Takin Donations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:bowdown:

Anyone feeling in the giving spirit?

Got a GMC 1984 7000 dump bed down the street for me that has been for sale fore a couple months now. It must have been parked somewhere else for a while and I thought it had been sold, but its back! I do not see a price on it right now, so I'm gonna give the guy a call.

When I first saw it, he wanted $3900 for it. I don't have that kinda cash, but man, I wish I did! The firewood business would be a booming for me alot quicker!

So, who wants to help me invest in my business? :laugh:

Looks pretty much like this: (Except it does not have a ladder on the bed, and its a black bed instead. I should get some pics for you all to see!)

http://www.ukrainetzauction.com/2008-sales/2008-06-15/100_3416.JPG

So, who wants to help me invest in my business?

so...if some one invests $1500, (half the price of the truck) does that mean they'll get 50% ownership in the business? :)

I know what ya mean by broke, buddy! Can't even spend money to make money.

As far as 1/2 ownership, haha, no! The govt. would already have their hand in a 1/3 of it... lol. Gotta love taxes. I guess I just better go get in the soup line, now...

Anyhoo, I talked to the guy today and he is a landscaping business owner. He bought it in the spring and has not used it much. He wants $3900 for it, which he says is what he has into it. Unless I can pull rabbits out of my hat, it aint gonna happen, lol.

I better just go get myself into debt with a 3/4 ton dodge cummins and a gooseneck.

I wouldn't want that truck for a lo of use. Your better off with a dump trailer. Those trucks suck fuel. They are high so loading sucks. They are old and need a lot of upkeep. They are a pain to sell. There is a reason they are cheap. I would say that guy is about $2k to high. There was a member on here earlier that bought one somewhat like that for $1300 and some change. If you really want one keep looking.

Scott

There is buying, that's the easy and cheap part.

Then there is owning, the hard and expensive part. Think, " meet George Jetson with his wallet open and the constant emptying of it" .

Without knowing your market, most folks order a cord or less, so stick to a one ton with 4x4, and a 9 or 10' mason box. Even handier is a flat bed that dumps, usually a factory setup, they will contain a lot of firewood if you add high sides.

Your delivery area or typical customer will dictate a dump trailer. For me, it would be too much tail wagging the dog situations. 45* driveways are a bugger with dry weather, you throw in some snow and ice, you ain't going anywhere. You need to fit the delivery vehicle with your area, and typical size of orders. When you get that once in a while multiple cord order, either make a deal with extra gas money for multiple trips, or price it accordingly to cover a couple extra trips.
Around here, 3tons is the limit for a few weeks while the frost comes out, any truck bigger than a pickup gets fined up the wazoo, it is not worth it.

ok, thats my two dead prez'.

That trucks been sittin cause its way too old. Dump trailers are way better value, don't neeed insurance and don't break down

Hmm, I see... Well, thats the beauty of me coming on here and sharing my thoughts with you all! I get an educated answer.

A dump trailer, eh?

Idk about a dump trailer, But if Your just doing firewood shop around. I see running 1 tons on craiglist for $1500 and less with a dump bed. Full size trucks like that gmc $1000 to $2000 all day long. But plates are not cheap, dot rules and regs. Stick with a 1 ton with a farm plate. But I'm hauling wood for the barn, Officer. Stick with-it

That trucks been sittin cause its way too old. Dump trailers are way better value, don't neeed insurance and don't break down

yep, the truck is a crapper. dime a dozen at $2k and still a money pit. bootstrap your business, if you have a viable business model you'll be able to afford something better at a later date.

Well, a dump trailer would not be such a bad idea actually.

I would not have to spend oogles of money on a dump bed truck like so, and I can use my daily driver to haul the trailer. I would like to get about 4 cord at a time in the trailer if possible.

Granted, that kind of trailer will be spendy...

The check is in the mail. On the outside chance you don't get it, the cause will be the US postal service. Take the matter up with them and don't let them tell ya no lies.

I would say that guy is about $2k to high. There was a member on here earlier that bought one somewhat like that for $1300 and some change. If you really want one keep looking.

Scott
yup $1300 for this:
bluedog.jpg

detroit 8.2 Turbo 8LL trans 2 speed rear (odd combo) averages about 13 mpg empty at 55 and about 8 mpg with 20k on the deck and 20k behind it on the trailer at 55 I love driving it... Tags are $400 a year and 100k liability is $800 a year.... people say get a 1 ton get a 1 ton... well you put 6k# on a 1 ton and you are way overloaded, you can put double that on this truck without it breaking a sweat

I would like to get about 4 cord at a time in the trailer if possible.

Granted, that kind of trailer will be spendy...

:laugh:
4 cords!? must be a hell of a trailer! and truck pulling it..

2005-International-CXT-FA-Rocks-1024x768.jpg

this is what i use for deliveries and hauling the 4 wheeler around...

Back