Strunk Electric Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd sure want to check from the wiring to the frame for any conductivity.
Over time, oil and grease tend to creep or wick into areas where it could provide a current path to that metal frame.

Check the trigger itself and BOTH sides of the power cord to see if any manor of hookup or switch clicking shows any continuity to the body.

I'd also, gently, open it up and look at all of the insulation.
Varnished wires and that old woven sleeve/tube insulation that may have gone brittle and be just a little way from crumbling and giving you a zap.
Old wires can be rubber insulated, which also dry rots and crumbles away, So give them a good exam.

Don't forget about the brushes and commutator.
Weak brush springs lead to arcing and burning of the commutator.
The heat can un-solder the segments of it (not good).

115 volts x 26 amps = 2990 watts.
That sucker just might have a little torque to it.

If it runs, a video would be cool to see.

Household voltage is normally 110-115 volt,so thats ok,if you have 25 or 30 amp breaker it should handle 26 amps. You should be able to run it...
It's a pretty rare house that has breakers/fuses bigger than 20a on a 110v circuit. I've only seen 30a/110v breakers and the larger wire needed for that a few times....usually for someone who wanted provisions to plug in an RV with A/C.

I cannot find anything other than this on this saw: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...81833f421e9d60ac88256d060054c292?OpenDocument

Not even another photo or mention!

Would any know some more information about it? I am puzzled by the 26amps at 115v...that is definitely not something I can run off a normal plug in my garage.

Thank you!View attachment 647749 View attachment 647750
Strunk made a variety of outdoor power equipment, but by far their most popular was their Mini Dozer. You sat on top of this tracked body with two levers for steering and a big front blade, powered by a 8 hp Briggs I believe. I saw one sell at auction not long ago with 4 attachments. Strunk sold these saws and dozers from advertisements in the back of magazines like Popular Mechanics

Also it should have 3 pronged plug and 3 wire cord,it should be inspected closely and the ground wire must be connected well in the saw for outside(rain!) use. I would install a new heavy duty cord if it's old and you wanted to use it.
Be nice to get it running.
In the North some people used to put vegetable oil in an electric saw and use it to do the bucking up of their moose.One day I was filling in for a friend at the shop he worked at,and the boss came up to me and told me to clean a saw a guy had been using to cut up chickens(?),it smelled horrible and I refused so he said "That's ok my wife will do it." Later she came,took the chain cover off and jumped back,"There's maggots in it!" What an ass,he made his wife gag and clean it...

I still don't understand why an electric chainsaw would have a clutch...

Safety. If that thing really is a 3kw motor you could cut right through 4 pairs of chaps and your leg without stalling it. It's strange to see in an older tool like that inflated numbers for current and power though its common these days to see a 1.5hp tool that's only rated to pull 3 amps. Id just try it in a 20 amp socket and if it doesn't trip the breaker you won't burn your house down. That motor only really looks like a half hp, 3hp tops.

Another thought about clutches on electric tools.
Have you ever noticed the Craigslist adds for electric saws that "only need the gear that pulls the chain" ?
Stripped drive line parts for , many, electric yard tools, seem to made from unobtainium.

A clutch just takes a lot of shock loading and stall loads off of the tool and improves the life span.

I own a Stunk electric chainsaw that I would like to sell. Anyone have an idea what one would be worth?

Attachments

• IMG_155096339885F.jpg
    IMG_155096339885F.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back