Teeny tiny Homie XL.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A coworker just gave me two little Homelite XL tophandle saws. One is in a plastic case and is a model UT-10734R. The other is all metal and is marked XL-2 on the recoil cover, basically identical saws.

I tore them apart when I got home and found that the metal body saw is trashed, looks like it ran w/o air filter for some time as the P & C are badly scuffed, there was no recoil rope so I didn't even try to check compression.

The plastic body saw looked much better, I put some 10-30 in the plug hole and it makes good compression for such a tiny little guy. I tore that one apart and split the case. I'm impressed with it, it is actually really well made and has Walbro CDI ignition (which I failed to check for spark prior to disassembly, duh). I'm posting a pic of the only damage on the piston I could find and it is pretty minor, I got the ring off and it (piston) touched right up with 400 grit paper soaked in oil. All the bearings are tight and the jug is OK but I might run a brake hone into it just for fun since it is apart.

I had an idea of transferring the guts from the plastic one into the metal case but I acually prefer the plastic handle which has a rudimentary anti-vibe setup and the throttle if back further on the handle and along with a plastic knuckle shield which might make it a bit safer to use. It also has an adjustable oiler!

I thought I would offer the metal saw to any AS users who might need points/condenser etc. before I put it on the bay in pieces. I don't want to give the whole thing away as I need to make some money back out of this since I'll be buying parts to fix the plastic dude from my pocket and giving the saw back to the owner, but if you need a onsie twosie part from the metal guy then PM me and I'll send them out gratis. I've gotten a lot of good info from this site and this is my way to pay back to the users.

2182206266_0e5c91147d_o.jpg

Pic of piston, comments are welcomed. Damage is on the left side of the piston above the ring groove. Possibly carbon scoring? What do you guys think?

A coincidence!

I just disassembled a xl top handle tonight, ut10618, Mine run but the oiler is not working, & I want to clean everything up and see if I can find a new ring for it.
Keep us posted on how you are making out.

I've made some good progress on the little guy. I cleaned up the piston scuffs and ran a hone into the cylinder to break the glaze. Cleaned up the block and associated parts, oiled everything up and reassembled. Has excellent compression from just turning over by hand. Can't wait to see what it will do when I can pull on the rope once it is back in the case. I DO have a strong spark so that means I'll be ordering the sprocket and some other parts from Kyle at Edge and Engine to finish the rebuild. Then I'm on to a Poulan 3400 from Craigslist.

Here are some pics.

Here are all the parts cleaned and ready to assemble.
2186926680_a4b4413939_b.jpg

Here is a shot of the cylinder, cleaned up nice. Sorry pic though.
2186147029_85a578cc8d_b.jpg

All together now. The quality of this saw is quite surprising.
2186929596_76b0eecde1_b.jpg

Tomorrows job is to clean up this mess!
2186147973_fb898e8023_b.jpg

All thats left to do until I get the rest of the parts is to clean out the carb, make a new air filter, and clean out the tanks and case halfs. Going to be a cool little saw.

Hey Brian, tell your Bride how much you appreciate all she does for you. Give here some $$$$ and offer to watch the kids while she does some Saturday shopping.

While she's gone, put that case in the dishwasher, it'll clean up like new. :) :) :)

Hey Brian, tell your Bride how much you appreciate all she does for you. Give here some $$$$ and offer to watch the kids while she does some Saturday shopping.

While she's gone, put that case in the dishwasher, it'll clean up like new. :) :) :)

Yeah, but then you gotta pay off the kids to keep them quiet. Can you say "new video game"? :biggrinbounce2:

Very cool little saw.

How do you spell 'divorce' again? :jawdrop:

Sounds like a good idea Joe. I'm gonna grab some cascade and head over to your place so you can show me how it works in your dishwasher! :cheers:

Sounds like a good idea Joe. I'm gonna grab some cascade and head over to your place so you can show me how it works in your dishwasher! :cheers:

When I rebuilt my 3450, my bride actually let me put all the parts in our dishwasher. Letting me do stuff like that is just one of the reasons I've kept her around for over 25 years.

I'm not so sure, however, why she's kept me around. :)

When I rebuilt my 3450, my bride actually let me put all the parts in our dishwasher. Letting me do stuff like that is just one of the reasons I've kept her around for over 25 years.

I'm not so sure, however, why she's kept me around. :)

Because she needs someone to tend the wood stove, DUH! :dizzy:

Here are some more pics of the little guy. I expect to have it finished today less the sprocket and bar/chain which I still need.

Clean and restrung recoil.
2188963059_c906114c61_b.jpg

Fresh fuel lines and a clean carb.
2189750712_8e02dcc0bf_b.jpg

Almost done!
2188963635_0dd6c012f5_b.jpg

You'll like it.I've got a couple.Their a fun little saw to run.

Good job on the clean up !!!

Thanks for the great pictures and descriptions. I have just taken apart my first 25cc Homelite engine and found a stuck ring due to carbon build up. After cleaning the piston up it looks good for service again.

You mentioned and it appears from the pictures that you did hone the cylinder. What type of hone did you use? I have a one inch brake hone and the porting in the cylinder will not allow for full rotation. Also, there is odd striping that runs horizontally in the cylinder. It is not raised, just discolored. Did you find that in the cylinder you were working with? Lastly, I have talked to a couple of small engine shops about honing the cylinder and heard conflicting information about cylinder plating. Do you know if Homelite plates the cylinders of these small engines and is it something I should be aware of and concerned about?

Sorry for the rambling but I don't want to wreck the project right from the start!

Thanks for the great pictures and descriptions. I have just taken apart my first 25cc Homelite engine and found a stuck ring due to carbon build up. After cleaning the piston up it looks good for service again.

You mentioned and it appears from the pictures that you did hone the cylinder. What type of hone did you use? I have a one inch brake hone and the porting in the cylinder will not allow for full rotation. Also, there is odd striping that runs horizontally in the cylinder. It is not raised, just discolored. Did you find that in the cylinder you were working with? Lastly, I have talked to a couple of small engine shops about honing the cylinder and heard conflicting information about cylinder plating. Do you know if Homelite plates the cylinders of these small engines and is it something I should be aware of and concerned about?

Sorry for the rambling but I don't want to wreck the project right from the start!

I used the smallest hone I have it is a two stone rig with pads about 3/4 long. I tried to used a three stone hone and it wouldn't turn either, just kept getting stuck in the ports. I don't know what your striping is but it might just be stained from old fuel and/or varnish? I would think the cylinder is plated, but even if it isn't that would not stop me from honing. I've honed a few old unplated lawnmower engines and they turned out fine.

Thanks for the response. I guess my biggest concern about the plating was removing it during the honing process, but based on your experience and success I will be honing it. I don't have a 2 stone honing tool so will try one of the newer ball hones sized for the cylinder.

Well, he lives again, kinda.

I finished assembly this morning and fueled him up. Runs but not well. Starts right up on choke then runs and dies or just dies after choke is off. Did get him to run for about 1 min by richening up the low side then it ran too fast at idle. Looks like an air leak somewhere and I suspect the carb base gasket as that gasket was not in the best shape. I'll order a new carb kit along with my other parts and try again!

Thanks to Kyle at Edge and Engine Homie runs awesome now. The old diaphram was pliable but stretched out and loose. New diaphram and away she goes! Runs like a top, if a top had an internal combustion engine.

Next task it to figure out why it won't oil, the pressure tank is leaking somewhere.

This must be the time for fixing up XL's

I got mine running but it was getting bar oil into the crankcase cuz of a bad check valve, Parts from a Super 2 doner saw remedied the situation. Should have ti all back together and running tomorrow, unless of course I spend the whole day doing snow.

Yeah they're neat little saws.

Thanks to Kyle at Edge and Engine Homie runs awesome now. The old diaphram was pliable but stretched out and loose. New diaphram and away she goes! Runs like a top, if a top had an internal combustion engine.

Next task it to figure out why it won't oil, the pressure tank is leaking somewhere.
I have mine tore apart & cleaned now & plan on going over to Edge & Engines Mon. I have never been to there shop, but it's only about 7 miles from my house. I have to see why the oiler is not working on mine. I'll post some pictures.

hey i got one of those little saws! I need to rebuild it also. It has been sitting for a few years(10??) Going to have to go through it but i would like to use it for limbing a Pine that i need to take down before spring comes. Better than using a pole saw or the Husky 55!!

Stew

Back