The best for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the preface, "for the money" I will say that the MS290 would be the best all around saw for firewood. I started out with one and cut for 3 years with nothing else for a total of 50 or so cords. Would I want to give up my 460? No way. But if money is an issue and you need to heat your home, the Farm Boss with a sharp chain will do almost anything you need to do to accomplish that.

Lots of good points made here, yes I left out out of the box and tuned, I shouldn't have as I had a bad experience with my 350 husky when I bought it in '99.I thought, 'what a piece of junk.That old wore out xl12 cuts circles around this thing'.And I took it back, demanding my money back or a saw that would start sometimes today and would actually cut a log.I was a little frustrated.Anyway, the saw shop dude when he percieved the cause of my dissatisfaction, proceded to start her up and tune her up and we lived happily ever after.I have cut a whole bunch of wood with that 350,it's hard to even look at an xl12 or the like now, although we cut years worth of wood with that and an old Poulan(don't remember the model)I was the splitter in those days, Pops was the faller/bucker.
Price is always a consideration.I really hate to part with any bill $20 or larger:biggrin:But I do write it all of on my taxes so it doesn't hurt for long.
I was mostly just curious about what other firewood folks used for their saw.I cut anything I can get, and lately that seems to be 24" and up.Which I like.The ms 391 does real good and I haven't had any problems out of it, but then I got that 038mag and it quickly became my favorite.It has a couple more cc's than the 440, but I've never used a 440 or 441 so I can't compare.
yes, a good sharp chain makes a big differance.
I don't know what a 440 or 460 would actually cost, I got those prices off the website.Maybe they don't cost as much at the dealer.

No right answer

Totally dependent on how much you cut and the size. Also what brands are available in your area.

My opinion, best bang for the buck that will truly do everything from felling, limbing, and bucking is the Dolmar PS7900 with a 20 inch B&C. Power of an 80 to 85 cc saw with a weight that a lot of 70cc class saws wish they had. Pricing around here is in the $650 to $700 range. In short out of the box, there is no other saw I know of that gets close to the Dolmar's power in the same weight range. The fact it's $100 to $150 less than it's competitor(s) is a huge bonus.

Take care

+1... Nothing wrong with the others, but nothing touches the power to weight of the 7900... Not even the venerable 346xp... Which will probably be my next saw...:msp_wink:

firewood cutter

I hope this doesn't end up in the chainsaw forum because I would like to hear from firewood folks. What is the best chainsaw for firewood.Right out of the box, fuel and oil, fire her up and cut.No mods or all that.Would like to hear all opinions
I have to go up to Maine pretty soon to help my old buddy get his firewood in for the winter. I was thinking what to bring for saws. I own about 15. Here and on loan and sort of captured. After thinking about it I thought, " I have to bring my Efco." It always starts and runs and I always come home with a good load of firewood when I take it. I have a 262 Husky that I love. My Makita 6401 is serious and is soon to be a lot more serious after nmurph got thru building the 79cc setup. A little heavy for all day cutting though. Believe it or not my 310 Stihl now will really produce after a MM. But this is right out of the box efficient producer.

i would have to go with my Efco 156. Surprised the hell out of me when I first fired it up. I've been heating with wood since the oil embargo of the 70's! Have disconnected the gas furnace (pilot alone up here is $60 a month), So I know a little about heating with wood. Have logged professionally years ago. Still sell and give away firewood. Granted we don't have the big wood that is found inland but I lived in S.E.Ohio in the 80's and heated with wood using Stihl and Huskies almost exclusively. Aside from the 372 Husky and the 440/460 Stihl, and The Makita's I don't see anything that I would buy out there. Thanks Bob(Cheeves)

I have to go up to Maine pretty soon to help my old buddy get his firewood in for the winter. I was thinking what to bring for saws. I own about 15. Here and on loan and sort of captured. After thinking about it I thought, " I have to bring my Efco." It always starts and runs and I always come home with a good load of firewood when I take it. I have a 262 Husky that I love. My Makita 6401 is serious and is soon to be a lot more serious after nmurph got thru building the 79cc setup. A little heavy for all day cutting though. Believe it or not my 310 Stihl now will really produce after a MM. But this is right out of the box efficient producer.

i would have to go with my Efco 156. Surprised the hell out of me when I first fired it up. I've been heating with wood since the oil embargo of the 70's! Have disconnected the gas furnace (pilot alone up here is $60 a month), So I know a little about heating with wood. Have logged professionally years ago. Still sell and give away firewood. Granted we don't have the big wood that is found inland but I lived in S.E.Ohio in the 80's and heated with wood using Stihl and Huskies almost exclusively. Aside from the 372 Husky and the 440/460 Stihl, and The Makita's I don't see anything that I would buy out there. Thanks Bob(Cheeves)

The Efco saws are under rated for sure... The deere branded efco's were fine saws...:rock:

The best saw for firewood is the one that starts and runs every time without a bunch of drama. It should easily handle an 18-20" bar, possibly as short as a 16" or possibly a 24" depending on your location and inclination. 50ish-70ish ccs depending on the same. How 's that?

The best firwood saw is the one you feel comfortable with and has good dealer support nearby when you have an issue. Can you get by with a 290 or a 260? you sure can. The advantage to having the bigger 70 to 90cc saws is the speed at which they handle big wood. I have a MS660 with a 36" bar, do I use it much? not really but from time to time someone has a big tree they need help with and I can handle the job and end up with LOTS of firewood. Get a big saw and the wood will come to you.

Steve

Some great answers here. The common theme seems to be that "cutting firewood" can mean many different things. I have benn cutting on and off for 35 years, doing it in many different scenarios, and have used a variety of saws.

My first cutting experience was cutting tops leftover from logging jobs. My father was an excvating contractor and former logger, so here had contacts to clean up after logging jobs. My job was to cut the smaller branches off the tops-I used a Mini-Mac 120 with a 12" bar-perfect for a 14 year old that weighed 120 lbs.

Later, when I had accumulated some experience with saws and grew, I would cut tops as dad skidded them out. He would skid 3-7 tops and/or whole reject trees every hitch, and I tried to keep up so the landing would be clear and he could push the blocks into a pile with the dozer. I used a ProMac 850-82ccs- and needed every bit of that saw's power to keep up with Dad.

I burned wood for a couple of years in the 1990's. My cutting consted of thinning at my brother's property and cleaning up tops after he had his woods logged, as well as cleaning up after an arborist friend did removal jobs I used a Husky 66 then-I had just bought a house, money was tight, and I picked the 66 up from a friend for a song. It was a little small for some of the huge pieces of wood I encountered cleaning up after the arborist, and a bit heavy for thinning work, but it was all I had and it got the job done.

After several years of not cutting, I am back in the game. My brother trades equipment hauling services with a local logger for tri-axle loads of logs-we are cutting up 7-10 loads a year for his use and to sell the rest. He has a Stihl 460, a 362, and an 028. I still have the 66 and a Stihl 260 I picked up last year because I wanted a lighter saw. We probaly use the smaller Stihls 50% of the time-we will break out the 460 for sticks over 14" or so, and now and them break out Dad's old Mac to stroll down memory lane.

Probably the "best" one saw we own is either the Husky 66 or the Stihl 362-and they are used the least!

Will

I cut firewood with the smallest saw possible. Until this year that meant 90% of my supply was cut with my MS170. From now on it'll probably be 90% cut with my MS 211. After cutting the leaves and twigs off, cutting the limbs to length, I just start on the smaller end and work my way down the trunk until I run out of gas or bar. why?...it'd take more time to walk back and get the big saw, than to just keep cutting...when I run out of gas (usually happens first), then I have to walk back anyway...time for the bigger saw.

all about least amount of time from first cut to last piece put on the pile. besides...big trees take longer to turn into firewood than small trees...or maybe it just seems that way :msp_tongue:

you want a 1 saw opinion for firewood?...I'm beginning to take notice of the MS 271...like to try one someday I think :msp_mellow:

Not gonna get any respect from this post but what the hell,,,

I have a little 210 that positively sips. I can fill 1.5 Ranger beds on a single tank once felled. Bought it new as a relible firewood backup to my used 360pro and 2149 (jRed). I alternate between the 50 and 60 cc'ers, but always take little 210 along. Great limber and makes fairly quick through the 4-8" stuff. Seems almost wasteful to use a big saw on a 6" log.

My advice, bring one in the mid 30 cc range for routine and small stuff and something 50-80cc depending on the bigger work orders. The 50cc jred is usally all I need, though there's a ca. 1980 homelite in tow incase 84 ccs are needed

i dont know who most of these guys think they are kidding
if they think they are above a wild thang, they are sorely mistaken
all you need are a couple wild thangs, some sharp blades, and some gatorade
one wild thang with a 16"
the other with a 24"
if that doesnt cut it, it aint worth cuttin

Not gonna get any respect from this post but what the hell,,,

I have a little 210 that positively sips. I can fill 1.5 Ranger beds on a single tank once felled. Bought it new as a relible firewood backup to my used 360pro and 2149 (jRed). I alternate between the 50 and 60 cc'ers, but always take little 210 along. Great limber and makes fairly quick through the 4-8" stuff. Seems almost wasteful to use a big saw on a 6" log.

My advice, bring one in the mid 30 cc range for routine and small stuff and something 50-80cc depending on the bigger work orders. The 50cc jred is usally all I need, though there's a ca. 1980 homelite in tow incase 84 ccs are needed

You got my respect. I totally agree.
The MS210 is perfect for what you said.
I've been cutting firewood only a few years.
I started out with the MS210 and MS390.
My MS390 is lacking power the larger timber so I decided to replace it with an MS460.
If I can find an MS261 dirt cheap, I will replace my MS210; it's only a pound more in weight.

Your joking
In Ozz a 460 goes for about $1450 and a 660 $1700
But we do get dual port muffs and twin bumper spikes and even roller chain catchers.

Across the ditch we're paying $2300 for a 460 and $2500 for a 660, with the dual port muffer etc

The best saw for firewood is the one that starts and runs every time without a bunch of drama. It should easily handle an 18-20" bar, possibly as short as a 16" or possibly a 24" depending on your location and inclination. 50ish-70ish c.c.s depending on the same. How 's that?

Sounds like your talking about my 357xp.

At one time last year I had a ms 290 w/18", 038 mag w/24" and 36", and a ms192T. I used the 038 the most except when limbing. When I was running the 36" bar on the 038 for the big stuff (which is about every tree I get) and it did not have enough power. So I got rid of the 290 and 038 to help pay for a MS 660. I love the 660 it does not feel much heavier than the 038 and is alot faster. I wish I could try out a 460 sometime.

Back