The Best Chainsaw Stihl Makes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
221945d1328459639-img_0054-jpg
not on me, but i can certainly snap some later.

One of mineView attachment 221945

Last edited:
gun cabinet i made last year, Worm-hole maple w/ walnut handles. all hand made.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

But back to the thread. I only own one STIHL and its an Old 041 AV and i love it. looking forward to graduating from the 50cc class.

I liked, no love is the right word, the old 056 Stihl. A real money maker that you couldn't kill. Honorable mention for the old 032 Stihl. Amazing saw! Looking for a 044. Want one BAD!!
I really liked the 056 saws also. They and the 041 have a distinguished sound. The ignition system is the death of most 056 saws. They are getting scarce and hard to come by. My favorite always will be the 044 saws, pretty well the most perfect saw ever built, for me anyway.

I really liked the 056 saws also. They and the 041 have a distinguished sound. The ignition system is the death of most 056 saws. They are getting scarce and hard to come by. My favorite always will be the 044 saws, pretty well the most perfect saw ever built, for me anyway.

I have a really nice 056 Mag II I picked up a few years ago at my Stihl dealer. I really love the sound and how it cuts. I keep a 28" bar on it and it handles it really well. So far she hasn't missed a lick but it should have a SEM ignition that is still available if it does. I like my 660 but the 056 is fun when I feel like going"retro".

Steve

I would have to go with the 090AV. For the purpose it was built for, which would be felling large diameter and also nowadays mostly extermely hard tropical trees there isn't a Stihl saw that comes close to competing with it. And it has been produced for 40 years with the only changes being adding AV to it.

My MS362 was made in Germany. Love the way it runs. Needs an adapter to run Stihl heavy-duty filter if I'm going to keep it. The MS261 has a better filter. That's what this thread is about. I've tested them both extensively in freezing weather. I came here to go out on a limb for the MS261. If you can afford the gas, and want to run a 14 pound saw, use a 044 Mag.
Sorry post was a little confusing was not sure if it was a question. I guess it was a statement. 14 lb 44, you only saving a pound with the 362 weighing in at 13. And running a 14 lb saw, is where some of the best power to weight ratios on the planet start. 440-372 7900 The 362 is no slouche on the prisce, though a great saw around here about 710 out the door. Saving not much on weight or price vs the 440. Yet leaps in power gain jumping to a 440 and more versatile if you get in to big firewood, which I do not waste much so if you run in to big stuff you can still handle quartering it with a 440. All agreed good saws you will not hear argument from me on that, but the 44-440 power to weight and fuel mileage is pretty hard to beat. We have run 361-362 here, and 365 and 034, many other 60cc plus saws, and we all gas up about the same time difference being more wood is cut with the 44, because of the power and speed.

044 Magnus

Sorry post was a little confusing was not sure if it was a question. I guess it was a statement. 14 lb 44, you only saving a pound with the 362 weighing in at 13. And running a 14 lb saw, is where some of the best power to weight ratios on the planet start. 440-372 7900 The 362 is no slouche on the prisce, though a great saw around here about 710 out the door. Saving not much on weight or price vs the 440. Yet leaps in power gain jumping to a 440 and more versatile if you get in to big firewood, which I do not waste much so if you run in to big stuff you can still handle quartering it with a 440. All agreed good saws you will not hear argument from me on that, but the 44-440 power to weight and fuel mileage is pretty hard to beat. We have run 361-362 here, and 365 and 034, many other 60cc plus saws, and we all gas up about the same time difference being more wood is cut with the 44, because of the power and speed.

It's okay, Norm. Appreciate your input, Bro. For the record, I'm a huge fan and owner of the 044 mag and if any one tries to pry it from my cold, dead fingers, they better hope it is not still running. Have you heard of rigor mortis? How about a little Trigger Mortis?!
This thread is an attempt to promote the MS261 as the optimum firewood saw. At 11.5 pounds and 3.75 HP, I'll put it up against any wood. I broke the saw in on a YouTube video cutting frozen locust. Just put, "The Best Chainsaw Stihl Makes," in the search bar, or go to my home page. Very first cuts, Very first start, Brand New Stihl.

Picked up a 261 for my buddy at work the other day, says he loves it! Hooked up a deal with a member here got my other buddy a 026 he loves that one. Those are all sweet saws. Seems like the 261 is a big seller. Hillux, I would not part with that 044 If I was you, getting harder to replace them. When you can afford it get a new 440 too, if you can. I would hang on to that 44 though.

Half Throttle

And what is not explained in the video that day, is that I was breaking in the saw at various throttle positions, and won't really be laying down the law for awhile. Also it needed some carb adjusting as the Virginia Beach settings were not right for the ten degree day I was cutting in Illinois snow. Didn't bother wth the carb preheater shutter, either. I cut over Eight thousand pounds of Wild Cherry, Locust, Osage Orange and Red and White Oak that day, all frozen and on one tank of gas. (16.9 oz.)

Picked up a 261 for my buddy at work the other day, says he loves it! Hooked up a deal with a member here got my other buddy a 026 he loves that one. Those are all sweet saws. Seems like the 261 is a big seller. Hillux, I would not part with that 044 If I was you, getting harder to replace them. When you can afford it get a new 440 too, if you can. I would hang on to that 44 though.

I thought the 044 and MS440 were the same saw with the 440 having flippy caps .

Similar, and pretty close I would say. But a clean saw of the era you own, is a sweet runner, and built very well. I know from running old 046 mag's, and comparing them to the new ms 460, the 46 mags the same age and newer of your 044 were some of the best runners I have seen. I forget the exact year they went to the ms 440, but it is supposed to have a slight power gain. I just would hang on to the one you have unless you don't want it. If you gained anything it would not be much.

Hey do you know what kind of air filter that uses?Is it a large one like the MS440 has?

Stihl only makes one chainsaw worth owing. The ms200t. Sadly, it’s now a goner. The ms440 is also a great saw but a 372xp will do just fine in a pinch.

Last edited:
Hey do you know what kind of air filter that uses?Is it a large one like the MS440 has?
You asking if the filters are the same? Only change I saw is with the ones this year going to the HD filter the black one. Before that the ones I had seen where the same as my 044 the oval type oblang filter with the inner foam spit back piece, and the outer stretch piece that covers the outside of the filter. I am new at the hd system our new 460's have em, the ones we got last year had the original style. But size wise they are the same.

You asking if the filters are the same? Only change I saw is with the ones this year going to the HD filter the black one. Before that the ones I had seen where the same as my 044 the oval type oblang filter with the inner foam spit back piece, and the outer stretch piece that covers the outside of the filter. I am new at the hd system our new 460's have em, the ones we got last year had the original style. But size wise they are the same.

Good to know ,I might get one of them little saws.

Latest posts

Back