Stihl MS441CRM-Tronic Ported Work Saw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes there is two small wires black and red coming from the lower magnet that go all the way up to the side of the carb on the right hand side and i assume they power the brains of the system.

The flywheel has two sets of magnets, Thats what is affecting the tach.

Yes there is two small wires black and red coming from the lower magnet that go all the way up to the side of the carb on the right hand side and i assume they power the brains of the system.

So perhaps it's much less "sophisticated" than we're thinking. Separate circuits (one for spark/timing and one for carb/M-Tronic info purposes) and both triggering the tach.

I had a muck around with the tach wire put it around the ceramic part of the spark plug same sh-t.
even tryed insulating the wire with alloy foil no good,there must be a way ?.

The mysteries of the M-Tronic. :bang:

There is one person I know that has the answer, but he will be away for awhile......

I had a muck around with the tach wire put it around the ceramic part of the spark plug same sh-t.
even tryed insulating the wire with alloy foil no good,there must be a way ?.

I've worked it out Andrew.
Just bust all but 4 fins off the flywheel and mount an optical model aeroplane tacho there and set it to a 4 blade propellor :)

Matt i dont know how your misses puts up with you.

When in truble get the instructions out,there is a high and low sensitivity on the tach i will try changing that.

Last edited:
Matt i dont know how your misses puts up with you.

When i truble get the instructions out,there is a high and low sensitivity on the tach i will try changing that.

I'm not game to pull that sh*t on the missus mate. I just turn tough on the intranets. At home I'm a demolished shell of a man...

I don't think that trying to "pickup" the signal from the spark plug is going to net a positive on this one, as it seems the system is sending multiple sparks to the plug, so attempts at getting a better reading from the spark plug wire or the plug itself will only net in these high reading.

That is my take on it.

Sam

The wire with the port for stihls computer to plug into the mtronic system is the key.

My thought is to see what stihls reader looks like, experience its program etc.

A tach that had the ability to plug into this port just may receive the engine revolutions from there.

The wire with the port for stihls computer to plug into the mtronic system is the key.

My thought is to see what stihls reader looks like, experience its program etc.

A tach that had the ability to plug into this port just may receive the engine revolutions from there.

Interesting John
What i did today was take the tach wire off the spark plug wire and started the saw and moved the tach wire around the saw,the only signal was around the spark plug wire,i did hold it up against those two wires black and red that go to that plug in port under where the carb adjustment once were,no signal there.

Another vid this time forth tank 25'' bar semi chisel work chain and a 7 pin sprocket in Cypress.

[video=youtube;N5QLq6rim6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QLq6rim6I[/video]

IMHO best stihl saw on the market for now. Would love to try the 241 CM also, i have a friend in germany that can get me one but with the exchange rate looking at over a $1000 to get the saw in my hands.

IMHO best stihl saw on the market for now. Would love to try the 241 CM also, i have a friend in germany that can get me one but with the exchange rate looking at over a $1000 to get the saw in my hands.

Have a look at Matt's (MCW) 241 thread, you may be able to get a 241 from the UK for around $650.

Edit: Stihlman beat me to it haha

Last edited:
Still havnt got this Works Connection tach thing worked out yet,tryed the low sensitivity mode on it not no differance.:(

Just for the record the spark system isn't like the MSD like I thought it was. Your mini tach isn't going to work on it period, unless they develop something different in the software. I'm going to call them today with some information to see if they can upgrade their system to work with the M-Tronics not sure how that will go or if they care, as the market is likely quite small comparitively.

Sam

Back