Swap meet...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jockeydeuce

jockeydeuce

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Yup, early production mag tank. I believe the cylinder has been off (no way to confirm though), so it's possible, maybe even probable that the piston/rings are replacements.........plus the piston was in backwards.:dizzy: (arrow pointing towards intake). I should post up some pix on the tear down, I did post up a thread on a difficulty with the clutch removal ("028 clutch help" maybe?), this is the same saw.

I have someone that may have a donor for me, if I get stuck on the muffler I'll let you know. Thanks.

Take a close look at that piston.....I worked on an 028 recently that had the piston stamped wrong.......The arrow was pointing toward the ring gaps.....Just make sure the ring gaps are on the intake side.

adkranger

adkranger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Take a close look at that piston.....I worked on an 028 recently that had the piston stamped wrong.......The arrow was pointing toward the ring gaps.....Just make sure the ring gaps are on the intake side.

Will do. I appreciate the input! I will look it over tomorrow to see if the ring gaps and arrow location make sense with cylinder port location(s).

SawGarage

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
ugh.

people...i'm tellin ya.

this may be a long shot...:censored:

I need a chainbrake assembly for a 075AV. The guy, um, CUT the clutch cover :barf:

the rest of the saw is near perfect.

also still looking for a 625/630/670 J-red clutch cover...

J

blsnelling
Thanks to Brushwacker for helping with my 028 parts! Now I'm looking for a clutch side crankcase for an 066; will pay in cash or parts.

Jimbo

The poly flywheel has a beefier crank in it, hence, a different crankcase.

There are at least 3 different 066 crankcases. Also, it's not advised to replace just one side. They are decked and machined as a matching set. Some have mismatched them successfully, but it's not typically advised.

SawGarage

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
There are at least 3 different 066 crankcases. Also, it's not advised to replace just one side. They are decked and machined as a matching set. Some have mismatched them successfully, but it's not typically advised.

Brad,

is that true? wow. any info confirming??

reason i ask, i bought a box-o-066 from a member, and after cleaning all the poo off of it, come to find out one of the AV mount bosses on the housing was cracked ( i could have popped it off with a fore finger and thumb... ARGH. :censored:
all i really needed was a top end, muffler, filter, good top covers, brake cover, coil, recoil post & pawls,etc... damn shoulda looked on ebay.

so he offered to find a case half ( been 2 months)... but now i'm a bit concerned. i was NOT planning on tearing it down, as the bottom end felt good...:cry:

blsnelling
Brad,

reason i ask, i bought a box-o-066 from a member, and after cleaning all the poo off of it, come to find out one of the AV mount bosses on the housing was cracked ( i could have popped it off with a fore finger and thumb... ARGH. :censored:
all i really needed was a top end, muffler, filter, good top covers, brake cover, coil, recoil post & pawls,etc... damn shoulda looked on ebay.

so he offered to find a case half ( been 2 months)... but now i'm a bit concerned. i was NOT planning on tearing it down, as the bottom end felt good...:cry:

There was the original with the smaller crank. Then they went to the larger crank with the poly flywheel. Then there's another with the larger crank and a larger oil tank.

SawGarage

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
so ms660 started with the poly wheel?

i was speaking to your comment about the cases not matching, or the crank bores aligning properly...

do you have literature confirming, or just old-wise-man stuff?

J

dgarrett

dgarrett

ArboristSite Member
051-076 8 tooth 404 clutch set up

Wanted to buy or trade 8 tooth clutch set up .404 for 076.... Or 32in .375 bar in 063 gauge with 076 bolt pattern. Have stihl parts or $ for trade. thanks dgarrett

Teddy.Scout
T

Teddy.Scout

Brad,

Have it welded!
There has been 2-3 threads, with pics of weld jobs.
AS member Hddnis had the most Technical info I used(or gave to the neighbor) which he understood when he welded it.
The top AV mount is a pretty simple weld since it has room to get at and around. I think for for $20-35 (or in my case, a case of Pabst) you should be ahead if the bottom end is good!

lwn9186

lwn9186

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Have it welded!
There has been 2-3 threads, with pics of weld jobs.
AS member Hddnis had the most Technical info I used(or gave to the neighbor) which he understood when he welded it.
The top AV mount is a pretty simple weld since it has room to get at and around. I think for for $20-35 (or in my case, a case of Pabst) you should be ahead if the bottom end is good!

Yep, Just have it welded, I have one the same way no harm no foul works fine. Just have the member pay the cost of having it welded.

Teddy.Scout
T

Teddy.Scout

Yep, Just have it welded, I have one the same way no harm no foul works fine. Just have the member pay the cost of having it welded.

I guess you can run the saw with out the upper AV mount!
But I wouldn't! You are only going to cause more damage.
In a pinch ya, I would finish a job or project on the fly, but it does need addressed. It is a easy fix, well if you can find a locally welder!?!?!?

Madsaw

Madsaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wanted to buy or trade 8 tooth clutch set up .404 for 076.... Or 32in .375 bar in 063 gauge with 076 bolt pattern. Have stihl parts or $ for trade. thanks dgarrett

Do you need just the drum and rim in 404. If so I have a new oregon power mate system. Also have a 32" ES bar here in 3/8 thats on the 056.
Bob

dgarrett

dgarrett

ArboristSite Member
Madsaw

Yes I just need the drum and sprocket in .404, but it has to be an 8 tooth. The 056 is a smaller mount then the 076. So it doesnt sound like your bar will work. Please let me know on the drum and sprocket. And if its an 8 tooth please include $ with shipping to 59701. thanks dgarrett

oscar4883

oscar4883

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looking for the filter mounting base and filter cover for the HD filter version of an 064. Have a few things worth trading and some cash.
Thanks
John

Teddy.Scout
T

Teddy.Scout

Alright guys!

Stihl 084 muffler and fly wheel side crank bearing!
It is for a friends saw I have lots to trade, but would like to send $$$$

THANKS!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts