The Best Chainsaw Stihl Makes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love my 261 with a 16" B&C..
Love my 362 with a 20" B&C..
Love my 460 with a 25" B&C..

I have only put few tanks through the 460, tore up a few ShagBark Hickory's yesterday, good muscle saw for what I need..
261 and 362 very refined, 460 raw power..

I've been running my 460 with a 32" bar (came with the saw) on the shagbark hickory. Pulls right through it and makes me smile but I do like the 20" bar better.

I've been running my 460 with a 32" bar (came with the saw) on the shagbark hickory. Pulls right through it and makes me smile but I do like the 20" bar better.

I will try the 20" bar on my 460, the 362 pulls it strong, always good to compare..
Cheers..

221945d1328459639-img_0054-jpg

One of mineView attachment 221945

Just wondering, what did you use for a finish on this?

I really like my 032 that's my favorite saw. Runs a 20 b&c through a lot of oak, hickory, and walnut, and maple. Does everything I need I'm central Illinois

I wanna have an opinion on Stihl saws, but I've only ran one in my life back in 1989. I do not remember what model it or the husky was, but they were both 60 to 70 cc saws. Ran about one tank of gas thru each cutting up an elm tree. Some of ya are going to not like this but I preferred the husky better.
Lookin' forward to runnin' some of my coworkers saws this summer. Mac runs a 031 and an 032 and Justin has a 290 farm boss. Saws become legendary for a reason.

First Stihl I got to run was an 031AV my Dad bought new in about 1978. Ran the ever livin' dog outta' it for 3 years and traded it for a 045AV Super Electronic. Awesome torque, and dead reliable for 25 years (obviously not ran as hard as the 031). Today I run a woods ported 441R M-Tronic and a MS460 along with a woods ported JRed 2153.

Of the Stihls, the 441 is easily the best of the best. It actually seems to enjoy being challenged, and is very smooth too. I've never ran a 441 without the firmer (R version) AV springs, but this one feels great to me, definitely more "precise" than the JRed's springs. I don't really mind the flippies, and the filtration is the best IMHO.

I have very fond memories of my dad falling very large Oak trees with his Stihl 050AV.
We milled alot of Pinyon boards with the same saw.
I still own it, and it is the only Stihl I own, it is now a Shelf Queen.
So I say the Best Stihl Model ever is the 050AV.

Last edited:
See now I am thinking about selling my 1999 044 bought new by me and buying a new MS440 before they kill them off again .

Send me a PM when you're ready to part with the 044. :)

I think the 70cc class Stihls are the best. Can't pick closer than that.

Woodcutter tv

Did you muffler mod your 260 or 026? I use mine all the time and have had my eye on the 261 for some time. I love all my stihl saws and really like to pick the right saw for the size of wood im cutting. Do you think the 261 is light years ahead of 026,260?

Did you muffler mod your 260 or 026? I use mine all the time and have had my eye on the 261 for some time. I love all my stihl saws and really like to pick the right saw for the size of wood im cutting. Do you think the 261 is light years ahead of 026,260?

When I get ready to rebuild the 026 Pro, I'm gonna do some mods. Right now it is stock. I'm looking around to find who can do some light machining. And I have a NOS jug for it for back up. I've had it around twenty years. The MS261 is far ahead of the 026 because I am 100% fired up about the filter on the 261. It is so good. She's like a twist lock canister deal. Got the vibration stuff and all that. I never have liked the filter on the 026 though.

Of course everyone is going to have a different opinion here based on what they own and what they cut, but the two saws that I go to nearly everytime out, is the Rear Handle MS200 and the 046......and I have a lot of Stihl saws.

Tony

Latest posts

Back