Stock Appearing Race Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.

being watched
Reaction score
I put two race saws on the trading post.

One is a 61 Husky built by Harry Boedecker and the second is a 272 built by Ace Morgan.

Maybe I can get some discussion going by talking about them as the main topic.

Fred

Ya. I need to post a few, but The really look pretty much stock.

If I still have the 61 in a couple of weeks....... I'll pull the cylinder off to show the full circle crank.

Fred

Yeh, I'd like to see that 61 as well.

I have one and I am wanting to do some mods to it. Probably just simple mods for now. Any suggestions, it will continue to be a work saw.

LAZER

Hi Fred, what kind of times would they run in 8x8?

I don't get into that because of disparity, but it's holds it's own. With the right chain it is a contender for a first place ribbon.

I'll go into a little of detail about some of the work that has been done to this saw.

-- the cylinder has been bored out to accomodate an iron sleeve. Which means you can change tranfers configuration to anything you can imagine while supporting the piston.

-- cylinder was bored to minimum piston to cylinder clearance. Minimum roundness tolerances and correct taper.

--Full circle crank. Nuff said.

Fred

I don't get into that because of disparity, but it's holds it's own. With the right chain it is a contender for a first place ribbon.

Fred

Sorry, no interest here. Won't take a chance on them being slower than the saws I already have.

Last edited:
Sorry, no interest here. Won't take a chance on them being slower than the saws I already have.

Ok. I didn't take it as you shopping. Seriously, a lot of fighting has been over times. I really hope to sell it to someone that can make it to a show and see it run or someone that can run it against a saw they know. Sorry if I came off as a smart azz about it. It's twin brother has beat my 361 once and I beat it once.

This is my problem. I want to see it go far away so I don't have to run against it, but want the person to be able to see it run before they buy it.

BTW I would love to run it against your 357. Just not in the cards.

Fred

so what was done to the 272? these are both gas muffler saws correct?

are the numbers similar between the saws and what numbers are in them now?

Its amazing to hear the kind of things that are done to a saw that I have never thought of.

What do you think you learned from each of these saws that helped you get to the knowledge level you are at today?

David

i would like to know more about the 272. thought about
building one. is it possible to use 288 crank and cylinder
or is that alot of machine work and special built cranks?
BTW who builds cranks,full circle and the like??:chainsawguy:

so what was done to the 272? these are both gas muffler saws correct?

are the numbers similar between the saws and what numbers are in them now?

Its amazing to hear the kind of things that are done to a saw that I have never thought of.

What do you think you learned from each of these saws that helped you get to the knowledge level you are at today?

David

The 61 runs 120 Alky/Nitro.

They are both muffler saws. The porting on the 61 could take a pipe, but where could you run it?

The 272 was the saw that showed me you could open the crankcase to atmosperic pressure when the piston is at TDC. ie the dimple in the bottom of the exhaust port. It has unreal compression and the carb has been bored and polished.

The 61 is probably worth buying just for the info inside it.

The 272 is a torque monster that was built for big wood OR a big gear. It has a much lower exhaust port than the 61, which is a screamer. As to specific numbers.......... I didn't build them so I won't tell them.

Fred

A 281 and a 272 are the same bore. 288/281 crank is 2mm longer throw. 288 cylinder is 2mm bigger bore.

It would be easier to just stroke the 272 crank. A few bike perfomance places will do it. You just have to ask and open the wallet. WIDE.

Think about this though. It would cost a thousand dollars to build a stock 288 on a 272 chasis. Why not just build a 288?

If you are asking if the 272 is orginal bore and stroke, the answer is yes. I don't have the money to be too creative or buy saws that are.

Fred

Thanks Fred,

I completely understand about the numbers and the respect that you convey for the builders.

So how much compression do the saws have? one or two piece heads? The 272 still has the original carb? Now Ace Morgan was a west coast guy so that would make sense that it would be built for torque. Do you have an 8 pin on there now? what kind of revs do these saws run both in the wood and at wot?

I hope this is enough questions to spark some convo.

Buck

Now why would you want to put a 288 top end and crank in a 272 chassis? Build a 181 or 281 and play fair and square.

Well to be fair,
in the same passage that you quoted he does mention fullcircle cranks so I would assume he is looking at the tighter crankcase. I can also see the benefit of racing with a lighter chassis for the handling characteristics. However I would only think of this if it was run in the proper displacement class, if someone has to cheat than they have already lost!

buck

Thanks Fred,

I completely understand about the numbers and the respect that you convey for the builders.

So how much compression do the saws have? one or two piece heads? The 272 still has the original carb? Now Ace Morgan was a west coast guy so that would make sense that it would be built for torque. Do you have an 8 pin on there now? what kind of revs do these saws run both in the wood and at wot?

I hope this is enough questions to spark some convo.

Buck

Both have 1 piece heads, but some custom machine work has been done.

The 272 has way over 200 psi. The 61 is in the neighborhood.

Harry has always been on the edge with his saws. They have won alot of shows. It seems like I am throwing out a new name here. When I thought everyone knew who he is.

Fred

Fred - Wow, I didn't know you had such an assortment of saws from various builders. Your 361 was built by someone else right? How come your getting rid of the 61 and 272?

Both have 1 piece heads, but some custom machine work has been done.

The 272 has way over 200 psi. The 61 is in the neighborhood.

Harry has always been on the edge with his saws. They have won alot of shows. It seems like I am throwing out a new name here. When I thought everyone knew who he is.

Fred

I had my hands on one of Boedeckers bikesaws (a 250 elsnore) he built when I was probably 10. Lots of nice work done to it including a custom built head. He is a long time proven race builder.

Fred - Wow, I didn't know you had such an assortment of saws from various builders. Your 361 was built by someone else right? How come your getting rid of the 61 and 272?

It felt so much better when you kept your head out of my azz. Why don't you get get a life or ****. Your choice.

Fred

Latest posts

Back