Sustainable logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
University's all over the united states are hiring teamsters too start new programs teaching forest management and and draft animal extraction of timber!

I think it's great that universities are teaching a broader range of forest practices than they did a few years ago. I think horse logging is a great low-impact way to get the logs out. I also think it's just one of many tools to keep in one's box, along with all the others, including some of the less-in-vogue ones. There's a time and a place for everything.

By the by, one of my co-workers is also a Purdue grad. Sharp dude, knows his stuff. I certainly won't be dissing on you for your choice of schools!

There was a hippie crew who horselogged a pretty big patch of tall, skinny Doug Firs. I didn't watch them do it, but I saw the ground about a year later, nearly park like. They didn't burn the slash, it was scattered or piled for habitat. The Firs were 20-24 inch, they used handtools, taking almost half the timber and all the culls. It did take them a while.

I'm still learning. The School Of Asking Loggers is a good one to go to. Sometimes it is best to just tell them what result you want, and let them figure out how to do it. We are getting beautiful results on a touchy feelie sensitive area.

Best there is. Kind of tough to get them to give up the paperwork, though. Bummer, that.

Once upon a time, I did attend a little school for a while. One of my classes was soil & water conservation. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember much about what they said. Most of my education came when I stepped into the real world. I've got some paper work from that 1st little school I attended if someone really thinks they need it. I'd have to dig it up though.
I'm a firm believer in college, but the real education starts in the School of Hard Knocks.

Andy

There was a hippie crew who horselogged a pretty big patch of tall, skinny Doug Firs. I didn't watch them do it, but I saw the ground about a year later, nearly park like. They didn't burn the slash, it was scattered or piled for habitat. The Firs were 20-24 inch, they used handtools, taking almost half the timber and all the culls. It did take them a while.

I've never been around a real horse logging operation. But there was a guy around here that was doing a little horse logging on his own property. Really cool to watch him work his team, but like you said, it was slow going.

Andy

well thats where your wrong I said it was $10.00 per horse and that is all I pay I do my own shoeing I raise my own hay an grain so I dont pay over inflated prices for my animals! And how would you know what care cost for a draft horse if you dont use one?
And I found some pics here of fsc certified project and one of a clear cut I bet that if we did a national poll that more people would pick the fsc woods over the clear cut!
Here they are now number one is an aerial view of the too cuts number two is a fsc and number 3 is the clear cut

Well I to have been in the field for 30 years and am a third generation logger doing everything from cruising to cutting to rigging to machine operator to sawer so I have put my time in and have taken my nocks !

well thats where your wrong I said it was $10.00 per horse and that is all I pay I do my own shoeing I raise my own hay an grain so I dont pay over inflated prices for my animals! And how would you know what care cost for a draft horse if you dont use one?
And I found some pics here of fsc certified project and one of a clear cut I bet that if we did a national poll that more people would pick the fsc woods over the clear cut!Here they are now number one is an aerial view of the too cuts number two is a fsc and number 3 is the clear cut

Well, yah, but does that mean it is sound forestry? We're already seeing the results of forestry by how the "majority" (loudest screamers) wants. Gee.

My work here is done. This is not logical. Hey Randy, can I come in the bar too? I'll wear my purple shoes. . :beat-up::drink:

I like my Jack, Yukon. On ice, please.

I really am at a loss what to say about your posts except to say one size does not fit all.You may well have the best aproach for where you are at. Please though do not dismiss clearcuts wholesale. They really are the best way to do things in some areas. In my posts I have tried to make it clear my observations are limited to my small area of wandering up and down the coast. I wouldn't dane to argue for the same thing anywhere east of the coast range.

I completely agree pard. In my travels up and down the West Coast, mostly CLEARCUTTING:rock: The few times we did try to do some thinning, it was usually an effort in futility, as after a couple of good windstorms, we had to go back and re-log a big mess of blowdown. Again, not advocating big huge clearcuts, but they have their place in today's logging environment, at least in the environments that I have lived and worked in!

And yes my team only cost $10.00 per day to maintain and buy that includes food shoeing meds and vet fees I can pull them behind my pickup truck and when Im not using them they just hang around in the pasture and as far as most people not using them you would be surprised most of them keep to them selfs and do there job! I know personally at least 10 operations in Washington 5or 6 in in California and yes the guy in Colorado uses his horses all the way up too tree line ! Now I cant comment on palcos work that you are making reference too but one site dose not justify saying clear cutting is the only way out there!

Sorry bud, read it and weep. You didn't say per each, you said your team.
I didn't say I've never had any draft animals, I just don't anymore.
Oh did I mention my major in that little school I attended............Farm and Ranch Management.........Yeah, I remember now, that was it. Wanna talk some animal husbandry?
Check mate!
I don't want to play anymore, you can't remember what you say and that makes it hard to present a good arguement. :laugh:

Andy

Last edited:
Back