Thank You Dolmar Dealer!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I haven't been on this site for very long and I just started cutting wood this yr. and burning it for heat. Much better too btw...

Anyways I started with a MS210 last spring that didn't idle correctly and the dealers didn't treat me the best they could or "should", but I did end up with a ms290 in trade for the 210. So it was a step up and it did run good and do the job. All it did was basically give me a bad itch. So I searched CL and found an MS310 parts saw. I'm a tool maker-machinist, so fixing stuff comes natural for me. I decided to buy it.

That's where my local Dolmar Dealer comes into play. He was selling it as it (ms310) was a trade in. I fixed it up and he helped me get some parts for it. It runs good and is like a new saw. But I still have an itch... I found this site by accident and pm'd Javelin (Alex) not knowing he was the local Dolmar dealer from who I just bought this 310 from. Small world anyway....

But Alex has been great help in deciding what I really need and everyone else here too. I've probably bugged him so much he doesn't want to hear back from me again!! Sorry Alex!!!

So last week I sold both my saws and put the money together for a Dolmar 7900. I called Alex today at 2pm and told him my decision and what time I'd be by his shop to pick up. He had the "beast" idling in the front awaiting it's new owner. This is a big step up and I was really close to going with a 5100. But I figured that I was already carrying around 13+ lbs with the 290 and 310. What's another 8oz! RAW POWWA is what it is!!! WOW.. I can't wait to cut lumber this weekend..... I guess this is what you call CAD here. I also fly rc airplanes and it's basically a hobby addiction. But I can tell you this. It's better than beer and drugs!

THANKS JAVELIN!!!!

Personal touch and connection is sadly missing from most businesses..... Looks like you found a great dealer/friend.

As a former business owner that's really what your customers are -- friends. They don't have to to business w/you they CHOOSE to. end of rant.:dizzy:

Post what you think of your new 'baby'!

Yes you are correct Slinger.

There are several small shops in the Springfield area. I am relatively new here. Transplanted from Iowa 4yrs ago. I know all the hardware stores etc. They advertise and you know them from that and of course the lowes and home depots. But if you haven't lived here all your life you don't know all the mom and pop shops that will do you right the first time. And it's a shame that the locals don't say something like "go check out this shop". They just let you go on your merry way to spend your money at the local hardware store that carries stihl..

I took the 7900 out right before it got dark and ripped through some big hedge rounds that I had laying here from last weekend. I will say it is a BIG step up and I'm very pleased with this saw. I like power and like to Mawwww through stuff. Being a machinist I believe removing material the fastest way is the best way. So bigger machine and bigger tool =:) I'll post more when I fell a few trees with it and buck them. I have some big ones left at an acreage that I'm clearing out. Plenty of practice...:chainsaw: I am glad that I got the 7900 instead of the 5100 though. I haven't used a 5100 and plan on buying one soon to add to my package. But for what I'm doing right now the 7900 will be perfect..

Last edited:
Sounds like a great guy

I have a dealer near me who is great also. He is a stihl dealer, but works on my jreds and my 6401 if I need anything. I was going to ask about your using Iowa as a handle and living in MO, but I guess you sort of explained that. It is good to be in the tropics of the show me state tonight anyway as it is below zero now and not going to get warm for a while. Good luck with the saw. JR

There is only one problem I see with a 7900....that is, from now on, everything else you run (short of a 660) will be a disappointment. Congrats!:clap:

Brent

Thank You for the compliment!:) And I think you will feel like I do about the 7900 which is well awesome! Especially when she gets broke in good!

By the way is the chain aggressive enough?

Brent

Thank You for the compliment!:) And I think you will feel like I do about the 7900 which is well awesome! Especially when she gets broke in good!

By the way is the chain aggressive enough?

The chain is pretty good. I was expecting more bite though. Is this what they call a chissel chain?
I don't understand chains. I need to go to class?

Yes it is a full chisel! When you dull those up good give me a shout and I can make it real aggressive! Or use your file like you had been. Your pretty good with the hand grinder better than most that I see around here!

Maybe it's my background. The first chain I had in the shop I wasn't aggressive enough and my coworker told me to take more off. However I was using a very small dia. stone on our dremel at work. He's been cutting wood for yrs. so he gave me a couple pointers. I'm no expert, but I know what should work!! LOL

Some of that Stihl chain worked better after I sharpened it. That's the way it seemed. Bigger chips. I dunno what I did. It's just a cheap 12V dremel sharpening tool from race bros.

Congrats on the saw!!!

Now what are you going to do about a small saw when the 7900 is just total overkill?

BTW, if you had CAD, you wouldn't have been able to trade-in those saws.

Congrats on the saw!!!

Now what are you going to do about a small saw when the 7900 is just total overkill?

BTW, if you had CAD, you wouldn't have been able to trade-in those saws.

Probably get the 5100 or 460. Dunno yet. I have a 192tc also, which works pretty good.

I had to sell those saws to raise money for 7900. I cut all my money trees down in my back yard. And now I have 3 money suckers in the house. 8, 5, and 1 yr old.

I sold my 1995 046 two weeks ago for $400.00 and pick up the 6401 which is the blue dolmar not as pretty as the red one but she will be going to the wood pile tomorrow. look,s like you went straight to the top with the 7900 I hope you give an update when your back from the wood pile. I have been starting mine up every morning just to hear her run. i,m going for the big bore kit that is suppose to be coming out in a few months. I need 6.4 plus HP. I mean if your already at that weight level why not have all the power. i,m glad to hear you have received good dealer support and from javelin he has said great things about the dolmar so now it all makes since. sound like you already know how to do your own work anyway. well wish you all the best with your new saw .Thanks for the good word about dealer support we need to hear that allot more!!! That gets thrown in as a reason some times not to buy one. Lack of dealer support. Did not scare me away. :chainsawguy:

I sold my 1995 046 two weeks ago for $400.00 and pick up the 6401 which is the blue dolmar not as pretty as the red one but she will be going to the wood pile tomorrow. look,s like you went straight to the top with the 7900 I hope you give an update when your back from the wood pile. I have been starting mine up every morning just to hear her run. i,m going for the big bore kit that is suppose to be coming out in a few months. I need 6.4 plus HP. I mean if your already at that weight level why not have all the power. i,m glad to hear you have received good dealer support and from javelin he has said great things about the dolmar so now it all makes since. sound like you already know how to do your own work anyway. well wish you all the best with your new saw .Thanks for the good word about dealer support we need to hear that allot more!!! That gets thrown in as a reason some times not to buy one. Lack of dealer support. Did not scare me away. :chainsawguy:

I was very close to buying a 6400 on ebay or from my dealer. He is running a $100 off deal if you bring in a used complete saw. So the 6400 would cost 550. But I would have been buying a 7900 P&C for it very soon, because in the back of my mind I would know that this saw could have more poop.. So adding the cost of a PC to 550 would get me close to a 7900 anyways. Why mess with it....So I just went for the 7900...

Good luck with the 6401. I've watched several sell for a really reasonable price, then watched another go sky high. That's ebay for you. Plus I needed a saw this weekend for cutting. Unless my 192tc is up to felling some big 20-30" trees!!

I got an EHP7900 and a 5100 I think you made the right decision when you picked up the 7900 first.

If I could only have one saw it would be the 7900 over the smaller saws for what I need. A lot of the time I use it on the smaller wood because it’s faster to use it than to walk back and grab its little brother.

When I decided to get the 5100 Javelin had me set up and I have been very impressed with the saw. I have been thinking about getting it woods ported also just to see the difference between a stock saw and a ported saw.

Javelin is a good dealer and Dolmar needs more like him!

Latest posts

Back