suggestions on glasses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So, the face shield, beyond the obvious fashion shortfalls, also has functional shortfalls. I'm interested in giving glasses another shot.

The fog, and the sweat drips falling on them or running down them always made me go back to the face screen. After years of the screen, I'm too used to looking right at what I'm doing to go with nothing, and, it is not that smart....

So, any good suggestions? Thanks so much

I wear a yellow pair of safety glasses most of the time, unless it's really sunny - but i don't work in clearcuts or well spaced forests.

They don't fog too bad. From tractor supply i think.

Got several pair laying around.

Clear lenses for cloudy days.

Hell now that I read my post, not sure if I was much help :laugh:

Bugz. Except sometimes you'll thwap your nose when you let go while putting them on and that hurts. :cry:

For humor, one waggles them like ski goggles before not thwapping them in place. This only works around people who have skied.

Seriously, I don't know whether you can see well enough out of them for real falling. They make things a little bit darker. But I do see a few real fallers wearing the ones without the elastic. There's a glasses style of mesh too.

I'd like them better if they came in different colors. :)

Bugz. Except sometimes you'll thwap your nose when you let go while putting them on and that hurts. :cry:

For humor, one waggles them like ski goggles before not thwapping them in place. This only works around people who have skied.

Seriously, I don't know whether you can see well enough out of them for real falling. They make things a little bit darker. But I do see a few real fallers wearing the ones without the elastic. There's a glasses style of mesh too.

+1 on Bugz

I have gotten good milage outta Oakley M frames.
They ain't cheap though, and occaisionally the sweat bead on the inside of the lens happens.

The best thing is that they vent well enough not to fog up when just about all the others will, and have the side coverage to keep the dust and chips mostly at bay when the wind is swirling.

Next to the M frames I have had good luck with "Nebo" safety glasses.
Google them on the web and look for the style that is similar to the M frame Oakley sweep lens. They are cheap enough to not cry when they get busticated, but vent well and fit the bill for grinding and such.

I tried a pair of the Army issued Gargoyles with the sweat bar on the frame and they drove me frickin NUTS with the fogging up. No sweat dripping in the lens but the darn things would fog like mad in the cold.
I gave 'em to some Kid at the range one afternoon cuz his dad didn't have eyepro for him, and I didn't need to be fog blind half the time.

I can't wear the bugz... they give me a headache for some reason lol!

Good luck on the quest.
I must have gone through a dozen different brands of eyepro before just going back to the M frames.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I use safety glasses from Home Depot. Mirrored / tinted / yellow / clear- lenses are polycarbonate. Lots of the wrap around style - Oakley type. I buy a couple at a time b/c they are relatively cheap - $10-$20.

Try the husqvarna ones sold at TSC and Lowe's. I wear them as shades and while cutting. They are the wrap-around style. Very comfortable. $10.

Waylan

BUGZ ARE THE WAY TO GO!! they come in different mesh sizes for how sensitive you feel your eyes are....try wesspur they had 'em last time i needed some. i know i can never wear glasses when clearing land 'cause i fog up any glasses i ever use and if you use earmuff style hearing protection the strap is more comfortable than plastic between your ear and head. when not in use i just slide them down around my neck and never lose them...just my couple of cents.

I have problems with glasses, for the fog and sweat. flip down screen has it's problems too, and not the best eye protection. Thinking of changing out the screen to a plexi style shield, and cutting away the lower third or so. Sounds crazy, but it just might work.

I wear different glasses, as others have stated, depending on the lighting. For tints, I like Nemesis, or Stihl TimberSports. For hazy/overcast days, I have Stihl TimberSports yellow/amber lenses, which make it look brighter than it is. Find a style that doesn't sit too close to your eyes, but still has good wrap-around protection, and they shouldn't fog on you.

I have problems with glasses, for the fog and sweat. flip down screen has it's problems too, and not the best eye protection. Thinking of changing out the screen to a plexi style shield, and cutting away the lower third or so. Sounds crazy, but it just might work.

This is not as crazy as it may sound. I have poly shields in full, and in half face coverage. Both are unmodified, and snap into hardhad the same as any other shield.

I usually wear safety glasses that I got from J.Thomas, good cheap ones that aren't real dark. Wear stihl radio phones so need thin frames with them. Also have stihl safety glasses but the frames are too thick and the black ear pieces fall off. Went 4 wheeling a few weeks ago and didn't wear my glasses, had my half face helment on though. I decided a little 1 1/4" branch on the trail needed to be removed. I tried to break it across another small tree, a 12' sliver broke off and hit me in the nose, then lucky for me the rest of the branch broke and the sharp end raked me across from eye to eye.
PS the healing scar on my forehead was from a sheet of plywood a few ago, wrong place wrong time again.

I usually wear safety glasses that I got from J.Thomas, good cheap ones that aren't real dark. Wear stihl radio phones so need thin frames with them. Also have stihl safety glasses but the frames are too thick and the black ear pieces fall off. Went 4 wheeling a few weeks ago and didn't wear my glasses, had my half face helment on though. I decided a little 1 1/4" branch on the trail needed to be removed. I tried to break it across another small tree, a 12' sliver broke off and hit me in the nose, then lucky for me the rest of the branch broke and the sharp end raked me across from eye to eye.
PS the healing scar on my forehead was from a sheet of plywood a few ago, wrong place wrong time again.

OUCH! Glad it wasn't worse, though.

Yeah it was a real close call. Tore the tear duct and I have a scar flap of skin on the right side that will take a bit of getting used to. Pretty sure I broke a cheek bone too but was tired of my wife ragging me so I never said anything.

I know that feeling. Easier to deal with the pain until it heals on it own, than listen to all their "I told you so's!" Let alone paying the Hospital bill!!

Pretty sure I broke a cheek bone too but was tired of my wife ragging me so I never said anything.

Thats funny cause I saw the picture and thought "boy tharts a tough onoe to bring home to the wife" My glasses question came from the most recent tiome when i just hapened to have a little piecce of #### twig on some brush go straight into my eye as I turned to go from one spot to another between trees, screen up, scratched it pretty good. I hate coming home with a visible injury, gets the "why do you have to do this" questions going.

Thanks for the responses.

Full wraps just fog up with any work.
Look for open style wraps light weight and best if all plastic frame to take the bends dished out.
See that they can push up and rest on ya fore head or hook easy in shirt and don't have arms that will conflict with earmuffs eg become a pain on ya temple sides. I swear by light brown Polaroid lens as best for tree work. Lets you see in motley shade whilst helping cut the glare.
An up shot of brown Polaroid is they have powers beyond normal lens. Chlorophyll fluorescence is a science tested and brown Polaroid seem the work this allowing the user to pick unhealthy tree foliage out from other that may to naked eye be similar. I can spot a turf disease or a ill tree from a mile with these as they color up different.

http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/51/345/659

These just look too weird but it tells the story, brown works just a well.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=2058

.:dizzy::):agree2: Ya , Hammer . Bugz . . They come in 3 different mesh sizes . I find the 20 mesh it the best combo . the 30 is for ultimate protection and it works fine . the 10 mesh is too open for me . Sitka Spruce needles can get into the mesh with the 10 s . I was cutting with the 20 mesh yesterday and they are not as dark as the 30 mesh but still gave GREAT protection ........ Slowp is 100% right ... you pull them away from your face and turn loose of them just once and that will be the last time you do that ... There is a goggle that has a screen that I like alot .but the screen isn,t stainless steel and they rust up pretty fast ... . Bugz allow suprisingly good side visibility also ..

I think mine are Smith Prophets, got em 1/2 off, which sort of justifies woods use. Haven't gotten many chips in my eyes though, and they don't fog too bad. Nice thing is you can buy new lenses that pop in when you wreck em using gas to clean the pitch off - Sam

Latest posts

Back