• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Super lightweight Rear-Handle Saw (i.e. MS192)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomix8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, thanks for looking. As you can see from my post count, I'm new here, but have been reading a ton.

Back story, skip if you like
I'm not entirely new to saws, but am cutting more seriously now that I'm heating with cord wood in addition to wood pellets. I'm trying to get more out of a tree and think a limbing saw is the way to do it. Main saw is a Stihl 034. Weight was a consideration when buying the 034 and it handles well. That said, I do trail blazing and hiking up plenty of mountains as well, so every ounce matters. The 11+ lbs of 034 really starts to weight down

What I'm looking for
  • I'm open to any brand,
  • I am trying to maximize power to weight, but also keep weight in the 7 pound and under class. Ok, possible exceptions if it's 8 lbs and makes insane hp...
  • Want rear handle for safety and because I barely climb,
  • Short bar-12" preferred
  • Trying to stay on a budget, $250 tops lets say,
  • Seems to narrow my field to a Stihl 192 rear handle, maybe a Dolmar or an Echo model I haven't quite found yet. 009/017/18, MS170/180 are nice but a little on the heavy side.
  • MS150 would be perfect but is about twice what I'd like to spend for something I may drop down a mountainside.
What do you have?

Thanks for your time,
Dave in Annapolis

How many helium balloons does it take to get that to under 8 lbs?:eek:

Rats! This might take a day? This is a pic without the wheels ( had them off for balancing) it falls in the 16# range if you pick it up, but figure 7.5 towed.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 045 super (1).JPG
    045 super (1).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 27
Does Maryland even have mountains?
Heh, I woke up thinking that someone would bust my chops on that. Certainly just hills until you get about a 100 miles inland. Will primarily be cutting trail in West VA if that helps!

Dolmar 421 looks nice, but at 10.8 lbs it's not even 10% lighter than my 034 while making what appears to be less power.

I like the 020AV. They cut about the same speed as a MS 192 T C-E, but are a much higher quality piece. Look here jack, it even says professional right on it.

Appreciate the search, but that's top handle -- have seen lots of top handle 192's locally...rear handles seem tough.

I may end up buying one on eBay, but was hoping to give a forum member my business if they had something suitable!

Love the old 020 style, but it seems like a ~10 pounder as well, documentation seems scant going back that far and for something made for 25 years! 10 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but once you start doing the percentage differences, it seems huge over a MS150, 192 rear handle, etc. etc.

Guess that I'm going to have to back out of the 045 super offer, I left it out last night and someone stole the wheels.
Darn, I had a nice set of Toro commercial wheels, ball bearings and all, set to go.

Latest posts

Back