SXL white powder buildup in transfer port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I just came into a bunch of XL-12's, SXL's, and SXL-12's. I'm parting them out for the most part, and in tearing one apart, I was questioning whether the top end was good, so I pulled the jug. Inside, I found a white, chalky residue built up in the flywheel-side transfer port, and a bit of buildup on the flywheel-side of the top of the cylinder. P/C look good, no scoring, or immediately noticeable difference in wear from one side to the other.

What's going on here?

more than likely from the case. probably coming up the intake side as the carb feeds the case then is drawn up through the transfers to the combustion chamber then burned off through the exhaust. Is there pitting on top of the piston? Magnesium burns pretty hot.

Well that makes a ton of sense, especially considering the appearance of the saws. Mechanically, they're in real good shape, but them Homelites make up the most butt-ugly haul I've ever had.

They are not the best looking Homelites but should be good runners. Here is a pic of a nice looking Homelite.
995G004.jpg

Well, I'm not going to argue with that, it is quite nice looking.

I got an SXL-12 running which I'm keeping, everything else is parted out.

The guy I got it from does have a 1130g, but he wanted more than $500 for it, along with 6' and 5' bars and chains. Definitely a nice looking saw.

Back