Stihl people... What is all this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a "Arctic" model as well?? What makes it Arctic? Will it run when its 90º out? Will it have a blue chain for cold? :cold:

Runs like a normal one whenever the switch ius turned off. Sadly you can't walk in to a Stihl dealer in the USA and get one of the shelf like I can here in Canada. Only way to get one down there is to have one sent from up here.

Honestly I never had any trouble keeping warm cutting/splitting firewood in the Winter. Usually down to just a sweatshirt pretty quick.

I bought a 362 C without the M-Tronic because I can tune my own saw just fine and I feel that the computer is one more thing to go wrong.
It has been a great saw, has a 25” Bar and I use the yellow chain. The yellow chain cuts like butter in clean wood. However you mentioned that you have some dirty wood, that will dull a yellow chain very fast. So watch out for the dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, but the yellow link on the chain has absolutely nothing to do with how long a chain stays sharp. It denotes the level of kickback reduction features on the chain. I believe you're thinking of semi chisel versus full chisel. Both are available in yellow and green chains. Fill chisel cuts faster and dulls easier.

Sorry, but the yellow link on the chain has absolutely nothing to do with how long a chain stays sharp. It denotes the level of kickback reduction features on the chain. I believe you're thinking of semi chisel versus full chisel. Both are available in yellow and green chains. Fill chisel cuts faster and dulls easier.

I do know about the anti kick back features of green vs yellow link chain. I generally only run RSF chains. At one time Stihl had a line in the description that said recommended for clean wood only. I do understand that they offer a wide range of chains in both green and yellow. I should have been more specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I want a DEPENDABLE 60cc saw that will start when its below 20º in the winter and run when its 90º in the summer. I use it every weekend. I own a forest so I cut firewood and clear downed trees mostly good wood but some is dirty.

You are looking at the wrong color saw then. If you want a stihl to get up and go to work in the morning, you need to tuck it into bed at night with a glass of warm milk. Waltz over to the dark side and grab a husky 562xp and you will never look back.

You are looking at the wrong color saw then. If you want a stihl to get up and go to work in the morning, you need to tuck it into bed at night with a glass of warm milk. Waltz over to the dark side and grab a husky 562xp and you will never look back.

Can you tell me about it? It is also computer controlled?

I want a DEPENDABLE 60cc saw that will start when its below 20º in the winter and run when its 90º in the summer. I use it every weekend. I own a forest so I cut firewood and clear downed trees mostly good wood but some is dirty.

All my Stihl saws do that. Well, maybe not 90*, doesn't get that hot, but for sure -20*.

Uh oh....

You just can't do this to the Stihl guys. They're sensitive. You set off an alert on their phones when you put Stihl in the thread title, that's all you're going to be able to talk about here.

Sorry, gotta start a new one if you wanna talk about work saws;)

“I only ride em, I don’t know what makes them work” Oddball, Kelly’s Heros MGM’ 1970. Yup, some sort of computer doin’ smoothing but the saw starts just like a regular saw with a choke lever. Only difference I have found is that it usually takes two pulls to start when warm.

In cutting the saw adjusts itself to run optimally given cutting conditions. In layman’s terms, the saw simply gets pissed off the wood and just when you think its bottomed out, it will dig a bit deeper and find a few more CC. It is one of the most impressive saws I have ever run out of the box.

“I only ride em, I don’t know what makes them work” Oddball, Kelly’s Heros MGM’ 1970. Yup, some sort of computer doin’ smoothing but the saw starts just like a regular saw with a choke lever. Only difference I have found is that it usually takes two pulls to start when warm.

In cutting the saw adjusts itself to run optimally given cutting conditions. In layman’s terms, the saw simply gets pissed off the wood and just when you think its bottomed out, it will dig a bit deeper and find a few more CC. It is one of the most impressive saws I have ever run out of the box.

Saws can get pissed off now?..... :laugh:

Uh oh....

You just can't do this to the Stihl guys. They're sensitive. You set off an alert on their phones when you put Stihl in the thread title, that's all you're going to be able to talk about here.

Sorry, gotta start a new one if you wanna talk about work saws;)

:laugh:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the new computer-controlled tech. For the most part, it seems to be working out well. The improvements in power and fuel efficiency are impressive and welcome. Case in point, I am in need of a new dumpy old sedan to drive but I prefer a manual transmission. I made the mistake of test driving a new Honda accord recently. I figured a tiny little 2L engine? How good could this thing be? My small truck displaces 6L. I will tell you, I was impressed at the new technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCcvE4pZNQ

I wouldn’t worry too much about the new computer-controlled tech. For the most part, it seems to be working out well. The improvements in power and fuel efficiency are impressive and welcome. Case in point, I am in need of a new dumpy old sedan to drive but I prefer a manual transmission. I made the mistake of test driving a new Honda accord recently. I figured a tiny little 2L engine? How good could this thing be? My small truck displaces 6L. I will tell you, I was impressed at the new technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCcvE4pZNQ

Honda makes a chainsaw?

Honda makes a chainsaw?

Honda power equipment make everything but chainsaws. Komatsu used to make chainsaws under the redmax brand until they were bought out by Husqvarna to acquire strato charging technology. Now Husqvarna who also owns Johnsered will be selling Johnsered rebadged as redmax. To top it all off Stihl, overseas, sells power equipment under Viking brand but apparently has recently changed that to Stihl Tirol. Are you as confused as I am??

The computer adjusts the carb per emissions.
The non computer model you adjust the carb.
I'm going to disagree with this one. I've ran a ms441 carbed and converted it to a mtronic. Runs much stronger. At WOT they sound really close to where I'd adjust the carb to.

The mtronic just meters the fuel similar to how you do with the screwdriver. But multiple times per second, and while you are cutting. Assuming you don't set your manual carbs overly rich by hand, the stratos and restricted muffler is where the emissions come into play.

Latest posts

Back