Suitable Stihl 076 Replacement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justlearning

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
-first-time poster-

I'm currently doing all my cutting/bucking with either an 076 or a MS 290. While both are great saws, ideally I'd like to find a Stihl professional level saw that could replace both in the majority of cutting situations I encounter (I'll still keep the 076 around for the really big jobs, I imagine).

My dealer steered me towards an MS 441 but before I plunk down $800 I'm hoping some of you can offer your advice/ share your experiences about this saw or others in the Stihl lineup.

I cut a lot of hardwoods (locust, ash, and oak predominantly), and will occasionally need to pull a 32" bar. Most of the time I'd like to mount a 20" bar.

Having a 5+ hp saw that is light enough for general duty woodcutting would be a dream. Lower vibration levels than the 076 wouldn't hurt either!

Thanks in advance! :greenchainsaw:

-first-time poster-

I'm currently doing all my cutting/bucking with either an 076 or a MS 290. While both are great saws, ideally I'd like to find a Stihl professional level saw that could replace both in the majority of cutting situations I encounter (I'll still keep the 076 around for the really big jobs, I imagine).

My dealer steered me towards an MS 441 but before I plunk down $800 I'm hoping some of you can offer your advice/ share your experiences about this saw or others in the Stihl lineup.

I cut a lot of hardwoods (locust, ash, and oak predominantly), and will occasionally need to pull a 32" bar. Most of the time I'd like to mount a 20" bar.

Having a 5+ hp saw that is light enough for general duty woodcutting would be a dream. Lower vibration levels than the 076 wouldn't hurt either!

Thanks in advance! :greenchainsaw:

where are you located? are you close to me? wanna test-drive a 066/660? also a 441 can pull a 32''... and last but not least WELCOME TO AS!!!

361 for a 20" bar. If you're going to keep to the 076 for the really big stuff, I don't think there's a need to go bigger than the 361. But if you decide it's not enough power, I'd lean towards the 460 over the 441. More power, same weight. All are great saws. Go to your dealer and try them out. Pick based on which feels most comfortable to use.

I hope that was helpful.

:cheers:

There isn't really any comparable saw to an 076 now. Only the 880 could match in grunt and it's $1500.

The 441 is a really nice saw. But it doesn't have near the grunt of the 076. It's a ton lighter, faster, smoother and easier on fuel, but it won't feel anything like the 076 in the cut for torque.

Honestly, I'd suggest a 660 if you want a new saw.

Edit: If you are keeping the 076 then a 70cc saw like a 441 will be great.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info!

For Stihlboy, I live near Defiance, OH. I'd love to take a test drive of the saws if you're serious!

If the 441 won't match my needs in larger timber, perhaps money would be better spent on a MS 361 and tuning up my 076?

Do any of you have experince with the C-B version (tool-free tensioner)?

Also, would the 361 pull a sharp chain through something like oak with a 20" bar? 25"?

I cut wood for 3 households to use as primary heating in winter, so I am concerned about the speed with which I can buck. Would a 441 be noticeably faster than the 361 C-B in, say, 18" hardwood logs?

I really appreciate all the help!

I have never run a 441. The 361 I have used alot in oak with an 18" bar and I can dog it in and not slow her down. In fact a 361 will be my next saw I purchase for myself. My father in law has the one I have been running.:cheers:

Thanks for all the great info!

For Stihlboy, I live near Defiance, OH. I'd love to take a test drive of the saws if you're serious!

If the 441 won't match my needs in larger timber, perhaps money would be better spent on a MS 361 and tuning up my 076?

Do any of you have experince with the C-B version (tool-free tensioner)?

Also, would the 361 pull a sharp chain through something like oak with a 20" bar? 25"?

I cut wood for 3 households to use as primary heating in winter, so I am concerned about the speed with which I can buck. Would a 441 be noticeably faster than the 361 C-B in, say, 18" hardwood logs?

I really appreciate all the help!

A 361 would be stepping on your 029's toes, a lot!

But they have been known to cure cancer, gout, and came close to being nomanated for the Nobel Peace Prize for making there own fuel and oil as they cut. But besides that.

A one saw plan would be the 441 your thinking of, it would be heavy in the sticks, but light in the stump.

Really you have your own answer with the 361, you could have the healthiest 029 in the world, and you would be surprised how much the 361 will dwarf it.

Give the 076 a good face-lift and maybe sell a few cords next year buy a good MS-660 and people here will be wanting to know if you have dogs that bite?

Welcome to the site! :cheers:

I have to jump in and suggest the MS460. I have both the MS460 & MS361, the 361 is nice, but the 460 will defenitely cut quite a bit faster. I think your 076, MS460 & 029 woul be a good trio !!

attachment.php

Your dealer is right. A 70cc class saw sounds perfect for you. I haven't run the 361, but I have an 034 which is the previous generation saw in that size and if you've run a big saw, the 60cc won't be satisfactory. For an extra pound or two, you get a hell of a lot more capable and versatile saw in the 70cc range.

Latest posts

Back