The Best Chainsaw Stihl Makes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
For firewood cutting, I used strictly my 044 Mag and the one before it for two decades. It was always out of gas before I was ready to quit. This was also between ages of 18 and 39 and I never knew what vibration was. I was smiling the whole time as it chews through anything and I burn all the Osage Orange I can find. I've always also had a 026 Pro, but it got very little use.
I got an MS362 last March loving the idea of the new technology. If you are unfamiliar, look it up. Very good on gas, and the saw kept gaining power through the first 20 cords with carb settings from the German factory not altered. The only thing I didn't like was the element style filter. I felt as if it should have the heavy duty canister filter of my 044 and 066's. This was/is my sole complaint with the 026 Pro--just user preference on style of filter.
Then I met the MS261. It came with the round canister filter and is just an American-Made 50.2 cc version of the MS362 which can run 3/8" chain if I want.
Totally in love with the MS261 will never part with it. I could have held out for heated handles, but adrenaline is taking up the slack. Most fuel efficient saw I've owned for the power, weight, torque and snap. Highly recommended. Thanks, and please join the discussion.

Last edited:
Are you asking the best model? If so they have a few more than one. Man for firewood etc, that 44 mag is hard to beat. If I had that and all the other models you listed the 44 would be my choice.

Hey Woodcutter, I'm from Southern Illinois also, near Mt.vernon. I really like my MS261 and my 362 also. I had an old 044 I got in 1997 that I traded in 2006 for a new 441. The 441 was a great saw and I traded it last month for a 441 M Tronic. I am really getting to like the new 441 it is super smooth and has amazing power

Steve

Where was your 362 made ? mine says Virginia on the front sticker , I just popped the cherry on my 362 and it is pretty sweet .

Best Firewood Saw.

My MS362 was made in Germany. Love the way it runs. Needs an adapter to run Stihl heavy-duty filter if I'm going to keep it. The MS261 has a better filter. That's what this thread is about. I've tested them both extensively in freezing weather. I came here to go out on a limb for the MS261. If you can afford the gas, and want to run a 14 pound saw, use a 044 Mag.

Went through a similar thought process myself and bought a Stihl 460. I had too much big timber to harvest to go smaller and am very happy with the 460 even though it is a pretty thirsty puppy. That 261 is an excellent replacement candidate for my 55 Husky when it wears out.

Sorry I couldnt resist. I am a big stihl fan I have several. I really like my 460 it cuts anything. But as far as the stihl that makes me grin the most while running it, has to be my dads old 075. What a machine. I dont have any stihls in the 50-60cc size, i bought my 346xp husky and enjoy using it a lot because of its weight and speed and gas mileage. I would have bought a 260 stihl but I just wanted to get a new husky. I dont really need a 260 now, (I can't believe I said that) but if the right deal on one comes along I will buy one. My dad also has a 362 that is a very nice saw to run and someday I will probably get it from him. I guess it really depends on what I am cutting, if I am limbing or bucking. I like to carry my 020av in the truck for an emergency saw. Heck this is a hard question I like'em all.

O44 Mag

My 044 was the last one sold in North America according to the Stihl dealer in Vandalia, Illinois. I had one before which got stolen from the cab of my truck when I was delivering a load of Red Oak to the Blue Bell Club in Pana, Il during deer season one night. I knew just what I wanted but Stihl was inverting the model #'s then and the 440 was to have a decompression valve I didn't want. We found one in a warehouse and it was the last one there was. Ever. It would take a small fortune to get me to part with my completely stock Stihl 044. Got some video winding it up on some hedge on YouTube though, if you want to hear a prime specimen growling. Go to my home page.

My dad wore out a 029 then got a 290. I liked it but wanted a little more...didn't really know crap about saws then (and not much now to be honest). I got a 039. Sometimes it feels like too much saw and someimes not enough...must be a good compromise for my occational uses. Thanks to you guys I modded the muffler a few weeks ago when it was apart for an oil pump replacement.

Latest posts

Back