T540XP or Rebuild 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairways_and_Greens

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've built up some credit with the wife (built her a nice chicken coop and garden area).

I have a Echo CS-3000. I'd like a hotter saw for climbing.

My local saw shop is selling T540XPs for $600 out the door. There are some clapped out 200Ts around for around $450. Would I be better off with the new saw or making a little project rebuild of a 200T with a new top end?

There's a 200T for $350 + shipping in the trading post...just sayin'!

I've heard nothing but complaints about the T540xp.

Would I be better off with the new saw or making a little project rebuild of a 200T with a new top end?
Of course the second option is pretty hard to comment on. One is new and the other depends on the meaning of little. If you like the carburetor forward design like your Echo for about $460 Jonsorend 2139 model would be worth considering. It has a 3 mm longer stroke on the same bore as a ms200. More primitive porting but more advanced anti vibe. See post 10 in the linked thread above. If you really want hotter hard for me to see how the 540 with 2mm more stroke would not be the way to go.

What's the difference between the 201T and 201TC?
201TC has the M-tronic carburetor. Control switch is also different because of it. We've been using them for about 6 months now without problems and I've heard from others on here that they're a good saw and have more power than the 201T in cookie cutting contests.

I love the husky brand
But they still can't make a decent tree climb saw in my opinion
The t540 is quite good when going from a users point of view but wait till you have to work on it they are over engineered and over complicated
The stihl is a lot more simple

I have sold lots( 5 I think) of 200T's that were freshened up with new rings and a carb rebuild or sometimes a new piston if the old one was worn. Most were a 7 or 8 out of 10 on the looks, but all ran very good. Average selling price has been $400.

These saws do rebuild well and are one of the easier top handles to work on once you get used to them.

There is nothing snappier than a 200T with a good carb and tune and a 16 inch picco bar.

I have heard nothing but grumbles about the Husky top handles, from old 335xpt's to the new T540....

I have personally only had a few of the 335xpt's and they aren't bad, but their air filter design is a weak point for sure.

I also think the Stihl 201's are pretty lazy revving and unimpressive for a $600 stock saw. Apparently a muff mod and timing advance works wonders though.

Since you are looking to buy a saw for you, I recommend a nice used 200T or even 020T from the trading post here.

The 020T lacks the high speed idle setting on the handle switch and the cylinder and carb are slightly different, otherwise a very good saw as well.

I am speaking about the 020T with parts interchangeability with the 200t, not the old dinosaur mag body one.

201TCs are great saws right out of the box. They have excellent throttle response and no laziness like early 201Ts had. That's a thing of the past. While not required, the new 201TC still benefits significantly from the same mods that were required on the early 201Ts. They ALL have the potential to run fantastic with very simple mods.

201TCs are great saws right out of the box. They have excellent throttle response and no laziness like early 201Ts had. That's a thing of the past. While not required, the new 201TC still benefits significantly from the same mods that were required on the early 201Ts. They ALL have the potential to run fantastic with very simple mods.

Completely agree. The 201TC has great throttle response. The older 201Ts were turds.

Completely agree. The 201TC has great throttle response. The older 201Ts were turds.

That is good to hear from You and Brad..... I was beginning to wonder how long it would take Stihl to notice that professionals didn't like their new mediocre $600 replacement for their ragged out 200T's.

I will have to try the new 201tc if I get one to repair

That is good to hear from You and Brad..... I was beginning to wonder how long it would take Stihl to notice that professionals didn't like their new mediocre $600 replacement for their ragged out 200T's.

I will have to try the new 201tc if I get one to repair

Yeah, I couldn't believe how bad the older 201s ran. TBH it tarnished Stihl's reputation of their flagship top handle saw. But guys have been giving praise towards the M-Tronic version and I haven't hard of many issues with them at all so far. I'm not sure what all they changed besides for the computerized carb but it made a huge difference. Maybe Mr. Snelling or someone more knowledgeable can elaborate on that...

I'm just a home owner. Maybe even an Echo 355T?
Definately the way to go! I wouldn't even consider the two you have mentioned in a homeowner setting!

What I always find kind of ludicrous, is that people are really PAYING big $$$ for a used 200 rebuilt with far east spare parts! I mean this is surely something quite strange that I can only understand as fanboy mentality.

I like nice tools man! If the 201Tc is worth the extra money, I'll be happy to pay the extra. I just don't see it as twice the saw...

Definately the way to go! I wouldn't even consider the two you have mentioned in a homeowner setting!

What I always find kind of ludicrous, is that people are really PAYING big $$$ for a used 200 rebuilt with far east spare parts! I mean this is surely something quite strange that I can only understand as fanboy mentality.

I like nice tools man! If the 201Tc is worth the extra money, I'll be happy to pay the extra. I just don't see it as twice the saw...
Clearly you haven't understood what I was talking about. I will try to expalin it again. Very many Stihl 200 being sold on the "used" market, have needed repairs. Of course there is nothing against repairing a produkt before selling it. BUT the majoritiy of repairs is done with NON OEM parts. No one in his right mind would invest a few hundred $ for a piston, etc. when you can get the parts for a fraction of the cost from far east. But still everyone is selling their product for the price of a regular used saw.... That is my critisism of the practice.

Of course the Stihl 200/201 line belong to the best out there and are definately always to consider if you only want the best!

I was in the Stihl dealer the other day. They told me Stihl is saying no warranty for homeowners buying a top handle pro saw and 90 days for a tree service. Anybody else hear this?

Back