the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
savin a nice bit of angophora lignotuber with the 66 for wood turners cavers. Was a great bit cut straight clean but to load was way to heavy to lift one piece, it still was choice bit of wood we''ll see what they make of it but will take some months

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IronBarc, just use a sock and then some womens stocking, stip them over the filter ...u can go 2 layers of stocking if needed, My filters stay really clean, any bigger chips seem to slide of the slippery surface of the stocking and with the super fine material it catches any fines before they reach the main filter, and on Big bore saws, they suck huge air ...so a air filter oil is a good idea, but if the main filter is oiled and not wrapped in a sock & stocking the fines and chips will stick to it, ....sock and stocking act like a pre-filter, keeping the main filter clean ....works a treat on my saws !

Hey Widowmaker thats just what Im after--thank you heaps for the advice and pics--damn good stuff--now to raid the washing basket-!
Cheers--ironbark

Hey Widowmaker thats just what Im after--thank you heaps for the advice and pics--damn good stuff--now to raid the washing basket-!
Cheers--ironbark

Hi mate. Hey the old fine dust getting through the Husky filters is nothing new and the only current filter setups that will keep it at bay is the Dolmar HD setup (for the 6400, 7300, and 7900) and the newer Stihl HD2 setups. You'll have to use filter oil to keep the garbage out of the Huskies and then keep a few spare filters on hand as they'll block quick. The dust will most likely be going straight through the filter element itself so greasing the seals etc is unlikely to help at all. I have had some pretty solid arguments on this forum with some of the yanks who simply can't believe this is possible - when all you cut is softwoods with full chisel chain throwing huge chips it's understandable that they don't comprehend the concept of "fine dust". It does depend a lot on what you're cutting though and a lot of our northern cousins have a hard time believing that standard filter setups struggle in our hardwood (they also struggle to understand the concept of semi chisel chain staying sharper for longer in some of the crap we cut). With filter oil the dust doesn't just "tap" off easily like the dry paper arrangements and although I've never needed any stockings etc I'm sure they can be handy for helping to "peel" the excess crap off. I just change out filters instead and blow them off later with a compressor.
I love my Husqvarnas but also run Stihls and Dolmars and the only downside to the Huskies is their filtration. They need to do something ASAP as far as I'm concerned.
For your info I actually gutted one of the filters on my 390XP and epoxied in the dry paper element from the Dolmar HD kit. Has never had a spot of dirt get through it since.

Check out the difference in surface area too between the Husky 390XP element and the Dolmar HD. There was enough surface area in one Dolmar HD filter to do two Husky filters...

05032011970.jpg

05032011964.jpg

05032011982.jpg

Last edited:
Just doing a tidy up of some old emails. Not sure if any of you fellow Aussies (and Randy!) would have seen this eBay ad but it's a classic. Have attached it as a .pdf...

Dammittall, couldn't get that there the web filter Matt, will try later.

Some of us Yanks know what fines are, burnt timber, old snags, Redwood bark, dry Cedar and such produce plenty of fines.
The carbon from burnt wood is pretty bad stuff.

Latest posts

Back