Stihl Propaganda

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to chime in here to say that even my $99 8-year-old Poulan only takes a few pulls to pop, and a few pulls to start 'cold'. And 1 pull warm. Ditto for the newer Homelite. Ditto for the 30+ year old McCulloch. And ditto for the Huskys.

Anything else should be filed under 'operator error' or 'out of adjustment saw'.

Stihl by no means has a monopoly on easy-to-start saws, as many here would have you wrongly believe.

Lakeside53 said:
With Stihls, it depends on the saw, when it last ran, and to a large degree the vent system in the tank. If the saw has a neutral vent system - one that vent's both positive and negative pressure (most older systems), then you need to suck gas to the carb by engine impulse and venturi vacuum.. If the vent is negative only (make up air for loss of fuel), and it retains the positive pressure from fuel agitation, these tend to start a lot easier as the fuel is pushed up to the carb as soon as you agitate the tank.

From dead cold, the difference is 5-6 pulls verses 2-4 though... when "warm", one short pull should start them every time.

This sounds exactly like the gobbledegoop that a Stihl dealer tells you after you get your newly (and expensively) Stihl-serviced saw back from the dealer and it won't start as easily as it use to.

"It's da juxtaposition of da thingamajigger in relation to the doodad as it pertains to the whatchamacallit on da rotational obtuse perspective." "Ya see, dontcha????"

Sure as heck wish you knew more about saws Lakeside.

HAHAHHAHHA

Fred

Andy I guess SAPPY knows more then you ..LOL Sappy your starting to shine again..

BTW Andy=Lakeside53 forgot more about saws then ol-SAPPY knows period...........

coveredinsap said:
This sounds exactly like the gobbledegoop that a Stihl dealer tells you after you get your newly (and expensively) Stihl-serviced saw back from the dealer and it won't start as easily as it use to.

All I can say to you is that you really are a complete idiot. But wait, maybe you're just sick, so it wouldn't be pc to call you names. Which is it?

coveredinsap said:

"It's da juxtaposition of da thingamajigger in relation to the doodad as it pertains to the whatchamacallit on da rotational obtuse perspective." "Ya see, dontcha????"
I'm not sure Sap, but I think thats moron language. Most Stihl dealers are required to take classes and learn to speak your language so they can explain things to people like you that buy a MS 390 to mill with and use Brillo Pads for air filtration systems. I'm sure Thall and Lakeside has taken these classes.

blackoak said:
I'm not sure Sap, but I think thats moron language. Most Stihl dealers are required to take classes and learn to speak your language so they can explain things to people like you that buy a MS 390 to mill with and use Brillo Pads for air filtration systems. I'm sure Thall and Lakeside has taken these classes.

Yeah, wow...who could have known that Stihl would make such crappy substandard 'homeowner' saws. After all ....the 390, at 64cc sure qualified to run the Alaskan small log mill, as evidenced by the following information:
Log Size Engine Size
up to 18" 55cc to 67cc
18" to 36" 68cc to 85cc
36" & larger 86cc to 120cc

(Note that it doesn't say 'pro' saws only in these cc classes, and no Stihl homeowner saws in particular.)

How could I have known that the MS390 is evidently meant for primarily sitting on a shelf being looked at and polished (apparently not unlike many Stihl saws owned around here judging by the photos), as opposed to doing the work I needed it for....work that the 55cc 455 Husky Rancher had no problem doing.

How many times have we been over this before? I would think you'd have given up on it by now.

How's about I give you this though. Maybe the synthetic steel wool air filter idea should maybe only be used in a pinch when nothing else is available, and not as a permanent long-term solution.
i.e. Worse than running a factory air filter, but better than running a clogged or missing air filter.
How's that for a compromise? :)

By the way, a 'brillo pad' is steel wool with soap inside, not 'synthetic steel wool. I would think that even someone who understands "moron language" would know that.

Newfie said:
I'm surprised it took sh!twit this long to find this thread. As usual his paranoia and biases shine through.

Stihl fanboys criticizing "biases" is akin to Rush Limbaugh criticizing drug addicts.

I am glad you finaaly made a post that summed up your situation.

1. You read the supplied information.

2. You acted solely on that information as though it was nonqualified and infaliable.

3. You then told us that WHHHA I love my HUSKY!

I have told you before knowledge is a culmination of digested information balanced with reason. If you read about something today from a biased source, That has only a bastardized relationship with knowledge.

Fred

coveredinsap said:
Stihl by no means has a monopoly on easy-to-start saws, as many here would have you wrongly believe.

Nobody here thinks Stihl has a monopoly on easy to start saws! Stihl does have a trademark of easy2start though. Just do a search and see what people on AS think of easy2start.

Stihl did make a great add, and that's what this thread is about. Sure beats the crud out of the husky ride-on add where the husky guy gets the respect of the Harley guys...

coveredinsap said:
Yeah, wow...who could have known that Stihl would make such crappy substandard 'homeowner' saws. After all ....the 390, at 64cc sure qualified to run the Alaskan small log mill, as evidenced by the following information:
Log Size Engine Size
up to 18" 55cc to 67cc
18" to 36" 68cc to 85cc
36" & larger 86cc to 120cc

(Note that it doesn't say 'pro' saws only in these cc classes, and no Stihl homeowner saws in particular.)

Doesn't that just mean that you fell for the Granberg marketting? If they told people you should use a 660/880/3120 on their mill, how many do you think they'd sell?

In another thread you said "The folks at Granberg International took the time to answer every one of my stupid questions too, and that means a lot to me" - gee those guys sure earnt their money that day. You sure seem to like them a lot. I wonder how many got out of the industry after talking to you?

sawn_penn said:
Doesn't that just mean that you fell for the Granberg marketting? If they told people you should use a 660/880/3120 on their mill, how many do you think they'd sell?

In another thread you said "The folks at Granberg International took the time to answer every one of my stupid questions too, and that means a lot to me" - gee those guys sure earnt their money that day. You sure seem to like them a lot. I wonder how many got out of the industry after talking to you?

Hey, if Stihl would have been as nice as those guys we wouldn't be having this conversation. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
(I even asked them if they'd seen the 'Mythbusters' filming any episodes there at Mare Island.) :)

coveredinsap said:
Stihl fanboys criticizing "biases" is akin to Rush Limbaugh criticizing drug addicts.

Why did you assume I was referring to you?

BTW, I don't own any Stihls and Have only run one once briefly. I have a good working relationship with the local husky dealer and run Huskys. Oddly my quiver lacks a 137 and 455. Sap, you complete me.

dumba$$.

I like to stir the pot as much as the next guy when in camp, keeps stuff from sticking to the bottom. Why some must make a habit of whizzing in the fire the pot is hanging over I don't know.:bang: Best starting saw I have ever seen was a 10-10 Mac that could sit a full 24 hours and start on the first pull, this was after it had been neglected in an old barn somewhere for several years. A guy asked me to check it out, I looked it over and figured it might run, put some fresh gas in it pulled a few times and away it went. Kept the thing around for a week or so and fired it up once in awhile just to see how it would behave. My 380 Mac also starts pretty good, push the primer abit depending on when it was run last and give her a pull and keep pumping til she evens out. My fathers old 041 ain't to bad either. I've seen winners and losers from all sides of the tree. Heck if you have to pull them 6-10 times when they are cold and they run all day with no trouble it sure beats pulling a crosscut.

Stihl Proaganda

I am getting a Stihl because Chuck Leavell said so. "Nothing compares to playing rock'n'roll. But when it comes to forestry management,I don't play."

seriously

coveredinsap said:

I don't think anyone here said ONLY Stihl had easy to start saws. As I read it there were all sorts of saws listed.
Finnbear

what brand was that saw?

Has anyone figured out the make/model of that saw?
Love the commercial.

Stihl's are harder to start when cold.
I'm confident in my stihluality to admit that.
It's that their parts schematics don't change with all those needed redesigns that you find in other brands.

Then again, if someone was going to give me a 266xp I'd whimper a nice polite thank you.

What I'm really concerned about is OSHA's role in all of this.
Was that commercial filmed in the US and if so, what are they going to do about drop starting?
Gruesome serial killers aren't above the law. They need to set the saw down, engage the chain brake ......

Back