The best for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redheadwoodshed

Freebird
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't end up in the chainsaw forum because I would like to hear from firewood folks. What is the best chainsaw for firewood.Right out of the box, fuel and oil, fire her up and cut.No mods or all that.Would like to hear all opinions

I seem to hear a lot of raving over the 440 but new, the 460 is only about 20 bucks more.
I really like my 038mag, but would like to have something a little bit meaner.

I love my MS441. But if I could only have one saw it would be the MS260. I use that 75% of the time and I'd hate to limb with the 441.

Size does matter

Out of the box? All saws should be properly tuned. Some are tuned too lean at the factory, and that's why you should buy from a good dealer who will properly tune it before you leave the shop.

The "best" saw is one that's sized for the job. If most of your cuts are under 16" diameter, then a 50cc pro saw running .325 pitch chain will make you happy. NE346XP, MS261.

If you often run into large wood, say 20" and bigger, a 70cc+ pro saw will get the job done and save you work. MS441, 372XP/W

One saw compromise? Look to a 60cc saw such as the MS361 or MS362. The game changer may be the soon to be released 560/562XP. These 60cc saws and larger displacement models can competently run 3/8 pitch chain.

...and with all that being said, my "go to" saw most of the time is the NE346XP. The only thing I don't like about it is the outboard clutch, but it's minor tradeoff for the chain speed and great throttle response.

Hey what do they cost now?

Distributor Suggested Retail Price $939.99-25 in.Bar

STIHL Magnum™
Series 1128
Professional Use
One of the world's largest-selling professional saws. Powerful, all-around model for felling and bucking, the MS 440's smooth contours also make it a great limbing saw. An IntelliCarbTM compensating carburetor lets you cut longer between filter cleanings and the decompression valve for easier cold starts. Wrap-handle version (R) also available.

MS 440 STIHL Magnum™ Chain Saw Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 70.7 cc (4.3 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 4.0 kw (5.3 bhp)
WEIGHT
Flush-Cut (Pictured)
Wrap-Handle
Arctic (Powerhead only)
6.3kg (13.9lbs)
6.7kg (14.8lbs)
6.5kg (14.3lbs)
FUEL CAPACITY 780 cc (26.4 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 275cc (9.3 oz.)
OILOMAT

MS 460 STIHL Magnum™ Chain Saw
Distributor Suggested Retail Price $989.99 25 in.-Bar

STIHL Magnum™
Series 1128
Professional Use
A perfect fit for the demanding professional, the MS 460 STIHL Magnum™ is one tough high-performance chain saw. High engine power and torque, resulting in an impressive power-to-weight ratio, make this tool a great all around professional chain saw for forest or tree service.

MS 460 STIHL Magnum™ Chain Saw Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 76.5 cc (4.7 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 4.5 kW (6.0 bhp)
WEIGHT
(powerhead only)Flush-Cut 6.6 kg (14.6 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 800 cc (27.1 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 325 cc (11.0 oz.)
OILOMATIC® CHAIN 3/8" RSC3
RECOMMENDED
RANGE OF
GUIDE BAR
LENGTHS 40 to 80 cm
(16" to 32")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E Super

STIHL Magnum™
Series 1128
Professional Use
A perfect fit for the demanding professional, the MS 460 STIHL Magnum™ is one tough high-performance chain saw. High engine power and torque, resulting in an impressive power-to-weight ratio, make this tool a great all around professional chain saw for forest or tree service.

WEIGHT
RECOMMENDED
RANGE OF
GUIDE BAR
LENGTHS 40 to 80 cm
(16" to 32")

O.K. it's 50$ difference, but I still say its worth the 50$

Last edited:
Distributor Suggested Retail Price $939.99-25 in.Bar

STIHL Magnum™
Series 1128
Professional Use
One of the world's largest-selling professional saws. Powerful, all-around model for felling and bucking, the MS 440's smooth contours also make it a great limbing saw. An IntelliCarbTM compensating carburetor lets you cut longer between filter cleanings and the decompression valve for easier cold starts. Wrap-handle version (R) also available.

MS 440 STIHL Magnum™ Chain Saw Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 70.7 cc (4.3 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 4.0 kw (5.3 bhp)
WEIGHT
Flush-Cut (Pictured)
Wrap-Handle
Arctic (Powerhead only)
6.3kg (13.9lbs)
6.7kg (14.8lbs)
6.5kg (14.3lbs)
FUEL CAPACITY 780 cc (26.4 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 275cc (9.3 oz.)
OILOMAT

MS 460 STIHL Magnum™ Chain Saw
Distributor Suggested Retail Price $989.99 25 in.-Bar

STIHL Magnum™
Series 1128
Professional Use

WEIGHT
RECOMMENDED
RANGE OF
GUIDE BAR
LENGTHS 40 to 80 cm
(16" to 32")

STIHL Magnum™
Series 1128
Professional Use

WEIGHT
RECOMMENDED
RANGE OF
GUIDE BAR
LENGTHS 40 to 80 cm
(16" to 32")

O.K. it's 50$ difference, but I still say its worth the 50$
The prices are getting out of reach for a lot of people.

I don't think there is one

I hope this doesn't end up in the chainsaw forum because I would like to hear from firewood folks. What is the best chainsaw for firewood.Right out of the box, fuel and oil, fire her up and cut.No mods or all that.Would like to hear all opinions

Really, I don't. Firewood, and I can only comment on eastern hardwoods, just comes in way too many sizes for a one saw plan. You can do it of course, but you'll be compromising all over the place. Unless you are completely and totally wasteful and never take any limbs and branches and only cut trunks. Or vice versa. You really need two different saws, a trim saw for that great pile of "don't need no splittin" size you can get from most hardwoods, and a beefier felling and bucking saw for the main trunk and the thicker parts of the branches.

With that said, I'll "echo" the sentiment on a 60 cc saw as the best possible compromise for a one saw plan. Because a good two saw plan, according to the bulk of the commentary I have read anyway, is 40-50 cc then a 70, so a 60 falls in there. Just have a couple/three bar sizes and loops with you then, say a sixteen and a twenty or even a twenty four.

I don't have the experience on all the various brands to pick one over another, so I won't. I will say this, I have cut a *lot* of firewood in my life with used smaller cheap saws. Saws that no one really wanted, ten and twenty buck saws.

Chain sharpness and technique is like adding 30 ccs, something like that, to your saw. I still to this day cut the bulk of my personal firewood with a 36cc "homeowner" saw! And I can and do cut upwards of twenty inch thick trunks with it, cutting from both sides. I burn around 4.5 to 5 cord a year, and last year cut around seven, as I am trying to build up the stash to several years in advance.

I just watch my chips. When they start getting smaller, I slow down, when they get to around half the size of what I was getting on the first cuts, that's it, I resharpen. And I don't even use the expensive "pro" chain, I run used old crappy homeowner safety chain (not kidding, I get them free or for like a buck outta the junk pile at the shop in town), I just file the rakers and safety link bumps down a scosh all the time. I give the cutters enough room to grab, but not be overly aggressive, no sense beating on a little engine like that.

Fuel mileage is *great* with the smaller saws as well, another bonus.

And I milk trees out, take a lot of the smaller stuff. What is left over is easy to run over with a rotary mower, that's my dividing line, down to what I can break with my hands or stomp with my boots, that's small enough to not matter mowing over it, and gives me a lot more wood per tree to take home, with another bonus of not needing to split so much to make my stacks big. Ya, takes a little more time, but I love sawing and running a lighter weight saw is a breeze.

Also I just don't like being wasteful, and I don't like branch piles anyplace, I look at them and go "yeech, one year from now will be a weed mess there". Don't need it, rather have nice pasture, and don't do burn piles, so I cut down to small size.

Right now on this whole farm I only have one small pile I need to go through again, cut some more out of it, and a small fence area I need to do the same to, the rest, you can't hardly tell where I have cut, because I leave so little. When I get done I want to be able to drive a tractor over the area and not worry about tires, snagging hydraulic lines, that sort of thing.

So..that's ME, it ain't YOU, your situation could be radically different, so only you can answer what size of saw you need. And there's a difference between "need" and "want" to consider as well.

How much do you cut? What species and size? How much time can you spend at the woodlot milking out a tree? How many cords a year do you need? What size do your burn pieces need to be? Can you afford a pro saw and then only use it for your own personal wood, so it will last a long time? If not, is used "good enough" and spend the savings someplace else, like truck fuel and insurance? New saws ain't cheap....Can you do all your own maintenance, or if it breaks, does it have to go to the sixty buck an hour shop?

And new saws today I definitely do NOT trust them as they come with stock carb settings. Not from anyone. Now maybe those new "autotune" carbs are spiffy, I just don't know, maybe those saws can be run stock with few issues. No experience with them at all.

If warranty is a good thing for you, the best out there I am aware of are echos and tanakas, five and seven years. AFAIK husky and stihl are only two years, and I forget makita/dolmar. Get one from a dealer, let them set it up, then run it as instructed, then have them retune it after how many tanks they suggest.

That is probably your best bet for a personal firewood one saw plan, if buying brand new.

Now buying used is totally different, your best bet there is any of the old traditional talked about pro saws where aftermarket parts are cheap and plentiful and all the little nuances have been well worked out already, so you have work arounds for the "gotchas".

I like your question, though, and would like an answer as well, but we have no real scientific independent reviews. A real review would consist of total tear downs, metallurgy testing, other stress testing, etc, magnafluxing of all the parts, and etc, right down to the last bolt and bearing. Plus analysis of over all design. Doesn't exist, no one does it.(well, the big companies do it but keep the results secret...) A real engineering review, just slap don't exist no place I have seen where any random joe saw buyer can see it.

The best we have to go on is anecdotal reports from people who can have HUGE differences in sawing technique and types of wood they cut, and "builders" who do a tear down and post some pics. And we have no idea on any of the this year model saws, the latest advanced designs, they haven't been out long enough to see if they will really hold up! They may cut like a banshee for a year or two, then turn out the framis valve blows and impacts the dojammer relay and ..whatever. who knoweth...

The most reliable would be..a modern cross cut with a good set of files and a set tool. Wouldn't be the fastest, but would be the most reliable, hands down.

No right answer

Totally dependent on how much you cut and the size. Also what brands are available in your area.

My opinion, best bang for the buck that will truly do everything from felling, limbing, and bucking is the Dolmar PS7900 with a 20 inch B&C. Power of an 80 to 85 cc saw with a weight that a lot of 70cc class saws wish they had. Pricing around here is in the $650 to $700 range. In short out of the box, there is no other saw I know of that gets close to the Dolmar's power in the same weight range. The fact it's $100 to $150 less than it's competitor(s) is a huge bonus.

Take care

The question is to vague. What do you want to spend? How big of wood? I have several pro saws with 2 ft bars. My wife will tell you the house was just as warm when I only owned a 290 with an 18 inch bar. I didn't like it but it served me very well. I bought the bigger saws for fun because I wanted them. Buy a good saw that is not to heavy for you. Take care of it. You will be warm.

If my prices were the same as listed I'd have probably gone for the 460, but brand new my 441 was just a hair over $800 at the dealer.

The 441 is all I use. It's not ideal when limbing, but you get used to the weight for that and the way it runs through logs for bucking makes it a lot of fun to use.

I have a lot of buddies who burn as well though and most of them have your 024's and the like and they'd never change. However the cost is having to pass up big wood when it comes your way.

You just have to look at your experience level and what you are comfortable with working with all day. Some people I wouldn't recommend the 441/460 to because it's way too much saw for them.

Zogger said exactly what I'd say about firewood saws and firewooding. I'm glas I read it, as it was a ton of typing. Thanks Zogger.

Bill

Latest posts

Back