Stihl MS441CRM-Tronic Ported Work Saw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fully agree with displacement being very difficult to overcome, especially running long bars. Maybe we all are thinking too much about comparing the 660 to the 441. This saw is only 70cc and should be compared to like kind to be fair. But most of us are always over reaching, me included, to the next Big Saw up in the rankings, to justify just how good the size saw is that we have. That's why having 20cc spacing is a good plan, Brad has always been a strong proponent of this idea and I fully agree. However CAD does get in the way!

Having said all that brings me back to this particular 441C fully ported saw. IMO, cc vs. cc. this is the very best in it's class all things considered equal at this time. Mileage, suspension, adaptability to elevation/fuel, filtration, and saw build quality.

This particular saw being fully ported and called a Sawzilla, FOR NOW, is one very nice 70cc chainsaw that makes you feel more a team, man and machine, instead of just cutting firewood.

I am very curious to see a fully ported Husky 576AT in the very near future. Now that would be a worthy comparision IMO.

I think you may be on the money there John,yes it is a 70 cc saw that is ported with a very clever control system that produces the best from the saw,are we asking to much from it i dont know but time will tell.:smile2:

I think you may be on the money there John,yes it is a 70 cc saw that is ported with a very clever control system that produces the best from the saw,are we asking to much from it i dont know but time will tell.:smile2:

Agreed. Looking forward to more widespread AT/C-M application. Now that we (or rather some) have the MS241C, which I'm guessing should have the newer, cleaner carb design, I'd frankly love to see it applied to a 372 or an MS460/461. I know it's jumping brands, but can you imagine what an M-Tronic 7900 would likely do?

I would love to get hold of a stock 441C M-Tronic and see the differance,i was at my Stihl dealer today and he didnt even know when they were coming and have not had any training to do with them ?.
I dont know how well they will be taken to over here,most home owners use small saws and the firewood farmer types have 60 cc saws,and the real firewood cutters have 460s and 660s type saws.Then there is the CAD ones that have at least one of everything.
I havn't got a 362 so im doing ok.:laugh:

From what i have heard the new 461 will not be a M-Tronic.
But i am really really hopping the 661 is.:msp_unsure:

That is what I am hearing here also, only time will tell it would be cool to see a 461 C though. I know that this 441 is ported and all but with this video of that saw I am having a hard time deciding if I want a 461 or 441 C and have it ported. this is going to drive me nuts lol

Got a vid of the 441C on its third tank starting to pay for its self seeing how its a work saw with some firewood,i have noticed this crackle rev limiter,fuel reducing what ever to control rpm appearing more and more as we go.Like i have said before its a bit strange not being in control of anything to do with the tune at all,but i will say this saw is not running lean, but a bit rich if anything which is a good thing.
Anyway this is the type of work this saws is going to be doing a lot of so it better get used to it,im liking this auto tune system more and more as im getting my head around,suppose in a way it is ideate proof.:biggrin:
It would be good to have something in the 70cc class to compare it to.:msp_unsure:
Comment away good or bad.

[video=youtube;nHcC5X0flGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHcC5X0flGA[/video]

She started out looking strong, and seems to be waking up even more. I'd love to be at the controls myself to see, but it seems to like it being dogged in and pushed, yet also happy to rev away. Really seems to be an appealing saw.

Having cut Stringybark plenty, I know it's traits. A saw can sound like it's a little low on torque in this stuff when in actual fact it's the fibrous bark slowing the saw. It clogs up the bar and chain etc. On occasions I've had to remove the bar and chain as it was the only way I could get the chain to move. A common habit of mine is to rev the saw out of the wood to clear things out.

It's running well there Andrew.

:msp_thumbup:

Having cut Stringybark plenty, I know it's traits. A saw can sound like it's a little low on torque in this stuff when in actual fact it's the fibrous bark slowing the saw. It clogs up the bar and chain etc. On occasions I've had to remove the bar and chain as it was the only way I could get the chain to move. A common habit of mine is to rev the saw out of the wood to clear things out.

Yeah I know what you mean Al, it binds the chain right up. Running the saw out of the wood helps though. That stringybark can be annoying with little saws to, I noticed it gets in everywhere under the clutch cover of my 200t and builds up.

Stringybark

I have been cutting a fair bit of dead stringy with the bark on , some of it the bark is over an inch and a half thick , have had to modify the bar and saw oil feed to keep the oil up (heavy duty oiler and stihl bar oil) to reduce bar and chain wear , the thick fiber drags all the oil off the chain . where the 460 will cut thru a 24-30 inch log i have to use the 660 if there is bark . the power loss because of the bark is quite significant .

Its funny that how we have habbits and it all comes from the wood we cut,i never noticed that untill you said, a little rev after every cut to clear the crap and make sure we are not clogged up,nice one guys.
With this Stringybark when the top of the bar and chain enters the wood the bark grabs the chain and lifts the chain out of the bar this allows bark fibres to travel down the bar grooves and cloggs things up,the same happens when ya brake through at the bottom its a pain in the ass but so is most of owh hard woods over here a,good pick up blokes.;)

I have pulled apart the 441C today and had a bit of a look see (to hot today for cutting) trying to work out why this Works Connection tach wont work properly.
Pics coming latter.

I call them "modified saws." Although I did name one "Barbara" one time, as in "That's the Barbara saw."

I have low-grade consumer saws that I loan out to friends and neighbors. Those are known as the "****" saws.

if i borrow one will it take my house my car my boat my saws ??? naaaa keep em :msp_unsure: :msp_scared: :msp_biggrin:

Back