Stihl ms500i with a .404 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I googled 3/8 vs 404. Came up with a 3 p thread on here from 2010 and one from 2011 on another site. One thing for sure, there was seasoned vets saying
the same things that "404 stays sharper longer"..."save more money in the long run"
Less jamming/pinching/plugging/stretching
/sagging/breaking/derailing.
I guy said we would probably not believe it but the 404 cut faster than 3/8 on the big old antiques he has.
Both were relatively similar to this thread scenario as only 2 out of ten are for the swap.
That didn't seem to change either..lol

Lots of talk about the O8 & the O8S on the one thread as you guys were talking about
Guy said he had the 3/8 OEM 3/8 O8S & wanted to try the 404 option. Said he took it off and never to try it again.
Other guy said it was a 56cc saw and it was fine. Said it's not fast but a tough, steady, 'one gear' work horse.

Another guy said the early O8 was only 48cc up to 1969 but don't let the size fool you. Said he bought a new one in '64 with 404 for $175. (Seems like alot?) He said the 48cc chugged along just fine.
Think it was another that said It wasn't the best balanced saw but lots of torque.
He closed with saying it was a good match... A tough saw with a tough chain.
It definitely has a following.

Wow..can't believe I retained all that.
*why couldn't I remember two word I read in school..Oh yeah that's right,, you didn't read two words in school*

Very true! Don't think anyone on his thread was/would disagree with that.

A "shock" from clattering into dry hard wood trying to penetrate a wider tooth.
Sounds like the extreme but maybe the extreme is quite common in his area?
"punching out bearing" on some saws? I'm not sure. It may feel 20 times worse on him.
It absolutely left him with that impression that it couldn't be good.
I would have to talk to him more.
You would definitely want the best set up for that if you had to do lots of it.
I don't like my eyeballs
bouncing.
---------

My buddy had a saw shop in Vancouver's lower mainland. He had a bundle cutting gig under the patella bridge that he would do maybe thee night after work.
It was a 72" bar with a tail handle full comp was needed. If I was visiting for a few weeks I would take his Mechanic about 3:00pm and run the power head and get it done by the time he closed. They would lay out about 52 bundles of 4'x4'x8' of dry 1"x2". It would come off the train and layed out with chalk lines through the centre. We would cut it and then they load it back on the train for the US market
We would get a fair bit of Cedar post too.
These guys were alway in a hurry to lay it out and we were always in a hurry to get out of there so if they didn't set the dunnage in the right spot then the
half (s) fold in or dont open up. He would send me with a couple ported 3120. You had to just keep the trigger on and try not to get it caught and plugged. Sometimes it could go bad wedging the halfs back up to get saw out. It's hard when it gets stuck still in the wood and the grove is plugged tight.
Sometimes powerhead had to come off.
I seemed to get them done pretty quick.
Hard on the saws. He wouldn't get so many chains before each rebuild,, It would be so many rebuilds to the chain. It would be the pack weigh that was punching out the bearing. He got sick of rebuilding them. He had an 088 & 090 but used the 090 and never had an issue. I tried saw once. Never again. Saws definitely have there limits.
That's why they came out with skip when saws became less powerful.
Semi chisel is the ticket , best of both worlds ! Thanks for the follow up !

Buckin’ has put me off the 500i, seeing a ported 58cc old pioneer have exactly the same cut times as a 500i makes you question things a little. Sounds like learning to port is far better than buying a bigger saw :laugh:
Yeah I think his main porter is iron horse? Any suggestions on how that guy is? Pretty sure that he did the old pioneer.

Yeah I think his main porter is iron horse? Any suggestions on how that guy is? Pretty sure that he did the old pioneer.
Yes that one was Iron horse. He also has a number of saws ported by Bell hopper and Donny and Bobby Walker. Recently he got a ported homelite from Tinman (member on here but I don’t know his username) too.

As for how he is, better than John Riley by the sounds of it. That chap made quite the storm on the other forum it seems.

It's the impact, not just simply pulling the engine down.
A properly ground or filed .404 chain does not negatively impact the performance or lifecycle of a properly maintained & operated saw in any wood source...period ! P.S. I would love to have seen that ole Pioneer vs 500i comparison lol ;)

IH is a joke, Nick Hanna even said so in Billy's FB group. No 58cc saw is going to out cut the 500i if things are even close to equal. Billy is a great guy btw, but some of the people he pushes not so much.

IH is a joke, Nick Hanna even said so in Billy's FB group. No 58cc saw is going to out cut the 500i if things are even close to equal. Billy is a great guy btw, but some of the people he pushes not so much.
Hey, it’s up on YT, I honestly didn’t pay much attention, I skip through a huge amount of his stuff but at one part of the video I jumped to I just saw a split screen of the two head to head with the same cut times. For all I know one chain could be dull and the other sharp, could be same bar and chain, honestly I didn’t look. I may watch a total of 2 minutes of a 40 minute video of his. I can’t sit through it. Someone else with more patients can do so and report back the specifics :laugh:

Not sure of the time but this was the video I believe

Edit:

Different chains, but both fresh square grind he says.

Buckin’ has put me off the 500i, seeing a ported 58cc old pioneer have exactly the same cut times as a 500i makes you question things a little. Sounds like learning to port is far better than buying a bigger saw :laugh:

Buckin has some bad-ass saws. Run sweet and cut so so fast. I've seen about a 1000 YT saw videos, and Buckin has the best. I have never run a ported saw, but IMO a bigger saw is the answer to faster, more reliable and will have the factory assurance that it is going to last. Porting sounds like a gamble -- lots can go wrong. And at the rate that people here port, then hardly use, and then quickly sell the same ported saws tells me that something is not right.

Buckin has some bad-ass saws. Run sweet and cut so so fast. I've seen about a 1000 YT saw videos, and Buckin has the best. I have never run a ported saw, but IMO a bigger saw is the answer to faster, more reliable and will have the factory assurance that it is going to last. Porting sounds like a gamble -- lots can go wrong. And at the rate that people here port, then hardly use, and then quickly sell the same ported saws tells me that something is not right.

Many loggers use ported saw, they last just as long as factory, maybe longer. I think you like stirring the pot for fun. You've never ran a ported saw, but somehow you know they don't last.[emoji1] Some guys like collecting buying and selling, others use them day in day out.

I met Billy, real nice man! I did get to run a couple saws they had a Buckinstock, they run a bit different in hardwood.[emoji6] Let's just say my ported 390xp and 550xp were well liked.
eec4f6379017164c93e264b03ffeecda.jpg
ea8241b0a41b7ed2c56611c1a576e4ac.jpg

‘Tis still up on his YouTube :)
Lmao , I just finished watching the video , yep that ole Pioneer girl holds her own , love the sound of ported Pioneers , with fresh ground skip tooth . I would love to see her set up with full comp . I have ran my 11-60 1967 era. bone stock , against my woodported 357 xp 2007 era. numerous times though , stock to stock its close however the porting on the xp makes it walk away from the green lady , let alone a 80 cc saw. You must also remember that the 500 i is running hand file stock chain vs a aggressive grind profile skip tooth on the P-38 . I ' am very surprised the ole girl was even close . Love Billy met him once up in Peterbourgh at a GTG .

Lmao , I just finished watching the video , yep that ole Pioneer girl holds her own , love the sound of ported Pioneers , with fresh ground skip tooth . I would love to see her set up with full comp . I have ran my 11-60 1967 era. bone stock , against my woodported 357 xp 2007 era. numerous times though , stock to stock its close however the porting on the xp makes it walk away from the green lady . You must also remember that the 500 i is running hand file stock chain vs a aggressive grind profile skip tooth on the P-38 . I ' am very surprised the ole girl was even close . Love Billy met him once up in Peterbourgh at a GTG .
Na that Stihl is running a fresh square grind - skip to 5.55 in the video.

Billy respects all saws , however has a arrangement with Husquarna obviously !
I don't know if he has an arrangement or not, I think he's just used to Husqvarna saws, especially the older ones, I like them too. I'll be getting a 592 when they get here, I have high hopes for that one.

Buckin has some bad-ass saws. Run sweet and cut so so fast. I've seen about a 1000 YT saw videos, and Buckin has the best. I have never run a ported saw, but IMO a bigger saw is the answer to faster, more reliable and will have the factory assurance that it is going to last. Porting sounds like a gamble -- lots can go wrong. And at the rate that people here port, then hardly use, and then quickly sell the same ported saws tells me that something is not rig

Na that Stihl is running a fresh square grind - skip to 5.55 in the video.
I'll have to review the video again , Billy kept changing chains on the video from ground to handfiled lol. However apples to apples no 58 cc saw will out cut a 80 cc class saw modded or not , even a Pioneer ;)

i'll use 404 on anything that will pull it like it owns it.
right now 288 is smallest
new to me 5200 has 3/8 now, but will try 404 someday
pluggin up n durability are my "whys"

wbf, the pattullo will be gone in few yr, i been round hear 30+yr, few blk behind turf.
many changes over that time
when's last time u were around?

Back