Stihl people... What is all this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to disagree with this one. I've ran a ms441 carbed and converted it to a mtronic. Runs much stronger. At WOT they sound really close to where I'd adjust the carb to.

The mtronic just meters the fuel similar to how you do with the screwdriver. But multiple times per second, and while you are cutting. Assuming you don't set your manual carbs overly rich by hand, the stratos and restricted muffler is where the emissions come into play.

Correct I agree with you I was saying the carb adjusts per the reading of the emissions coming out of the engine.
Which in turn makes it more fuel efficient with less emissions than running it rich.

Correct I agree with you I was saying the carb adjusts per the reading of the emissions coming out of the engine.
Which in turn makes it more fuel efficient with less emissions than running it rich.

That's not the case. The chip adjusts the fuel rate based on the rpms that the motor is turning. Flywheel speed is what it reads. So if it's turning too fast it adds fuel and vice versa.

The ignition/control module reads RPM via extra poles on the flywheel. It slightly adds or reduces fuel and reads if the rpm raises or lowers, similar how you tune a carb with a tach. This happens in fractions of a second timing, faster than you notice. It doesn't read emissions, just rpm.

That's not the case. The chip adjusts the fuel rate based on the rpms that the motor is turning. Flywheel speed is what it reads. So if it's turning too fast it adds fuel and vice versa.

Ok I got you now I thought it was more emission related.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Ok I got you now I thought it was more emission related.
Thanks for clearing that up.

To be fair, the system obviously adds and subtracts fuel based on how someone told it to make the saw run. Emissions are partly the result of the tune, and I'm sure they are part of the way the thing was designed. It's just that it's not how the chip functions. The effect on emissions is secondary to making the saw run at the specified tune.

I don't know if they detect temps. Possibly via the ignition control module, but there is nothing in any of the literature on it

Latest posts

Back