the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You forgot shiny, a shelfy needs to be really, really waxed and polished shiny. ;)

So true Rick,,,,, that's so that the owner can realy get into the bullsh#t side of showing off a shelf queen. 1st impression of a shelf queen is everything you know.

I know a elderly gentleman who collects work saws, not just any old work saws, but saws which were owned by a man who made a living with that particular saw in his area. Every saw he owns has a local story behind it.
They are not polished, they proberly don't even go but to him they are history within the timber industry. Some of his saws are only small, ie from prop cutters ect who worked years ago in his area.
I offered him some of my saws which were given to me by old log fallers and he said thanks but I don't know those men so he could not include them in his very private collection.

And yes he was a log faller / dozer driver, and I went to school with his son.

edit,,,,
My son went down to the State of Origin last night with the school, it cost $14.00 each to get in,,,, why oh why can't the dads go too to these things.
I tried to ring him a wile ago and his mother said he has not surfaced as yet, they got home at 4.30 dismorning.

Last edited:
So true Rick,,,,, that's so that the owner can realy get into the bullsh#t side of showing off a shelf queen. 1st impression of a shelf queen is everything you know.

I know a elderly gentleman who collects work saws, not just any old work saws, but saws which were owned by a man who made a living with that particular saw in his area. Every saw he owns has a local story behind it.
They are not polished, they proberly don't even go but to him they are history within the timber industry. Some of his saws are only small, ie from prop cutters ect who worked years ago in his area.
I offered him some of my saws which were given to me by old log fallers and he said thanks but I don't know those men so he could not include them in his very private collection.

And yes he was a log faller / dozer driver, and I went to school with his son.

edit,,,,
My son went down to the State of Origin last night with the school, it cost $14.00 each to get in,,,, why oh why can't the dads go too to these things.
I tried to ring him a wile ago and his mother said he has not surfaced as yet, they got home at 4.30 dismorning.

To true Neil, I would have to think twice about repainting an old saw. Once its painted it may look all shiny but it doesn't tell you what kind of life it had and how it was really used. Like an old saddle really, its worth more when it still has all the old wear marks and scratches, once its restored thats all gone.

Well that's OK i'll just have to wait on a few Stihl friends I still have i'm patient ..... as regards yesterdays credentials who cares

So true Bob, so why have you not realised that simple detail yourself.

Hows that turboed greenfield going, you got some miledge out of that one for a few days.

298799d1370483624-rh-medium-jpg
To true Neil, I would have to think twice about repainting an old saw. Once its painted it may look all shiny but it doesn't tell you what kind of life it had and how it was really used. Like an old saddle really, its worth more when it still has all the old wear marks and scratches, once its restored thats all gone.

Rudy, would you paint this one or leave it?

View attachment 298799

Last edited:
Hows that turboed greenfield going, you got some miledge out of that one for a few days.

Going great and thanks kindly for askin' gee its fast on the corners you should try one especially on your Huskies garanteed to scare the xxxx right outta ya

Last edited:
Rudy, would you paint this one or leave it?

View attachment 298799

Yes I would paint that one Wayne! Did the previous owner clean it with paint remover by any chance or just really worn out?

Just thinking out loud here seeing as the paint is already gone, how would she look all polished up with just a few painted pin stripes... and then maybe clear coat it.

Yes I would paint that one Wayne! Did the previous owner clean it with paint remover by any chance or just really worn out?

Just thinking out loud here seeing as the paint is already gone, how would she look all polished up with just a few painted pin stripes... and then maybe clear coat it.

I don't know it's history I bought it from a dealer, It had worn out rings & a dodgy plug lead, too late to polish it with pin stripes :msp_smile:

I don't know it's history I bought it from a dealer, It had worn out rings & a dodgy plug lead, too late to polish it with pin stripes :msp_smile:

You did a fine job as always Wayne! Definitely looks like new :msp_thumbup:

Thanks guys, Rick I had to google 'patina'.... I'm only a simple man ;).
I don't paint all the old saws I find, It's only the ones I think that look like crap.. or to be politically correct 'patina' :D

My OTC compression tester arrived today, the quality looks nice It even comes with a bag of spare parts

View attachment 298821

It has a decent size lead which makes it easy to use
View attachment 298822

Compared to my old cheap comp tester this one reads 7 psi higher

View attachment 298823View attachment 298824

Thanks guys, Rick I had to google 'patina'.... I'm only a simple man ;).
I don't paint all the old saws I find, It's only the ones I think that look like crap.. or to be politically correct 'patina' :D

My OTC compression tester arrived today, the quality looks nice It even comes with a bag of spare parts

View attachment 298821

It has a decent size lead which makes it easy to use
View attachment 298822

Compared to my old cheap comp tester this one reads 7 psi higher

View attachment 298823View attachment 298824

Now that is interesting.

How many pulls before the reading stabilised Wayne ?

The only reason I ask is that they (OTC) have several different versions and bike/small engine specific one uses a shorter hose yet is more exxy :dizzy:

The one you have is the 'deluxe' do everything one.

And sorry for the fancy words, English and History were my things at school yet all I wanted to do was work in engineering type fields, so go figure :dunno:

Neil, being a chainsaw racer..you would need one for each hand :D

Thanks Wayne for your confidance in my limited ability in saw use ,,,,, but alas I am just a 1 at a time user of chainsaws. I recon id be safe saying I could use that one you posted.

That comp tester looks good, mine are simular but I only use the short pipe with 1 fitting to do all saws..

Last edited:
Now that is interesting.

How many pulls before the reading stabilised Wayne ?

The only reason I ask is that they (OTC) have several different versions and bike/small engine specific one uses a shorter hose yet is more exxy :dizzy:

The one you have is the 'deluxe' do everything one.

And sorry for the fancy words, English and History were my things at school yet all I wanted to do was work in engineering type fields, so go figure :dunno:

I give it about 8 pulls, the OTC has a Schrader valve at the bottom of the hose, the other comp tester doesn't, maybe that's the reason for the different reading?

Where did you find that post from ??????????[/QUOTE]

it was either this thread ,bobs dodgey 090 one or Andrews ,can't remember ,but I reckon its a purla:biggrin:

Thanks Wayne for your confidance in my limited ability in saw use ,,,,, but alas I am just a 1 at a time user of chainsaws. I recon id be safe saying I could use that one you posted.

That comp tester looks good, mine are simular but I only use the short pipe with 1 fitting to do all saws..

1 at a time

Would that be 1 bar with 2 powerheads ? :)

Cheap right? lol. I'm guessing the Royal Purple oil is pretty good stuff :msp_confused:

I see they are now selling them as "used" they used to be advertised as new. I may have asked them if the had considered the legal and safety implications if someone were to get injured with their new modified saws. Gotta be careful nowadays with, OHS, EPA, etc. Could get yourself in some real hot water.

Latest posts

Back