Still too warm to cut, but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I got home last night there was a deputy sheriff sittin' about 200 yards from my driveway, emergency lights on. One of the standing-dead elms from the woodlot had blown down in yesterday's wind, completely blocking the road. I parked the work van, opened a Bud, and walk down to talk with him... told me he'd called the County Engineer and they were sending someone out to clean it up.

So I asked him... what if I bring my pickup down, hook on to it, and drag it up in the yard?? (From first glance it appears to be Red Elm.) He says it has to come off the road, and if I wanna' have a go at it, he'll run traffic interference. Fifteen minutes later the tree is laying in the yard... and so is a smaller one I pulled down trying to get the first one moving the right direction.

It was friggin' 85° last night and not gonna' be any cooler tonight... I ain't making firewood when it's over 80°... I ain't gonna' do it... I ain't. C'mon... 85° in mid September... what's this world coming to anyway?? After last night I'm in the mood to start doing some firewood work... but I ain't gonna' do it during mid-summer temps.

When I got home last night there was a deputy sheriff sittin' about 200 yards from my driveway, emergency lights on. One of the standing-dead elms from the woodlot had blown down in yesterday's wind, completely blocking the road. I parked the work van, opened a Bud, and walk down to talk with him... told me he'd called the County Engineer and they were sending someone out to clean it up.

So I asked him... what if I bring my pickup down, hook on to it, and drag it up in the yard?? (From first glance it appears to be Red Elm.) He says it has to come off the road, and if I wanna' have a go at it, he'll run traffic interference. Fifteen minutes later the tree is laying in the yard... and so is a smaller one I pulled down trying to get the first one moving the right direction.

It was friggin' 85° last night and not gonna' be any cooler tonight... I ain't making firewood when it's over 80°... I ain't gonna' do it... I ain't. C'mon... 85° in mid September... what's this world coming to anyway?? After last night I'm in the mood to start doing some firewood work... but I ain't gonna' do it during mid-summer temps.
you needin a pep talk??? I was doing it at the start of spring,,when we had those few hots days!! work for 1/2 hr,,take 5 min break. work nother 1/2 hr,,go into air cond't,,and cool down for 1/2 hour,,then back out to the grind again.............did that for a week straight,,till the pile was done!!!

@Whitespider I know what you mean. At 3 this afternoon temp was 82 with rising humidity. Isn't it supposed to be cooling off a bit?

Except for a couple of days we've been running 15-20° above "average" all this month.
I'm ready for cool, dry September weather... I ain't started a single fall chore or project yet.
Ain't cut a single stick of firewood since April (maybe it was May).
And I'm really gettin' bored with the Politics Forum :D

Except for a couple of days we've been running 15-20° above "average" all this month.
I'm ready for cool, dry September weather... I ain't started a single fall chore or project yet.
Ain't cut a single stick of firewood since April (maybe it was May).
And I'm really gettin' bored with the Politics Forum :D

Eff the poly forum. I tried to get into a couple threads but quickly learned just agreeing on fundamentals wasn't enough for some of those twits. When honest, common sense items are turned away or out right ignored I'm done. No time......

The humidity finally relented a bit the past week and temps are staying below 80 daytime and 60 at night. I started some fall yard prep and swept the chimney over the last couple days. Inspected some of the stacks for readiness since I'm only going into season three of burning and still have a lot to learn. The good news is I have 2 1/2 cord of two year CSS oak to burn through the coldest months this year. Finally....

Tried a load last weekend. NOPE. Got about a 1/2 load and opted to return home and crack some cold ones. Need the low 60's before I get into it.

I have cut a bit the last couple weeks. Really humid no fun. That changes Friday into the 60's we go. Plan to hit it hard this weekend.

Brian

Cool story bra.

You walked up to a cop with an open beer & offered to drive your vehicle over to help move a tree? That ain't the way i scrounge man, but glad you're still here to post about it.

Wuss'es, I split and stacked all my wood back in July.

A couple years back i developed a routine of either cutting, splitting, stacking, or scrounging at least 15 minutes a day, all summer long. It was so effective that i got REDICULOUSLY overstocked and had to give a lot away so i could have room to scrounge more. I don't have unlimited room like some people here. View attachment 447686

A couple years back i developed a routine of either cutting, splitting, stacking, or scrounging at least 15 minutes a day, all summer long. It was so effective that i got REDICULOUSLY overstocked and had to give a lot away so i could have room to scrounge more. I don't have unlimited room like some people here. View attachment 447686

Sounds effective but incredibly inefficient. My time pays way more than that....

Sounds effective but incredibly inefficient. My time pays way more than that....

Keep in mind i was already around 2 years ahead when implenting the 15 min a day program. The 15 min a day was instituted to make progress during the worst of the summer on an abundance of free logs i had sitting in my yard taking up room. Describe how "your time pays more than that" and maybe the picture will be clearer. I split exclusively with an X27, and give lots away to friends, neighbors. As you said yourself, it is effective.

You walked up to a cop with an open beer & offered to drive your vehicle over to help move a tree? That ain't the way i scrounge man, but glad you're still here to post about it.
Aint nothing illegal about walking with a beer, or driving a pickup after drinking one beer. Plus he lives in Iowa.....I'm guessing a Deputy in Iowa is probably a pretty laid back and common sense individual.

Wuss'es, I split and stacked all my wood back in July.
Day after I got my new splitter I was out cutting and splitting a load. Was 89 and about 80%+ humidity at about 1pm when I was done. Just bring a fan to stand in front of and keep going.

Latest posts

Back