Stihl MS441CRM-Tronic Ported Work Saw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pic's, that's exactly the saw I'm wanting right now, although it would likely be wearing a 25" bar. Guess I'm gonna' have to sell a few things...

I think the new 441 can handle itself pretty good when ported, I will be looking forward to a 460 vs a 441 match the most though. If it can beat up on a 460 it looks like I may just have to buy the CM instead of the new 461 only time will tell I guess. I mean if a ported CM can pull a 32'' bar on a occasion I may get that over a new unreleased 461

I think the new 441 can handle itself pretty good when ported, I will be looking forward to a 460 vs a 441 match the most though. If it can beat up on a 460 it looks like I may just have to buy the CM instead of the new 461 only time will tell I guess. I mean if a ported CM can pull a 32'' bar on a occasion I may get that over a new unreleased 461

Yeah, I'd love to see the 441C up against some know standards like a 460 and a 372. In fact, I think a really cool build-off would be a Strato 70cc class competition.

Thats an inyeresting point you make there Brad,it sounds like its doing high rpms but i dont think it is,im know Johns is about 13300 if i remember correctly,i will tach it today if time allows.

Don't be surprised if the 441 beats the 660s in that size wood. They turn higher RPMs. That's what I love so much about 70cc class saws.

Until you start really loading the saw and the 660 keps it's revs :) I've done that comparo before with my stock 3120 and it pumped my other modded saws. Revs are cool bananas but torque also counts a lot. Oh and I'm bigger than you so can apply more of my gravitational affect ;)

If you dont start being nice you wont get to play with it.:)

:(

One thing i found today is the Works Connection tach wont work on it properly,at idle it seam ok bur at rpm its like its doubled,i changed the settings on the tach but no good.The coil or something is differant than other saws ?.

Interesting mate. When I tried to tach that little 241C M-Tronic at that forestry course my Fast Tach seemed to play around a bit too.

My MS441 C bumps the rev limiter, fuel shut off, or however it limits the RPMs at 13,300, that is correct. It sounds way higher than it really is, however it also holds rpms higher in the cut than any other saw I have.
Next time out I'll get some under load 28" bar rpms and see where she is. The torque is quite amazing.

Having a limited amount of wood to cut and enjoying to cut wood, I actually have found myself taking any other saw out to use than the 441 C simply because it is such a high production saw and can get through alot of wood in a hurry, bringing my fun to an end sooner than hoped for. :msp_sad: Never thought I would leave a saw home because it was too fast! And a large part of the speed comes from the efficiency and mileage of the saw.

But when they (Country Club) are in a big "get 'er done hurry" that's the saw I grab first.

Ok guys have been playing with the 441C in a work environment this time as it will have to get used to it or pack its bags.We are on the second tank today and got into my late season Stringbark firewood, had interesting couple of hours.The more i use this saw the more i like it,its amazing how it adjusts its self as you go,in the vid you can see when i put the dogs in and push it seams to find another gear and away it goes,when you push instead of bogging down like a normal saw it gust keeps going and even increases in rpm if this is how saws are going to be in the future than i m all for it bring it on 661C.
I allso had a little experiment today i normally use Caltex Premium fuel 95 Ron Octane no Ethanol but on the way out to the bush i got some BP Ultimate Premium 98 Ron Octane no Ethanol fuel so on the third tank i used this,well it didn't like it for a min or so and then after it worked it out all was good again.So far i am very impressed with this saw and its performance.
To be continued.

attachment.php

attachment.php

[video=youtube;NvVhUR9b-Vc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVhUR9b-Vc[/video]

Last edited:

From what i have heard the new 461 will not be a M-Tronic.
But i am really really hopping the 661 is.:msp_unsure:

Until you start really loading the saw and the 660 keps it's revs :) I've done that comparo before with my stock 3120 and it pumped my other modded saws. Revs are cool bananas but torque also counts a lot. Oh and I'm bigger than you so can apply more of my gravitational affect ;)

I agree what you say here matt but
In the above vid watch what happens when i use the spikes and apply more pressure,its like it re tunes its self and finds another gear and in fact even increases rpm.So i assume it richens its self up thus increasing torque,very clever this system but i dont know what a stock one does with standard electronic settings ?.
If Stihl can come up with a 90 ish cc saw with this M-Tronic system on it look out thats going to be one bad ass saw.:clap:

What I've realized with the m tronic platform is that an operator isn't alone anymore with the saw in the woods. The intelligence of the electronics is like watching a "little man" with a screwdriver constantly tuning the H screw in the
cut all the time.

Time flies by like never before as the wood piles up along with the chips while being entertained by the 441c.

Something i forgot to share is the AV with the stiffer springs i think it is spot on,thats one thing i didnt like about the first one i had and ya its as smooth as people have said,i cant see any of those tingley hands from this saw.;)

Last edited:
I agree what you say here matt but
In the above vid watch what happens when i use the spikes and apply more pressure,its like it re tunes its self and finds another gear and in fact even increases rpm.So i assume it richens its self up thus increasing torque,very clever this system but i dont know what a stock one does with standard electronic settings ?.

Hey I agree witt the self tuning bit mate as it's awesome. But one thing M-Tronic can't bridge is an overall torque gap of 22cc when you lean into it. I'd love to be proven wrong though and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either. You've got stock 660's that it will pump but a modded 660 me no think so. But then again you won't have to fill the 441 up every 5 minutes ;)
By the way I have my "mini" 441C M- Tronic (MS241C) on it's way from England :D Had to jump through a few hurdles so they'd post it to me (ie: prove I'm a business etc) but very very impressed with this company's service, and price. If any other Aussies want one of these let me know :cheers:

If Stihl can come up with a 90 ish cc saw with this M-Tronic system on it look out thats going to be one bad ass saw.:clap:

Ken oath old son. Scary stuff indeed...

Last edited:
I fully agree with displacement being very difficult to overcome, especially running long bars. Maybe we all are thinking too much about comparing the 660 to the 441. This saw is only 70cc and should be compared to like kind to be fair. But most of us are always over reaching, me included, to the next Big Saw up in the rankings, to justify just how good the size saw is that we have. That's why having 20cc spacing is a good plan, Brad has always been a strong proponent of this idea and I fully agree. However CAD does get in the way!

Having said all that brings me back to this particular 441C fully ported saw. IMO, cc vs. cc. this is the very best in it's class all things considered equal at this time. Mileage, suspension, adaptability to elevation/fuel, filtration, and saw build quality.

This particular saw being fully ported and called a Sawzilla, FOR NOW, is one very nice 70cc chainsaw that makes you feel more a team, man and machine, instead of just cutting firewood.

I am very curious to see a fully ported Husky 576AT in the very near future. Now that would be a worthy comparision IMO.

Latest posts

Back