Synthetic 2-stroke oils??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say your cutting a 30'' pondo log at 10,000 feet and a 30'' pondo log at sea level. At sea level the engine is making more power, hence the load on the motor is less. Cutting the same log at altitude the engine is making less power hence the engine is working harder.
In a exaggerated sense which saw is going to work harder a 346 cutting the above mentioned log or a 066?

Are you saying that the saw running @ 10,000' , making less power is working harder?

I can see Ben's logic, but the engine is not working harder... Most smaller to medium saws are working at close to max HP in reasonable sized wood - we keep them there... that sweet spot we all love... At 10,000 feet the max HP is way way less.. and it can only work as hard as the HP allows, or it will bog out.. The clutch might be working harder...

Small aircraft engines flown consistently out of higher altitude airports last much longer than their sea level cousins... It's been a while, but I believe all I could get on take off out of BZN most of the year (4468ft) was about 70% hp.. Scared the crap out of me when I took the plane to sea level for the first time in 5 years...

I can see Ben's logic, but the engine is not working harder... Most smaller to medium saws are working at close to max HP in reasonable sized wood - we keep them there... that sweet spot we all love... At 10,000 feet the max HP is way way less.. and it can only work as hard as the HP allows, or it will bog out.. The clutch might be working harder...

Small aircraft engines flown consistently out of higher altitude airports last much longer than their sea level cousins... It's been a while, but I believe all I could get on take off out of BZN most of the year (4468ft) was about 70% hp.. Scared the crap out of me when I took the plane to sea level for the first time in 5 years...

I never would have thought that we shared an aviation past, but I should have known, your Kiwi.

Learning to fly @ 1100' (I0D, or, I zero D ) then moving to Colorado, average DA day mid summer is well into the 8000' , first thing I noticed is the ground just don't go away!

Got my PP in 80 , A&P in 89, returned to teach aviation technologies in 99 , was rewarding!

One of the first ideas to power-plant longevity is to basically "de-tune" it to begin with. There air starved by the carb size to get the TBO time needed for reliability (civilian versions) Most popular solo airplane is a Cessna 150 (cesspool one-filthy) there 200 cubic inches, with 100HP , we know we could Tim Ellan that! , but not stihl get 2000 hours out of it.

I flew my Piper 161 to 2850 hours... and only pulled it down because the insurance company was getting a bit goosey.. great shape.. looked like a 1500 hour engine... but to keep them happy, it was rebuilt (no exchange core... I wanted MINE..).

Got my instrument rating in MT, flew all over the states... Got the wife to 120 hours so she wouldn't sit there in the soup with white knuckles (she still did).. and she made a pretty damn good co-pilot. Single engine single pilot IFR in the rockies is for the birds..

You've never flown until you learn how to chase sheep off the grass runways in the mountains in NZ... Hint.. fly to one side... if you make a pass down the middle and split them, about the time you're on a very short final (like over the fence), hot day, 1000 foot strip, the woolly maggots get scared and all run back to the middle... Arghh.. I'm sure I sheared a few with the prop now and then. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I flew my Piper 161 to 2850 hours... and only pulled it down because the insurance company was getting a bit goosey.. great shape.. looked like a 1500 hour engine... but to keep them happy, it was rebuilt (no exchange core... I wanted MINE..).

Got my instrument rating in MT, flew all over the states... Got the wife to 120 hours so she wouldn't sit there in the soup with white knuckles (she still did).. and she made a pity damn good co-pilot. Single engine single pilot IFR in the rockies is for the birds..

You've never flown until you learn how to chase sheep off the grass runways in the mountains in NZ... Hint.. fly to one side... if you make a pass down the middle and split them, about the time you're on a very short final (like over the fence), hot day, 1000 foot strip, the woolly maggots get scared and all run back to the middle... Arghh.. I'm sure I sheared a few with the prop now and then. :hmm3grin2orange:

We used to run P&W R985s well into the low 2000s before majoring them. But we always started off with a OSMOH engine, knew the history of the core, and never ran them any harder than we had to. My dad was a firm believer in low MP and Marvel Mystery Oil. LOL He always said that 32" meant a MP setting and not the length of the flame coming out of the stack.

Got my instrument rating in MT, flew all over the states... Got the wife to 120 hours so she wouldn't sit there in the soup with white knuckles (she still did).. and she made a pity damn good co-pilot. Single engine single pilot IFR in the rockies is for the birds..

And I thought the best flying I ever did was boarding a MT Cook Airways BE-146 , on a flight to Queenstown, and the Blond haired brown eyed flight attendant said "You must be our hansome yank guest from Rocky Mountian Airways? let me fix that tie for you love" as she un-tied it handed it back to me, "if I make it to the States, someday, will you teach me how to ski?" in that Kiwi accent! Truely made my feel like King for a day! Glad you found a good Yank wife, there around I hear, but if I were to go looking, I think I would start anywere in the South Island!

And I thought the best flying I ever did was boarding a MT Cook Airways BE-146 , on a flight to Queenstown, and the Blond haired brown eyed flight attendant said "You must be our hansome yank guest from Rocky Mountian Airways? let me fix that tie for you love" as she un-tied it handed it back to me, "if I make it to the States, someday, will you teach me how to ski?" in that Kiwi accent! Truely made my feel like King for a day! Glad you found a good Yank wife, there around I hear, but if I were to go looking, I think I would start anywere in the South Island!

Funny thing is.. found my good yank wife in the South Island ;)

As we say in the South... if we cut the power cable, the North Island would drift away.. no great loss..:jester:

We used to run P&W R985s well into the low 2000s before majoring them. But we always started off with a OSMOH engine, knew the history of the core, and never ran them any harder than we had to. My dad was a firm believer in low MP and Marvel Mystery Oil. LOL He always said that 32" meant a MP setting and not the length of the flame coming out of the stack.

Running Ash Desperate oil, mystery oil maybe finds its finest use!

Your post dose bring me an idea, if we can run a huge AC engine, hauling our bacon over the rocks, count on it to keep our bacon out of the rocks, for 2000 hours with out detergent oils, we may be taking this 2-cycle oil thing a little to seriously?

I do like the flame length idea, best flame i ever had from a stack was with a P&W PT-6A's with a hot or hang start, the fuel will build and when it dose throw, it will make it to the tail. Some will say that a lot of T-tail AC are for ground effects, while we really know why there not behind the engine!

Funny thing is.. found my good yank wife in the South Island ;)

As we say in the South... if we cut the power cable, the North Island would drift away.. no great loss..:jester:

Been to NZ twice, not counting air time over the North Island, I bet I have not spent more then 8 hours on the North Island, but I bet my best personal land speed record was getting from the Auckland Int terminal to the Domestic terminal to catch a flight in 18 minutes!

Typical NZ humor, had a customs agent that knew I was in a hurry, but wanted to make sure I was a Yank, his question was "So how is Al? He still married?" Answer he was looking for, With Children, I told him, will i make my flight? "everything seems to be on order, lets get you on our way, enjoy your stay!"

I have a lot more 2 stroke motorcycle experience than I have of chain saw experience.
I have a different understanding than some of the posts here.
Some people speak of rich lean as the mix ratio of the oil and gas.
To me rich/ lean has to do with the jetting (air/fuel)
Going from 50:1 to 40:1 leans the motor out. Less gas more oil – they burn different.
More oil might provide extra lube but oil burns hotter ( may cause a problem).

My last big 2 stroke (bs 89x79) ran fine on amsoil synth at 88:1. I know the bottle said
100:1 but with that big of a piston I wanted a bit more oil to protect the cylinder from
Rocking forces. I spent some time to properly jet the carb in for this ratio.

Aircraft are not analaous to saws because as the altitude increase the air thins ofsetting some of the power loss.
With saws the wood remains the same, but the HP drops.

Huh? Now you're talking ground speed.... but the engine doesn't know or feel how fast the ground is going by..

Sure the wood stays the same, but you, the user, still keeps the saw at max hp, but now it's MUCH less hp.. less heat and less stress (except maybe by the user working the clutch).

Aircraft are not analaous to saws because as the altitude increase the air thins ofsetting some of the power loss.
With saws the wood remains the same, but the HP drops.

Wow!

No, not the use of the word "analaous" , the incorrect use of analogies, even at altitude, the weight of the aircraft and the drag of the airframe stays the same, and if you talk to most of the passengers, the need to keep going forward it up there!

Before you get all flustered, if I may ask, what is the airspeed of an AC trimmed out for level flight at 5000' , compared to the same AC, same trim at 10,000' flying level. if I may ask?

Andy, just say no to awnsering for a time.

Wow!

No, not the use of the word "analaous" , the incorrect use of analogies, even at altitude, the weight of the aircraft and the drag of the airframe stays the same, and if you talk to most of the passengers, the need to keep going forward it up there!

Before you get all flustered, if I may ask, what is the airspeed of an AC trimmed out for level flight at 5000' , compared to the same AC, same trim at 10,000' flying level. if I may ask?

Andy, just say no to awnsering for a time.

May I suggest explaining to Ben the difference between indicated air speed and true airspeed and the correlating temp/altitude parameters? Did I say that pretty enough?
Andy...you can answer this one if you want to.

Back