Tell me your thoughts on this deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A tree guy I've been getting logs from for a few years wants to unload his TW6 splitter. It has a 4 way and a 6 way wedge and the removable production table as well as the log lift. His plan of selling firewood didn't work out like he planned . This machine is 3-4 years old but only has 22 hours on it and was garage kept. He brought it over and I ran it for a bit today and was impressed enough to consider buying it. It chewed up some pretty big and knotty cherry logs in no time with the 6 way on. With my current splitter, I would have had to take the 4 way off . Price would be $7,000. Thoughts?

Price sounds pretty good. Think a new one is about 8-9 grand. I sold my Tw-5 for 5 grand, not sure the Tw-6 is worth the extra expense. Most guys say they never used the 6 way. I only had a 4 way for mine. Offer him $6,500.00 and see what he says. I am assuming that it doesn't have the auto cycle on it. For me that would be a deal breaker. The auto cycle really speed up the process. There are a couple of used Power Splits out there for around $15-17 grand so it depends on how crazy you want to get with it. I think the TW-6 would be an improvement over the Iron and Oak that I think your using now.

Price sounds pretty good. Think a new one is about 8-9 grand. I sold my Tw-5 for 5 grand, not sure the Tw-6 is worth the extra expense. Most guys say they never used the 6 way. I only had a 4 way for mine. Offer him $6,500.00 and see what he says. I am assuming that it doesn't have the auto cycle on it. For me that would be a deal breaker. The auto cycle really speed up the process. There are a couple of used Power Splits out there for around $15-17 grand so it depends on how crazy you want to get with it. I think the TW-6 would be an improvement over the Iron and Oak that I think your using now.
If I do buy it, there will obviously be a learning curve but I did like how the 6 way chewed up those cherry rounds. It does have every extra they make for it. I also like that it's basically a new machine.

Also check out the Eastonmade models to compare.
I've looked at them and they are impressive but never looked into price. Concerns about those are support - timber wolf is an established company located close to where my sister lives.
Does anyone in here own an Eastonmade or know someone who does?
Also, this unit is just down the road

You could probably use it to do 100 cords a year and it'd still be worth 6k or more.

If I was buying new, I'd probably go with an Eastonmade, Wolfe Ridge, or other less known band than Timberwolf, but that's a great price and being able to buy something right down the road is very convenient.

It is a great splitter. I would think you would be very happy with it. It is powerful and fast for a hydraulic. The 3 1/2 inch rod is impressive.
It has a huge hydraulic tank w/filter and site glass; dump valve for quick return stroke; you can stand between log lift and tire on the work side of machine; electric start; five gallon fuel tank; and a huge plus with any splitter is the adjustable height wedge, and it is just a brute of a machine at 1,450 pounds. You will need something to move it with, and preferably keep it hitched to. Otherwise, if free standing the rear foot needs to be down or it will tip with the outside table loaded, which means crawling around to pin the foot. There is no suspension for road towing, but unlikely you will need it in your situation. It is a proven machine, and already on your wood lot. The log lift, extra cylinder cycle speed, electric start on a bigger splitter, large wheels, and large off engine mounted fuel tank are all small pluses.
Eastonmade looks impressive. I saw them at the Ohio Paul Bunyan Show. I also emailed them a month before the show and actually got a reply. I have also seen his post on this site.
If buying new again I would go with Eastonmade based on price and design.
Your situation is very different, and personally I would buy the used Timberwolf and modify the four-way wedge again, making it a shelf to hold the upper splits for re-splitting.
One difference in design is the round cradle on the beam allows the wedge to be adjusted down if necessary when full of splits. The TW-6 requires clearing the lower splits from the wedge. I believe the Eastonmade runs a smaller engine and higher psi pressure. Not sure about the fuel tank.

IMG_1519.jpgIMG_1522.jpg

I've looked at them and they are impressive but never looked into price. Concerns about those are support - timber wolf is an established company located close to where my sister lives.
Does anyone in here own an Eastonmade or know someone who does?
Also, this unit is just down the road
The builder is a member on here, go chat with him.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/eastonmade-wood-splitter.304029/page-3#post-6423797

If I was about to drop that kind of money I would still do some homework on products in thst price range. Good luck, let us know what way you go.

Very nice,

Great price on a great machine. Sure it will produce firewood for you for a very long time.

If I may suggest, when you have some time pop a Prince Auto-cycle valve on there and speed things up even more. I always tell people there is life before auto-cycle, and then life after, especially if you work alone like me. Not hard to do, less than $250 in parts depending on how and where you shop. The valve mounting platform is most likely prepunched for the autocycle mounting pattern as it used to be standard on that machine.

Take Care

One thing I've seen already is that I can't come close to keeping up with it. And the power....oh man!

What Sandhill said +1. That's why mine has been permanently affixed, braced, and modified. Start shopping now as you will soon be in desperate need of a conveyor. Just like the auto cycle, there is life before a conveyor and life after! The 6 way does make a mess of things....mine never does anything more than hold down the corner of an occasional tarp.

Back