Stihl Propaganda

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finnbear said:
I don't think anyone here said ONLY Stihl had easy to start saws. As I read it there were all sorts of saws listed.
Finnbear

Finnbear, you can't possibly understand since your outlook isn't clouded with paranoia and distrust.:hmm3grin2orange:

MY 371 takes about 10 pulls to make it crack and then a couple more with the choke off. It has decomp, when its hot it starts with one pull, maybe there is a problem with it but I don't care, some start easy, some are hard to start, like women, as long as they cut or screw, big freakin deal!!!!! Sappy, think you could drop start a 2100 on a cold day buddy? Do you know what a 2100 is? ever ran one, or something like it? Today a car went off the road and sheared off a pole, lights out, I checked it out, I know there is no backfeed so I went out and fell a few alders that could have smacked the line. Thats using your head, making hay while the sun shines, Sap, heres the clue for you, give it up, your done.

clearance: did you happen to do voltage checks to verify no backfeed? ground the lines? hot stick it? glove it? i happen to be a subscriber to many lineman publications and read about plenty of deaths and accidents from assuming such things. you might KNOW its dead.. but is it going to stay dead?
is it still dead? those reclosers have a bite.

NWCS said:
clearance: did you happen to do voltage checks to verify no backfeed? ground the lines? hot stick it? glove it? i happen to be a subscriber to many lineman publications and read about plenty of deaths and accidents from assuming such things. you might KNOW its dead.. but is it going to stay dead?
is it still dead? those reclosers have a bite.
Thanks for your concern, the line is fed from one end only from a diesel generating plant. There are no other cicuits to backfeed, although in order to be safe, the line should always be grounded on both sides of the work, from the conduction circuits to the neutral. I saw the guys at the scene, they hadn't even got the new pole off the truck yet, I cut the trees all down in less than one hour after this. I had previously fell a bunch of trees in the same spot, these ones looked like they could hit the line, not rip it down but slap the phases together. So, I dumped them, in order to follow the absolute letter of the law what I did was wrong, having not recieved and signed for a protection extension from a lineman (powerline technician). The line is on a recloser, when guys are working around power here they have an assurance of no reclose permit, if it doesn't get you the first time you are ok cause it kicks for good, until they find out what happened. You are absolutely right though, many have been fried cause they "thought".

Mike Barcaskey said:
propaganda is right. even closer to BS
I have never had a Stihl saw that would start on less than 6 pulls cold.
Just me or is that the way it is?

Buy a Husky - problem solved...

Back to the problem of ID'ing the saw...

The hand guard looks very Echo-ish to me. It's a pretty boxy top handle.

Any ideas? (It is possible that it isn't a real saw - just a prop designed to stop other saw makers from sending their lawyers over...)

pbtree

Problem then transfers to vapor locking arena if Husky is the counter.

Huskies use a solid piece between the carb and cylinder. This stays warmer and delays cold starting problems.

Makes for an overheating problem.

Stihl utilizes a more flexible piece to moderate the heat build-up.

If you're not into running in warmer weather, go Huskies. If you look at the fire crews, note the high percentage of Stihls over Husqvarna.

Just one piece of the puzzle.

Just beating a dead horse I know, but here goes. 3 stihls at home, 8 at work. All burp at a maximum of 3 pulls, running by 5 MAX. EXCEPT 2 038 mags at work. Pain in the butt to start first time in a day, good after that. ALL of them start 1 pull warm.

clearance said:
Sappy, think you could drop start a 2100 on a cold day buddy? Do you know what a 2100 is? ever ran one, or something like it?

You are the rightest guy with that post. Those 2100s can be hard on the fingers. I am assuming Husky, the Homelites are not far behind though.

Fred

Back to the problem of ID'ing the saw...

Hmm, was this the same saw used in the movies, or is it primarily for the commercial? Chrome bar makes it look a little cheesy.......

smokechase II said:
If you're not into running in warmer weather, go Huskies. If you look at the fire crews, note the high percentage of Stihls over Husqvarna.

Down here, I've never seen anything but Stihl on the fireground.

But back to the saw in the advert... As I said, the handguard looks very echo to me. The clutch cover is also viable shape wise for an echo, but I can't find this model anywhere. Body shape wise the saw is wrong for echo, front on it looks like a husky, and then there is that weird "air filter?" at the back.

Hmmm...

Maybe I should ring Stihl and pretend to be a lawyer, complaining about them using my product XYZ in the add... Maybe they'll say "No, that's not an XYZ, it's a ......" :)

saw make and model

To avoid a law suit and/or bad press.
I would guess that stihl put together an outer composite saw that didn't fit any model.

At this point some Husky disciple will now ask where stihl got all that expertise in designing a saw that wouldn't start.

Then some stihl-a-holic will state that it came from stihls studying of 'other' brands.

And some poor homelite guy will come in from the cold and .....

smokechase II said:
To avoid a law suit and/or bad press.
I would guess that stihl put together an outer composite saw that didn't fit any model.

At this point some Husky disciple will now ask where stihl got all that expertise in designing a saw that wouldn't start.

Then some stihl-a-holic will state that it came from stihls studying of 'other' brands.

And some poor homelite guy will come in from the cold and .....

Maybe 'Sap knows what it is - seems to know everything else.....:)
Finnbear

Latest posts

Back