Tales from the dealer today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlrookie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Stopped into my local dealer to fondle an MS261 today. Sales guy came over, he is also the shop hand, to help me out. First thing I notice is the tag under the MS261 says CQ, 579.00. I ask him what CQ means, knowing full well myself. He consults some handy pocket guide he has, can't give me an answer. Well I explain to him that it is the Quick Stop feature and that the saw on the shelf labeled as such does not have this option, its quite obvious. He is clueless. As I am about to leave, empty handed again, I notice an MS290 on the shelf above with a 25" bar on it! I tell the guy that saw should not have that bar on it, he knows he says, customer ordered it that way and then wanted a shorter bar when he saw it. He then tells me that Stihl says it can run a 25" bar! Oh brother.

He did say he would swap the MS261 parts to make it 3/8 if I wanted to go that route, now to convince him that the 261 on the shelf is not a CQ model and I should get it for less $$.

Stopped into my local dealer to fondle an MS261 today. Sales guy came over, he is also the shop hand, to help me out. First thing I notice is the tag under the MS261 says CQ, 579.00. I ask him what CQ means, knowing full well myself. He consults some handy pocket guide he has, can't give me an answer. Well I explain to him that it is the Quick Stop feature and that the saw on the shelf labeled as such does not have this option, its quite obvious. He is clueless. As I am about to leave, empty handed again, I notice an MS290 on the shelf above with a 25" bar on it! I tell the guy that saw should not have that bar on it, he knows he says, customer ordered it that way and then wanted a shorter bar when he saw it. He then tells me that Stihl says it can run a 25" bar! Oh brother.

He did say he would swap the MS261 parts to make it 3/8 if I wanted to go that route, now to convince him that the 261 on the shelf is not a CQ model and I should get it for less $$.

sounds like a few dealers around here,, even the owners don't know there own products

Kind of like this from one of my 3 local Stihl box stores....

IMG_0403640x480.jpg

IMG_0404640x480.jpg

They at least fixed the problem by the time I had gone in a week later.

I absolutely just LOVE the Ren and Stimpy "blink blink" when I ask about the 441 C-M Mtronic. Sames goes for the Husky guy when I have mentioned the word "Autotune". :bang::bang::bang:

Even though you all are many miles away from me, these type dealerships just piss me off. I know my employees do not know everything but dang. If your gonna try to sell something, know the product. It makes us all look bad.

i bet the dealer is just as impressed with you.

Dealers should keep up on the product. Also, Stihl and Husqvarna do a piss poor job of updating some dealers around here.

I dont give a damn what the dealer thinks of me, or anyone else. If he wants to sell product, represent it right.

My local Dolmar-Jonsered-Redmax-Efco outlet is the exact opposite. The guy knows all the stats, features and details. AND he'll give you an honest opinion and point out the things he does and DOESNT like! I'm not stating the brands to say they are better at training dealers, I have asked him how he knows it all and he says he spends hours at home reading up and checking out parts break downs to be on top of it all. The local Stihl place has a good guy who knows his stuff....luck of the draw I guess.

The Stihl dealer here is the Radio Shack store (I'm serious!):mad:

That's why I've switched to Husky, the dealer is better.

Ken

i have a good dealer thank goodness. the owner's a good guy, same with the counter lady and mechanics. they won't give up a penny but the service is damn good.

i have a good dealer thank goodness. the owner's a good guy, same with the counter lady and mechanics. they won't give up a penny but the service is damn good.

That's what matters. :msp_thumbup: I highly doubt they would screw you also....

how about a28 inch

on a 029 super with a mufler mod and afull skip chain worked good on pine and fir :hmm3grin2orange:

Our Stihl dealers around here are about that way as well as most of us from being here have a fair amount of more knowledge than most on the saws.

Now the Dolmar dealer in my area will convince you that they are so good that all you have to do is walk up to a tree and it will practically fall over from fear of the Dolmar saw. He is quite knowledgeable though about what he sells and very enthusiastic about it:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm lucky, my local dealer does know his stuff, but even he doesn't know about the new products before they have them in stock. A good example is when Nik asked him about the 441 M-tronic, he had no clue it even existed. Lets be honest chainsaws are low on the totem pole when it comes to sales. Just think about how many line trimmers and blowers they sell, and the amount they make on commercial mowers every year, chains saws just don't mean much.

Sure it can be done

I am not saying the 290 can't pull a 25" bar and chain, but should a new 290 come with one on it? Answer, no.

It's irritating, knowing that there are intelligent individuals out there without jobs that would far surpass what I dealt with today.

Back