be the major concern.

Thanks. We're as prepared as can be. The one good thing about the storm is that it's moving at 17mph which means flooding from rain won't be as serious. If she slows down to 12mph or less, then flooding will be a concern. Another positive thing is she shifted west. This means the storm surge will be less. That's important because the flood systems are set up to drain into the river which flows into the ocean (I'm 3 miles from the beach). If the surge is minimal, its not a full moon and the peak of flooding is not at high tide, we should be ok in the flooding aspect. Wind and tornadoes will be the major concern.

First of all, I have the MS362C and really like it. You made a good choice. I sold my MS290 as son as I got the 362 because I have an 025. We have friends in Sebring and they're hunkering down too. God bless you.

Back