Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least it's heavy iron......6011 territory!!!!

How ya been Unc? Did you finally get fully retired?????
27618194-F889-4ACE-B837-E35A5F182A12.jpeg39E4C244-52CA-4255-A5CD-214CAA47CD3E.jpeg6F00EE3E-9CE6-4B35-AAF2-52BB7377519E.jpeg
Not really heavy iron......Nissan.......lol
Not retiring yet. My buddy that runs my machine is going through months of chemo.
They filled his job ....company rules.........but can’t fill mine till I retire. Company rules.
He gets a clean bill of health and I retire.
They post the job......he is first in line.......company rules

Now it will lift the rear tires off the ground when we use The lift.......didn’t the first time.
It folded.
It was funny
Speaking of picking tires off the ground.......Back when I was running my sawmill full time a friend showed up wanting me to resaw some spruce 10 X10's he had down to 7" X 9" to replace some sills in his old post and beam farmhouse. I had three 16 foot 12 X12" pine timbers and 2500 bft of 16' pine boards to get down to my house but my truck was out of commission so we made a deal I'd resaw for him and he'd truck for me. He had a dual wheel one ton Toyota with 10' body. So on a beautiful Saturday morning we started loading boards onto the 'Yota, chatting away and watching the rear springs and tyres. We got about 1300 bft on and decided we had to make two trips anyway so we quit loading and walked to the front to get in when we noticed both front wheels (which we had paid no attention to) were two feet off the ground!!!!! We off loaded 300 bft and got the wheels back on the ground and then off loaded another 300 bft to assure we had steerage!!!!

So........came across this the other day in the shop. Guys from my childhood. My grandfather, my parents/me and two uncles and their familys as well as Gooden were the inhabitants of Head Harbor back then...mid 50's. Knew Goodin well, he was still drinking and going to town dances in the early 70's....he was in his late 90's then. Tough old coot.!!! This pic must have been taken around 1960.....his boat, grounded out in the background, has a tall "ship to shore" radio antennae......not everyone had them back then. His sternman, Minot and his wife were good friends with my parents and I spent many winter days pestering him in his shop.......he taught me how to tie a bowline and had endless patience I think looking back now.

IMG_1868.jpgIMG_1869.jpg

Well now.......24 pages down since anyone has been in here.......that is certainly a record!!!!
In Sept now.......new shoulder has settled in pretty good...not 100% yet but getting better all the tyme.
Will be trying out some red saws in the next few weeks......need to get back down in the woodlot and clean up a large number of blow downs and standing dead. Probably around 3-4 cord at least...perhaps more. Be a good workout for both me and a few saws.......I certainly need to build back some muscles!!!!

I am not doing anything worth posting about these days, this weekend I did paddle a kayak up through a wilderness lake, 3 miles up and 3 back, arms are a bit sore though.
Yeah I been pretty slack this summer too. Gonna be a crazy busy fall....gotta go rent a 55 ft tow behind man lift tomorrow. Gotta tear the upper roof off and get it ready for new standing seam. Had a leak appear last rain storm right over the bath tub.....got up on the roof and it was all done!!! Three tab shingles all gone between the tabs...patched it up with a couple tubes of monkey dung just to keep the water out......but no putting it off any longer. I am so done with asphalt roofing!! I will also have to scape and paint all the trim on the house two coats too. Also got some large, dead oak limbs that need pruning over the parking area. Gonna rent it for a month...if I have any time left at the end I might take it over to the shop and take down most of those big spruce on the north side of the shop.....they been failing, two or three a year for the last few years....tyme make them all go away!!! Tall trees and a tight area between the shop and power lines on two sides.......take them down in two-tree pieces.....

Back