Synthetic 2-stroke oils??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole mix ratio thing is one of those things that is tough to decide for me. My brain tells me that 50:1 dino has worked perfectly for me for a long time, so 50:1 synthetic should be just fine.

But as soon as someone says more is better, the devil on one shoulder says to be conservative and add a little extra oil.

But without some pretty extensive and expensive controlled trials, it seems to be mostly speculation about best ratios based on somewhat random feedback of looking at maybe a few dozen motors.

I'm not quite sure what ratio I will run when I try synthetic soon (between 50 and 40 to 1 probably) but it will not be based on anything more than my greed and fear coefficients.

t without some pretty extensive and expensive controlled trials, it seems to be mostly speculation about best ratios based on somewhat random feedback of looking at maybe a few dozen motors.
There have been some studies done that conclude that lower mix ratios make more power. Authored by McCulloch no less.
Myself, I have seen with my own eyes enough motors ran on higher ratios to know that in general they usually have higher internal cleanliness. Its also my opinion and has been my observation that lower ratios protect bearings and cylinders better. I base this on the fact that most racing applications use a ratio no higher than 32:1 and many as low as 16:1.

another synthetic convert!

I wandered around The Dalles today, and found some pint bottles of mobil 1 2t at Schucks. The store guy said they are discontinuing it, so I hit him up for a special price.....he knocked off a buck per bottle, so I bought a case. He said he had about 5 more cases in the back room. You guys that are looking might try Schucks.
hvy048

There have been some studies done that conclude that lower mix ratios make more power. Authored by McCulloch no less.
Myself, I have seen with my own eyes enough motors ran on higher ratios to know that in general they usually have higher internal cleanliness. Its also my opinion and has been my observation that lower ratios protect bearings and cylinders better. I base this on the fact that most racing applications use a ratio no higher than 32:1 and many as low as 16:1.

I do believe all of that. The question I ponder is that under "normal" conditions (whatever they are) does the typical chainsaw motor last more hours on 32 to 1 vs 50 to 1. And if so, how much longer.

Extreme conditions like racing karts seem to more clearly required the extra lubrication of much higher ratios.

But I will say up front that I know very little about oils and defer to other's wisdom and experience. I have had fine luck with saws running dino at 50:1 except for milling where I both richen the mixture and ratio. Not quite sure what ratio I'll run when I start running synthetic soon, but probably in the 40 to 50 to 1 range.

A reason I am switching is to make my saws less stinky, and I would assume the higher ratio would burn slightly "cleaner".

he question I ponder is that under "normal" conditions (whatever they are) does the typical chainsaw motor last more hours on 32 to 1 vs 50 to 1. And if so, how much longer.
I dont have a concrete answer to this, and there are no studies that say so, but anecdotally I have seen some things that suggest that a 32:1 saw will outlast a 50:1 saw.
A reason I am switching is to make my saws less stinky, and I would assume the higher ratio would burn slightly "cleaner".
Thats would depend. 2R at 32:1 will burn much cleaner than Stihl orange at 50:1. It will also smell and smoke less. IN regards to stink. One source of stink in factory oils is the fuel preservative. Using Stihl Ultra synthetic the oil itself doesnt smell much, but I can sure smell the fuel preservative being burnt.

Latest posts

Back